U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:41 PM

815 posts, read 462,270 times

Advertisements

We're all aware that it's useful to learn some basic phrases when traveling abroad and that no alcohol helps thwart jetlag on a transatlantic flight. What about the travel tips that are a little outside of the box? Here's one I picked up that some of you might find ultra weird:

Instead of packing your underwear and socks bring along disposable ones. Yes, they make disposable underwear that is reasonably comfortable. After a long day of sight seeing just toss in the trash! Same thing with socks. Just purchase an ultra cheap set and be done with them. This does two things: Lightens the load in your suitcase so you can have more room for souvenirs. It also prevents your suitcase from smelling like feces and sweaty socks. You can also use well worn boxers and socks you already own that you wouldn't mind parting ways with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:05 PM

28,501 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Try a catheter to avoid the need for pee breaks altogether.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:07 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,487,596 times
Ummm... no to that. I always use a plastic bag I pick up while shopping somewhere and put the used ones in there for the trip home.. Just dump it right in the washer.

I do tend to bring small bottles of toiletries, a deodorant that is almost finished, etc and tend to ditch it at the end of travel.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM

691 posts, read 254,711 times
That is First world! lol

Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,895,364 times
No need to do laundry, just pitch it out.
"Boxers or Briefs? Depends."

Old 08-14-2017, 03:11 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,895,364 times
When you travel with a companion mix your clothes when packing. That way if one bag is lost you will both have something clean to wear until your luggage catches up. Especially important on ski or resort trips.
"How do I know? I just do"

Old 08-14-2017, 03:15 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,487,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
When you travel with a companion mix your clothes when packing. That way if one bag is lost you will both have something clean to wear until your luggage catches up. Especially important on ski or resort trips.
We do the same everytime.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:30 PM

815 posts, read 462,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That's brilliant. I'm doing this next time.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:32 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
I suppose all underwear is technically disposable...

That seems like a ridiculous attack on the environment for no reason.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 PM

38,002 posts, read 55,785,174 times
Put a note on the top of your bag (inside) with your destination address, and contact info - like your phone, or email. If your luggage get lost or displaced, they will know where to ship it.
Happened to me, and it helped.
Also take a picture of your luggage. If it get lost - there is no better description than a picture.

Never put anything valuable in a check in luggage. Take them with you in carry on.
Take picture of your DL/passport (the data page with your picture)/credit cards.

Disposable undies/socks? That's silly...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel