Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:38 PM

696 posts, read 901,765 times

Advertisements

I would like to fly to another city in the US, but have not been on a plane since I was 3. I am have joint problems and it hurts alot for me to stand for more than a minute or 2. I am wondering how long you have to stand or wait in line before they let you on the plane? I don't want to use one of the airport wheelchairs because I am a younger guy and I feel it is demeaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:40 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,146,000 times
You'll do a lot of walking but I don't see where you would have to stand so much.. Maybe during check in and security. Those would be the bugaboos for you.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 PM

16,388 posts, read 12,401,039 times
It varies greatly. At some airports, you can breeze right through security. At other airports, you can stand in line for 20 minutes or more. And during the actual boarding process, you can remain seated until your boarding group is called, but it may be difficult to navigate through the mass of bodies that congregate at the gate waiting their turn.

As someone else mentioned, there will be a lot of walking.

You'll probably have to decide whether your desire to travel is greater than your concern that using a wheelchair is somehow demeaning.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:49 PM

13,030 posts, read 7,426,952 times
Get one of those wheelchairs. Helps if you can be a handicap card.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:16 PM

696 posts, read 901,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It varies greatly. At some airports, you can breeze right through security. At other airports, you can stand in line for 20 minutes or more. And during the actual boarding process, you can remain seated until your boarding group is called, but it may be difficult to navigate through the mass of bodies that congregate at the gate waiting their turn.

As someone else mentioned, there will be a lot of walking.

You'll probably have to decide whether your desire to travel is greater than your concern that using a wheelchair is somehow demeaning.
Is there an option to sit down and let the other people at the TSA line go first, then go yourself last?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:19 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,054,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Is there an option to sit down and let the other people at the TSA line go first, then go yourself last?

no, because the line will never end. More and more people will arrive. If you go "last", you will miss your flight.

A wheelchair is NOT demeaning; it is a tool that enables those with difficulties to better function. It sounds like you need one. Use it.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,777,528 times
Your choice is standing in long lines and walking some distance to a gate or submitting to something you have decided is "demeaning."

Most airports have a guest or handicapped services office. When I broke my ankle and had one of those big ankle casts, I was very grateful for the help. It's not faster than standing in line, but it is a lot less painful.

My own airport is so small it wasn't necessary, but coming home out of Denver we were at gate 92, is which a shuttle ride and a long, LONG walk on crutches. The wait at the Service office for a wheelchair was almost an hour, but they do take you to the head of the TSA line, and that really minimizes the "standing around" part, which, for me, was more painful than walking. After TSA, they take you to your terminal and then you ride in one of the little electric carts to your gate - sort of, my gate was at the end of a tacked-on hallway downstairs, but at least they took me directly to the elevator and then it was only 5 gates or so from there.

The biggest favor you can do for yourself is to learn the rules - what you can pack in checked luggage, what you can carry in a carry-on, the size the carry-on can be, how you have to lay out certain items, like liquids and gels. There is no arguing with TSA, either, it will only cause you trouble and delay you getting to your gate. When you are measuring luggage to see if it passes your airline's requirements, includes the wheels and the handles - for whatever stupid reason, a lot of luggage mfrs give the dimension of the basic luggage "box" and not the full actual dimensions.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:37 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,820,464 times
Quote:
I would like to fly to another city in the US, but have not been on a plane since I was 3. I am have joint problems and it hurts alot for me to stand for more than a minute or 2. I am wondering how long you have to stand or wait in line before they let you on the plane? I don't want to use one of the airport wheelchairs because I am a younger guy and I feel it is demeaning.
Yeah your biggest wait will probably be going through security, possibly checking in at the counter before security as well. Planes usually load up in zones depending on where you sit so as long as you aren't part of the "gate lice" crowd standing around the gate for who knows what reason then just sit until your row section is called. There will be a slight line even then to board the plane, not long but it might exceed a few minutes, if you have difficulty standing for even a minute or two then you might want the wheel chair.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Nope. You get in line and wait until you're at the front. People are constantly getting into line. If you wait, you'll never get through.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Most airports have a guest or handicapped services office. When I broke my ankle and had one of those big ankle casts, I was very grateful for the help. It's not faster than standing in line, but it is a lot less painful.

My own airport is so small it wasn't necessary, but coming home out of Denver we were at gate 92, is which a shuttle ride and a long, LONG walk on crutches. The wait at the Service office for a wheelchair was almost an hour, but they do take you to the head of the TSA line, and that really minimizes the "standing around" part, which, for me, was more painful than walking. After TSA, they take you to your terminal and then you ride in one of the little electric carts to your gate - sort of, my gate was at the end of a tacked-on hallway downstairs, but at least they took me directly to the elevator and then it was only 5 gates or so from there.
If you call ahead to your airline and reserve a wheelchair, there's very little wait. I reserved a wheelchair for my mother, and when we arrived at the ticket counter to check our bags, I let them know that we had reserved a wheelchair. They pointed us to some nearby seats, and within 5 minutes, someone had arrived.

It's also a good idea for connecting flights and arrival airports. If your airline knows in advance of the request, there will be someone waiting on the jetbridge with a wheelchair and a sign with your name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel