Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:12 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times

Advertisements

Heard a radio show today talking about the rise of low budget airfares offered by carriers such as Wow Air and Norwegian. It looks like if you play the game right you (such as connecting in Reykjavik or bringing only one suitcase) one can visit Europe roundtrip for as little as $199. Anyone else excited? Tonight I saw a $99 roundtrip fare from Boston to Dublin but forgot the carrier. Hopefully Americans will put their iPhones down and travel now?

crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Heard a radio show today talking about the rise of low budget airfares offered by carriers such as Wow Air and Norwegian. It looks like if you play the game right you (such as connecting in Reykjavik or bringing only one suitcase) one can visit Europe roundtrip for as little as $199. Anyone else excited? Tonight I saw a $99 roundtrip fare from Boston to Dublin but forgot the carrier. Hopefully Americans will put their iPhones down and travel now?

crazy
I assure you that they will be taking their cell phones.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I was able to score a $432 flight on Delta from Ontario, CA to AMS in April.. I saw one from here to Brussels for 383 a couple of weeks ago. deals are out there!

Old 08-10-2017, 09:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
...looks like if you play the game right you (such as connecting in Reykjavik ...
Icelandic Air used to have the BEST rates available.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Some of the fares I see from LAX to LHR are absolutely shocking... $1500 in May. I remember I used to travel to LHR in May for around $600 round trip... this was in 2006.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Some of the fares I see from LAX to LHR are absolutely shocking... $1500 in May. I remember I used to travel to LHR in May for around $600 round trip... this was in 2006.
Thats strange, I have been seeing a ton of cheap fares to LHR and LGW from LAX and Ontario

Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:

crazy
I had to see this for myself so I just went on Norwegian Airlines' site and the prices are so low that it's unbelievable! Their cost from east coast of US to London is a less than 1/3 what I paid when I went last year. I almost want to buy my ticket tonight to one of their destinations but don't want to go alone. I'll ask friends if anyone is interested in going. If I can get a friend to be my travel-buddy, I'm booking a flight within the next few days for a trip later this year or early next year. Thanks for putting the word out!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:30 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
My daughter and I flew from Orlando to London Gatwick on Norwegian a few months ago. Yes, the advertised price is very low.

However, the low-cost air fare did not include an assigned seat, a credit card surcharge, food, checked luggage, and probably other fees that I'm forgetting.

We upgraded our tickets to include assigned seats (no upgrade in class of service), meals, and one checked bag each. That brought the price up considerably.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:41 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I had to see this for myself so I just went on Norwegian Airlines' site and the prices are so low that it's unbelievable! Their cost from east coast of US to London is a less than 1/3 what I paid when I went last year. I almost want to buy my ticket tonight to one of their destinations but don't want to go alone. I'll ask friends if anyone is interested in going. If I can get a friend to be my travel-buddy, I'm booking a flight within the next few days for a trip later this year or early next year. Thanks for putting the word out!
Wow air seems too good to be true. Just don't want 2 connections including Reykjavik

Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 AM

2,118 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Quote:
Wow air seems too good to be true. Just don't want 2 connections including Reykjavik
Actually I don't think Wow is too good to be true. I have flown them to Amsterdam and Reykjavik and both experiences we good. I think they are fine when traveling from the east coast since the flight from Baltimore to Iceland is about 6 hours. The plane was comfortable, with the only downside being that there isn't any in-flight entertainment or wifi. Your biggest potential expenses with Wow are bag fees and food on board and both can avoided with some planning. If you are flying from the west coast, I agree that they may not be as attractive since you are looking at 9 hours to just get to Iceland.

I do welcome the presence of low cost carriers because it makes international travel more affordable and I think it will start to change the way we think about going to some international destinations. When I went to Iceland, I left on a Thursday night and returned on Sunday evening and the ticket was under $300 which was cheaper than a weekend getaway to the west coast but roughly the same amount of travel time. Add another day or two and you can venture further into mainland Europe. It encourages people to look at Europe as more than an once in a lifetime destination that needs 2 to 3 weeks of time to "make it worth it" I hope that as these carriers become more popular it would start to encourage more airlines to provide service to these destinations at a discounted price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel