U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:15 PM

37,112 posts, read 45,631,484 times

Advertisements

We have taken a lot of Caribbean vacations, cruises and a few to Disney with our youngest son, but the very best was the one dh and I took with our art museum. It was a like minded group with an art glass focus. We went to Seattle and visited many galleries, including Chihuli and William Morris and also had plenty of good food and great company.

Bottom line...it's more fun with others who share your interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 06:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,914,352 times
I've traveled over a good part of the world but there is nothing I enjoy more than our National Parks. I've spent a lot of time at Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mt. Rainier, Zion, RMNP, Acadia, Denali, Smokey Mountains National Park. All unique and great places!

Old 08-19-2017, 07:01 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,638,569 times
African safari's -

10 different camps, 5 different countries. Out on safari's 40+ times.

Planning another trip next year - 4 different countries.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:34 PM

3,892 posts, read 1,653,380 times
2 month driving tour of the USA. Starting near San Francisco, we visited (among other places) Carlsbad Caverns, various Texas towns I recognized from country songs including Galveston (husband's a weather nut, he loved the Hurricane movie they show downtown), along the gulf coast, Orlando (made the mistake of doing Epcot Center instead of Dizzyland), North through the Carolinas, the Outer Banks, a wedding in New York, then west on I-80, Yellowstone (we were going to camp, but the sleet was daunting. Fortunately, it scared off people with reservations, so we got to stay at the Old Faithful Lodge and on the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone). Seattle was the last stop, for a conference.

We made the trip in a small pickup truck with camper shell; stayed at friends and relatives houses about 1/3 of the time, in hotels 1/3, and camped 1/3.

So happy to get home!

Old 08-20-2017, 12:49 AM

3,295 posts, read 1,563,537 times
2 actually.

20 day road trip in Florida, put 2500 miles on the rental car, visiting most beach communities , without any room reservations. from what I hear, this is a typical Canadian vacation.

I also visited aruba, on rewards points and a very low hotel rate. the under $1000 Aruba vacation never felt so good ! sunset parties daily, and a humongous moon sitting over the water.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:01 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
One of the best ones was my trip to the Galapagos Islands!

Old 08-20-2017, 06:15 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
The South Island of New Zealand.

There are tons of stuff to do near Queenstown: https://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/

The South Island is like Colorado with beaches.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:16 AM

231 posts, read 170,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One of the best ones was my trip to the Galapagos Islands!

I was thinking of doing this one but wondered if after 10 days or so,I would want some other form of entertainment to compliment it and add diversity.

African Safari sounds great to.

Also a part of me thinks all the visitors, is a negative to the environment of the galapagos?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:20 AM

121 posts, read 102,656 times
I'm in Northern Virginia. My 11th grade English teacher was part of the Freedom Writers teacher association. He was willing to pay for some of each student to travel to Long Beach, California to meet Erin Gruwell and some of the Freedom Writers (There was a big movie - it was great - made about it). Well, myself and 3 other students were the only four that kept attending the after school meetings about it. Our teacher paid for our hotel rooms and air trip to Long Beach, California for a WEEK.

We met the Freedom Writers, went through Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and almost went to a Lakers game and a Dancing With The Stars show, but 1) Lakers game - the HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES DIDNT WANT TO GO... what the hell? I did and I'm not even an athlete!!... 2) we didn't get contacted about tickets for DWTS in time... We got free tickets to Disney Land, got to attend a half day at Wilson Classical High School (where one of the Chipmunks movies was filmed... and the school the Freedom Writers movie is based on) (not actually working, just attending a pep rally and having fun)... Got to meet an author of several books, and I made a ton of friends while out there!

The weather was beautiful, the people were wonderful, the food was amazing... Just an amazing experience overall!

Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 AM

10,290 posts, read 4,868,671 times
Going to NYC to see LaBoheme at the Met. It was on my bucket list for years after seeing the movie Moonstruck and my sister & her husband treated me. My BIL worked part time in NYC and had a studio apartment there so it didn't cost me anything. I was so moved by the performance I was crying through the whole thing. My sister kept looking at me like I was crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or