U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:52 AM

166 posts, read 85,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, this

Winter travel with heavy clothing, socks & underwear consume maybe 1% of the space. Why would I bother with tossing them in the trash?

I used to travel with a shaving bag. It accumulated "stuff" over the years and was packed to the gills with unnecessary things. I got rid of it and go ultra-compact to create more space in my roll-aboard.

I practice bedbug avoidance. My roll-aboard never touches the hotel room floor. It only ever sees the luggage rack. When I remove clothing, it goes in a plastic bag on the top closet shelf. Same with shoes. Any hotel can have them. I'm just trying to avoid picking up hitchhikers and getting them into my house.
Bedbugs don't like tile. The safer place for your stuff is in the bathroom.
The threat of bedbugs has taken all the fun out of travel for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 AM

166 posts, read 85,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post

Yes I use them like regular underwear. They're not the most comfortable things in the world but a few minutes after you put them on you don't even realize they're there until you use the bathroom. And the reason my boxers smell like feces is because of the skid marks. See, I, like most people have occasional problems properly wiping my ass. This results in small smears on the inside of your underwear (skid marks). No matter how careful you are, on a hot day your butt can literally "sweat" and butt juice will eventually end up in your underwear. It happens to the best of us.

TMI, my friend. TMI.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:34 PM

6,001 posts, read 2,921,912 times
If traveling long time bring a heavy duty plastic bag (like an aloksak) and one of those little laundry soap bars.

Use the bag as your airtight dirty laundry bag, and when you need to do laundry it can be filled with water and used to wash clothes. Most hotel rooms in Asia have kettles, use that for making warm water for laundry. To dry hang things creatively all over the bathroom, if traveling for really long time can also bring a travel laundry line with clips on the end and a sink stopper

Here's the whole setup we carry for both of us. The small blue bag contains laundry soap, line, and a sink stopper. The aloksak bag has dirty clothes in it but can double as a washing container.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:53 PM

70 posts, read 38,719 times
Default hahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Try a catheter to avoid the need for pee breaks altogether.
So funny!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:00 PM

335 posts, read 297,982 times
If staying in a condo, bring your favorite spices, which saves a lot of money from buying new spices and makes it easy to make tasty grilled meats and veggies without spending a ton. We also bring a few tide laundry pods to do laundry instead of buying something where we are and we always bring ziplock bags with us. So many uses.

If traveling on a budget to a place with breakfast not included, bring a few packets of oatmeal. You can use the inhouse coffee maker to heat the water and even the sugar packets if you want it sweeter.

If traveling somewhere we plan to buy stuff, we bring a small duffel bag in our suitcase that we can fill with stuff on the way home. Make sure it's carry on size so you have more options and don't have to check.

Bring an empty water bottle and fill it up once through security - this might be common sense, but thought I would post anyway.

If you want a cooler at your location, get a big freezer bag (we got ours at Sams) that is carry on size. We fill it with clothes during the flight and then use it for food storage at the location. We did this on a Glacier/Yellowstone trip where we had to fly out there, but wanted to have food in our cabins each stop. Worked like a charm. We also used this in Alaska and carried food from location to location.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:45 PM

13,908 posts, read 25,378,245 times
I do the bring old clothes, wear once, and throw away thing too. Luggage allowances are so low these days this makes more sense than ever. A friend from Alaska taught me that trick because she wanted all the space in her suitcase to bring things home that are very expensive there.

I always bring along a trial size of Dawn too. You can wash out anything with Dawn and it cleans really well.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:02 PM

9,084 posts, read 9,539,259 times
I had friends that did an 6 month vacation from their home in England which took them around the world. They did it with a large backpack and smaller bag each. They also threw clothes away as they went. They started in October and spent Nov-December in Australia and New Zealand, which is summer there. They came and traveled across the mainland US in Jan-March, which is winter (and not the best time to visit, IMO but that's how timing played out). One of their last warm weather places was Hawaii, so they dumped a lot of warm weather clothes in the trash there, and bought winter coats in Las Vegas before heading to Utah. It was smart and allowed them to travel much lighter. Most souvenirs were shipped to her parent's address in England.

That was a great trip for them. England to Hong Kong, then Australia for several weeks, New Zealand for several weeks (they traveled around and slept in a camper van for that part), Indonesia, Hawaii, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City to catch the Amtrak train across the US stopping in the Midwest for a 4 day visit with me, then on to Chicago, Boston, and finally NYC, flying home from there.

When we went to Sydney last month (winter) I wore dresses and tights with knee high boots. By the second day of walking, my feet were KILLING me. The boots were done. So, I left them behind with a note for housekeeping to throw them away. No sense in lugging them back home. it felt odd to leave something like that behind, to be honest, but it made the most sense.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:00 PM

762 posts, read 812,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
Yeah, I do the "old socks, old underwear" technique and have for years. My sister joked that I was leaving underwear all over Europe, but now she does it too!
Ha! Be careful though as I have heard stories about hotels mailing the "forgotten" undergarments people leave behind.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:08 PM

39,940 posts, read 3,034,930 times
Pack 3 good pair & wash one every night, they will dry really quickly if near a heater.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 AM

38,157 posts, read 55,979,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Pack 3 good pair & wash one every night, they will dry really quickly if near a heater.
Most people don't wash or don't know how to wash anything per hand....
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 08-16-2017 at 01:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel