Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:07 PM

70 posts, read 75,896 times

Advertisements

How about three seniors -- married couple and mother, trying to move to MB from PA to get out of having 5 months per year of uncomfortable cold and snow/ice and get to an area that's not depressing like I find the north to be? We hope to leave here before we're stuck here (still!) another winter, but we don't know anyone there who can give us any real help. I've searched for good hotels which we will need for a month or so while looking for a long term rental but all the hotels have at least a few horrific reviews. I don't know how to choose the least of the evils from the info I have. My 85 year old mother, although young and healthy for her age is terrified to move when we really don't know if we will have a livable situation in the hotel. I know this sounds like we're desperate to get out of PA and ...yep...we are. We have to wait just long enough to finish our home remodeling before putting our house on the market. Contractors and realtors who have seen our house told us that once we put it on the market, be ready to leave. That sounds great but we still have no idea which hotel. Looked as far away as Wilmington, NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 02:26 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
I don't quite know what you are asking, but the simple and less "terrifying" solution would be to have someone come to MB (is that Myrtle Beach???) and rent an apartment before you arrive.

I hope you have jobs lined up????

Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't quite know what you are asking, but the simple and less "terrifying" solution would be to have someone come to MB (is that Myrtle Beach???) and rent an apartment before you arrive.

I hope you have jobs lined up????
This.

Don't move anywhere until you have a job and housing lined up there.

OP, I'm not sure why you posted in the general Travel sub-forum. I think you might get more help if you post in whatever forum "MB" is closest to.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:26 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToWarmth View Post
How about three seniors -- married couple and mother, trying to move to MB from PA to get out of having 5 months per year of uncomfortable cold and snow/ice and get to an area that's not depressing like I find the north to be? We hope to leave here before we're stuck here (still!) another winter, but we don't know anyone there who can give us any real help. I've searched for good hotels which we will need for a month or so while looking for a long term rental but all the hotels have at least a few horrific reviews. I don't know how to choose the least of the evils from the info I have. My 85 year old mother, although young and healthy for her age is terrified to move when we really don't know if we will have a livable situation in the hotel. I know this sounds like we're desperate to get out of PA and ...yep...we are. We have to wait just long enough to finish our home remodeling before putting our house on the market. Contractors and realtors who have seen our house told us that once we put it on the market, be ready to leave. That sounds great but we still have no idea which hotel. Looked as far away as Wilmington, NC.
First as WSM said don't move unless you have a job lined up or have enough income to cover 6 months of rent and income. Even then that is cutting it close. If it were me I would finish the house first. Once the remodeling is done then one trusted adult go to MB or that area, scout it out, find employment and then locate a suitable apartment. Do not sell the house unless you have a sure place to live in. 85 years old and being homeless even in MB is difficult. You can look into places like HomeAway dot com for long term rentals. These are furnished places that can be rented for differing lengths of times. Just do not be too quick to take the first offer on your home.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM

810 posts, read 667,297 times
can a mod move this to the SC forum?

Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
I used to live near MB, I would highly advise that if you need work to not move until you have something lined up.

You could do better renting an AirBNB type place instead of a hotel in that are if finances are a concern. You could look in the countryside between Florence and MB and probably find a very reasonable rental property. Weather is warm and humid in that are, similar to the beach.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
can a mod move this to the SC forum?
The OP posted it there, too. The only response is me, offering the same advice I d8d here.

In anyour event, OP hasn't returned to CD since they posted here and on the SC board. My guess is 85 year old mom said no freaking way was she going along for the ride for this unplanned, doomed to failure escapade.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:36 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Bing!

Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
You will NOT want to "live" in a hotel for even a month. Go down on a week's stay...there are PLENTY of "long term" rentals of condos and such...that would be better for more than a week's stay.

If you've never been to Myrtle, then you need to check it out. So many northerners move there, and in 5 years, they're going home again....

Old 08-22-2017, 05:08 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You will NOT want to "live" in a hotel for even a month. Go down on a week's stay...there are PLENTY of "long term" rentals of condos and such...that would be better for more than a week's stay.

If you've never been to Myrtle, then you need to check it out. So many northerners move there, and in 5 years, they're going home again....
Myrtle Beach does tend to be a very transient place to live. We own a condo there that generates rental income and gives us a nice place to go for vacations, but I would never live there year round. Too many people, very few natives...to give you an idea, I just looked on Realtor.com and there are currently just over 2,200 single family homes for sale there and they have a permanent population of about 29,000 people. When I checked a nice city near us here in Michigan that has about 30,000 people there were 260 single family homes for sale. That's some crazy math, and I purposely excluded other property types like condos in my search to somewhat level the playing field since Myrtle Beach is filled with vacation condos that the other city lacks. Add other property types and MB has over 5,000 properties for sale right now.

I think a lot of people go on vacation there, forget that day to day life isn't a vacation, and make a rash decision to move there without thinking it through and then regret it, same as with so many popular vacation destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel