U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:40 PM

1,910 posts, read 959,763 times

Advertisements

I have a three-week international trip coming up in February to a hot Asian country and I want my suitcase as empty as possible for purchases. I'm saving up my old undies and bras to toss when dirty. I bought some nighties at Walmart for $2 each...wear and toss. I have a lot of old t-shirts I never wear; guess what's going with me and not coming home? Shoes? Who wants to bring stinky old shoes home? Athletic socks are cheap; toss. A swimsuit that's seen better days goes in the trash on the last day and I don't have to bring a wet suit home.

I'll have a pair of dressier slacks and a couple of nicer tops that dry quickly. Some powdered laundry detergent in a ziplock bag and I can wash them out and dry them overnight.

I have a big black silk 54" square scarf that covers a multitude of sins and takes up almost no room. Head and shoulder covering for church/mosque/temple visits, a wrap-around if my skirt is too short.

I have a thigh-length gauzy hooded long-sleeve shirt for a cover-up, sunshield, modest attire. Packs small and looks fine wrinkled, dries quickly. Two thin broomstick skirts and two pairs of cropped pants.

I like my particular brand of shampoo and shower soap, but three weeks without won't ruin my skin or hair. I'll use the stuff in the hotels. No hairdryer; I'll use the hotel ones or air dry. Luckily, I have short hair, so it doesn't need much care. Makeup at a bare minimum; one neutral lipstick and an eyebrow pencil will do it. No perfume; I'll buy some moisturizer when I get there. A packable sun hat. A light jacket for the trip.

The one thing I will bring is some raggedy washcloths I have hanging around. I've found that a lot of foreign hotels don't have washcloths and I really like one. A wet cloth for 2-3 days in a ziplock bag and then toss it.

Those disposable boxers look really uncomfortable.....baggy and crinkly. I can't imagine that the ladies' version is much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:57 PM

15,222 posts, read 8,518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
We're all aware that it's useful to learn some basic phrases when traveling abroad and that no alcohol helps thwart jetlag on a transatlantic flight. What about the travel tips that are a little outside of the box? Here's one I picked up that some of you might find ultra weird:

Instead of packing your underwear and socks bring along disposable ones. Yes, they make disposable underwear that is reasonably comfortable. After a long day of sight seeing just toss in the trash! Same thing with socks. Just purchase an ultra cheap set and be done with them. This does two things: Lightens the load in your suitcase so you can have more room for souvenirs. It also prevents your suitcase from smelling like feces and sweaty socks. You can also use well worn boxers and socks you already own that you wouldn't mind parting ways with.
Wow....so many thoughts...and questions. So do you use them like regular underwear or are they actually depends?

They really don't look that comfy but maybe big billowy man underwear with a tight elastic waist works for you...and such a bright color - sure wouldn't work for most women's clothes.

And...why does your underwear smell like feces? Isn't that the purpose of toilet paper? And if you're in Europe on that translatlantic vacation, you may even have a bidet at your disposal.

My suitcases don't smell that bad because I put dirty laundry in big ziploc bags and can then easily dump them in the laundry as soon as I get home.

I tend not to buy a lot of souvenirs so space isn't an issue - just one or two really memorable items in addition to all my pics is plenty.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:10 PM

505 posts, read 527,399 times
Yeah, I do the "old socks, old underwear" technique and have for years. My sister joked that I was leaving underwear all over Europe, but now she does it too!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 PM

3,883 posts, read 1,649,879 times
I bring old clothes when travelling, and toss when done.
A friend recommends using panty liners to extend underwear time...I like fresh better.
I used disposable panties in the hospital after surgery. They were a loose cottony knit, much more comfy than the boxers in the first post.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:09 AM

337 posts, read 176,649 times
These tips seem like common knowledge to me. The disposable underwear and socks seems unnecessary as they don't take up much room.

It's past 2AM here and I cannot sleep. Off hand I only have 1. When your hotel has no fridge and you have more than a couple drinks (like snacks and stuff) I load up on ice from the ice machine and fill up part (not all lol) of the tub or gallon size zip log bags to keep things cold.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:13 AM

4,478 posts, read 3,315,783 times
Gives a new meaning to "briefs."

Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,910,211 times
Disposable undies? No way! I bring, at most, 4 underwear when I travel depending on the travel duration. They're lightweight, doesn't take up much space, and I wash it when I shower then hang to dry overnight. Ditto with bras. How hard is that to do? I think some of you maybe packing too much to begin with.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,548,773 times
I also bring older undies and ditch them if I need the space.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:54 AM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Undies or socks don't take much space.
Yeah, this

Winter travel with heavy clothing, socks & underwear consume maybe 1% of the space. Why would I bother with tossing them in the trash?

I used to travel with a shaving bag. It accumulated "stuff" over the years and was packed to the gills with unnecessary things. I got rid of it and go ultra-compact to create more space in my roll-aboard.

I practice bedbug avoidance. My roll-aboard never touches the hotel room floor. It only ever sees the luggage rack. When I remove clothing, it goes in a plastic bag on the top closet shelf. Same with shoes. Any hotel can have them. I'm just trying to avoid picking up hitchhikers and getting them into my house.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:50 AM

166 posts, read 85,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
When you travel with a companion mix your clothes when packing. That way if one bag is lost you will both have something clean to wear until your luggage catches up. Especially important on ski or resort trips.
"How do I know? I just do"
"Ask me how I know."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel