U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,641 posts, read 40,010,157 times

Advertisements

Float trip through the Tetons is most memorable (So Far)
Wildlife and sights were excellent. (silently sneaking up on wildlife)

NZ South Island is a good place to spend Dec - Jan
Fly Air NZ out of LA and get a free stop-over in Cook Island for a week or so.

The Netherlands and Switzerland are very high on the 'most pleasurable' list in Western Europe. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 10:24 PM

230 posts, read 144,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
Destin Beach, Florida. That was a long time ago, before the big BP oil spill that fouled the waters and coastlines of so many (formerly) pristine beaches.
I live in Pensacola and go to Destin occasionally. There's no oil at all anywhere on these beaches now or for the past few years.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:26 PM

16,424 posts, read 5,361,981 times
Scuba diving off Maui was magical.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:50 AM

1,802 posts, read 910,794 times
Ascent of Kilimanjaro... Tanzania
Sunrise at 5500m is ... an experience

Old 08-21-2017, 03:40 AM

1,659 posts, read 823,273 times
7 days in Turks & Caicos 2014. Breathtaking blue water and the locals were really nice and accommodating.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 AM

2,439 posts, read 1,675,248 times
Two stand out.

A seven day cruise with a captain and his wife/chef on a 50 foot sailboat, seven people in total, from Union Island to St. Vincents. We sailed and stopped at all the islands, snorkeling off our moored boat, laying on the deck at night looking at the Southern Cross, went to the Mustique Jazz festival, took a Zodiac to get to a bar/restaurant on a beach only accessible by boat. I had only sailed using a tiller, so sailing with a wheel was fun to learn. We loved every minute, even the sound of roosters crowing each morning coming across the water.

We flew into to St. Vincent's and caught a flight to Union island on a six passenger plane to meet the sailboat at dock. We went to the airline counter to check in and they tossed our bags through a hole in the wall behind them onto the runway tarmac. We made an unscheduled stop to pick someone up in Bequia on the way. There were no chickens on board but one person had a bag of groceries with eggs.

The other trip was three weeks in Singapore, Bintan and Bali. We stayed in an apartment in Singapore, a resort in Bintan and one of three villas an English ex-pat owned in Bali at the end of a road that the locals took to play soccer on a black sand beach with bamboo poles for goals. Dwali celebrations were going on in Singapore and the food courts were incredible as were all the sights and sounds. We did and saw everything. It took five days to acclimate from the time change and weather when we came back to NY in November, but it was worth it.

Both vacations were unique and memorable.

We are due for another great one.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-21-2017 at 04:54 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 05:35 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
I was thinking of doing this one but wondered if after 10 days or so,I would want some other form of entertainment to compliment it and add diversity.

African Safari sounds great to.

Also a part of me thinks all the visitors, is a negative to the environment of the galapagos?
The Ecuadorian Government limits the number of tourist boats per year due to an environmental quota.

As for diversity, one could combine the Galapagos with sightseeing in another parts of Ecuador such as the high sierra mountain towns of Quito (the capital with its historical architecture and its proximity to the Equator line) & Cuenca (3rd largest city in the country with its cobblestoned streets and nearby hot springs) and/or the Ecuadorian jungle/rainforest area. Even Guayaquil, the largest city in Ecuador has much improved with its river promenade and historical district which is an artistic quarter.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:20 AM

766 posts, read 695,972 times
I know this is going to sound weird compared to so many other exotic trips taken by the other posters here, but the best vacation I'd ever had was the road trip my DH and I took from California to Arkansas in mid-autumn. It was before we had kids and less than a year after we had gotten married, so we were still in the newlywed phase <3. We had the best time and made us love road trips even more afterward.

Going on another one for our anniversary this year, too!

Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,001,104 times
I have a lot too, but here are a few.....

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
Maui
Royal Caribbean Cruise

Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 PM

13,274 posts, read 6,356,923 times
My kids had grew memory of our stay at a nice place with view of the whole St John, US Virgin Islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or