U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:57 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,871,698 times

Advertisements

The amount of time really depends on the airport and the time of the day/flights. I fly out of Las Vegas and on holiday weekends, the time in line at TSA can get up to 30-45 minutes. And I was at LAX recently for a flight to Fiji and we were in line to check in at the Fiji Airways desk for about 30 minutes. Now, if you intend to fly more frequently, you could get a pre-check card which will get you through TSA much quicker. Also, if you want to pay for first class, it can have it's own line, depending on the airport.

I really can't understand why you think using a wheelchair is "demeaning". If you need it, you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:24 PM

696 posts, read 616,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you call ahead to your airline and reserve a wheelchair, there's very little wait. I reserved a wheelchair for my mother, and when we arrived at the ticket counter to check our bags, I let them know that we had reserved a wheelchair. They pointed us to some nearby seats, and within 5 minutes, someone had arrived.

It's also a good idea for connecting flights and arrival airports. If your airline knows in advance of the request, there will be someone waiting on the jetbridge with a wheelchair and a sign with your name.
If you use a wheelchair what happens to your luggage? How do you bring it with you? I'm also a bit of a germaphobe so sitting in a wheelchair that I imagine mostly elderly people who may wear diapers sit in is gross to me.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:30 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,427,493 times
How do you get around if you can't stand (does this include walking?) for more than 2 minutes at a time?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:44 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,427,493 times
You can check in online, but if you need to check a bag you may need to stand at a kiosk (and possibly to wait for one), then stand in another line to drop off your bag.

You will need to stand in line for security. It's impossible to say how long that will take, it differs dramatically between airport, day, time of day, etc.

One at your gate, you can wait until the final boarding call is announced and then walk on. However, if you expected to carry on luggage that can't fit under your seat, you'll probably be out of luck if you wait. Of course, you could also book a first class ticket--they board first.

I'd contact the airline and see what they recommend but I strongly suspect they will suggest a wheelchair. An airline employee will assist with your luggage.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:21 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,108,941 times
Depends 100% on the airport and whether it's an international flight.

I just flew international out of Toronto and it was literally unbelievable how far I had to walk and how long I had to stand. I had to go through four VERY long lines after about a 1/8 mile hike with my luggage in tow - one to get my own luggage tags, another to drop off my luggage, then a unbelievably long line for security, and then yet another long line for US customs . It was also very humid - I wanted a shower when it was all over.

I could have used one of those wheel chairs myself and I'm healthy. Honestly, when it was over I felt like I never wanted to do it again!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:37 PM

9,790 posts, read 5,004,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
If you use a wheelchair what happens to your luggage? How do you bring it with you? I'm also a bit of a germaphobe so sitting in a wheelchair that I imagine mostly elderly people who may wear diapers sit in is gross to me.
There's a place under the seat where they can place your rolling carryon. Mom carried her personal item in her lap.

Do you sit in the chairs at the gate? The seats on the plane? I'm not sure how that's different than the wheelchair.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 PM

5,243 posts, read 3,012,247 times
I have never seen a "handicap card". We routinely tell the airline that we want wheelchairs and pick them up at the curbside baggage check-in. They wheel us through security and to the gate where we sit in the wheelchairs until we actually board. They meet us at the destination with chairs and reverse the process.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 PM

1,910 posts, read 959,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you call ahead to your airline and reserve a wheelchair, there's very little wait. I reserved a wheelchair for my mother, and when we arrived at the ticket counter to check our bags, I let them know that we had reserved a wheelchair. They pointed us to some nearby seats, and within 5 minutes, someone had arrived.

It's also a good idea for connecting flights and arrival airports. If your airline knows in advance of the request, there will be someone waiting on the jetbridge with a wheelchair and a sign with your name.

Unfortunately, sometimes they goof up on the wheelchair reservations and nobody is there. I was picking up my mother and got a pass to go to the gate to meet her. She had a wheelchair request in the record but when she hobbled off the plane, there was no one there with a chair. I asked the desk agent about it and she acknowledged that there was a request but she had no idea why nobody had shown up. She didn't appear particularly interested and started to walk off and I stopped her and asked her to call for a chair. She looked annoyed and asked, "Does she really need a chair?" I was getting a little ticked off and mom needed to get to the bathroom pretty quickly by then. The desk agent called someone and said, "Someone will be here soon" and walked off. We waited for several minutes. Nobody showed. I happened to see an empty chair in the next waiting area and loaded my mom into it. The desk agent returned and said, "You aren't allowed to push the chair." I said, "Watch me...." and pushed mom off to the bathroom. Eventually, a guy did show up and pushed us to the baggage area.

If you read the handicapped forum over on Travelbuzz, you'll read horror stories of people left at the gate without wheelchair service.

Thank goodness, that's the only time we ever had a problem with the service but you do have to be prepared for problems.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 PM

1,910 posts, read 959,763 times
Quote:
I would like to fly to another city in the US, but have not been on a plane since I was 3. I am have joint problems and it hurts alot for me to stand for more than a minute or 2. I am wondering how long you have to stand or wait in line before they let you on the plane? I don't want to use one of the airport wheelchairs because I am a younger guy and I feel it is demeaning.
Quote:
Millions of people with significant handicaps travel all over the world every year and I'm sure very few of them feel "demeaned" by using any available services that make it easier for them to travel.

It's your choice to suffer unnecessary pain and have your trip ruined but keep your "dignity" or use the available services and breeze through the airport.

I think you're going to need to decide just how much you want to take this trip. It may be that it is just easier for you to stay home. Millions of people have to choose that option, too.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 PM

3,883 posts, read 1,649,879 times
I also have trouble standing. I sit in lines sometimes.
And sometimes I get a wheelchair. The wheelchair guys are nice, get you through security fast, then you board the plane before other passengers. Make sure you tip them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or