U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,649 posts, read 40,020,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
My next trip is going to be Wyoming, I really haven't been west of the Mississippi much so I'm really looking forward to this.
Don't miss it...

Float trip through the Tetons is most memorable (So Far)
Wildlife and sights were excellent. (silently sneaking up on wildlife)

Beartooth Highway

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/re...owyRangeByway/

https://www.travelwyoming.com/cities/thermopolis

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...6-Wyoming.html
Both routes, 14 and 14A are great. If you go 14, it's worth a quick side trip up to the top of the pass on 14A; it's really that spectacular.
14A without a doubt. they don't call it the "Oh my God" Highway for nothing.

Road to Yellowstone
https://www.google.com/search?q=veda...3OBVgQ_AUICygC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 04:55 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,505,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
My next trip is going to be Wyoming, I really haven't been west of the Mississippi much so I'm really looking forward to this.
You have missed dozens and dozens of spectacular places.

One of my all time favorites was a Harley ride through Yellowstone and the Tetons. Then across Wyoming (Daniel WY is special) and western CO.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 2,278 times
Tanzania vacation was a favourite vacation of my life. Those who are adventure lover and nature lover they will surely love to visit African safari which will satisfy anyone’s who have a sense of adventure. Safaris have always been amazing and to feel a quiet park that resides in the north of Tanzania in East Africa you must come to the National Park of Tarangire. It looks lovely and is quite renowned for its authentic atmosphere, birding and migration of the elephants. Recently I had visited there with trip advisor https://www.tripadvisor.in/Attractio...ro_Region.html

Old 01-05-2018, 09:46 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,041,098 times
Hiking in Denali, past the end of the road. Spectacularly beautiful!
Beartooth highway. Amazing scenery.
Traveling around Alaska on the Alaska Railroad. So much fun!
Saő Miguel, Faial and Pico in the Azores. So diverse and varied, from emerald green calderas to stark basalt and lava-rocked seashores to almost lunar landscapes.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:08 PM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
I've taken only a few "vacations" in my life, usually having to quit my job in order to travel, and that would be open ended.

But in 1970, I had a three week vacation in Canada (where workers get vacations), and decided to go overland to Timbuctoo. RT ticket to Canary Islands. Visa there for Mauritania. Flight to Nouakchott, then truck to Dakar. Side trip there to Gambia while waiting for visas to Burkina Faso and Malii. Horrendous 45-hour train rise on wooden bench seats Dakar to Bamako. Hitchhike to Boio Dioulassl. Adother truck to Mopti, Mali. Got up the next morning to take river boat down to Timbuctoo, but was told that during the night, a cholera quarantine had been imposed on Mopti, and the boat would not stop to board passengers. Spent three absolutely lovely days in amazing Mopti finally talking officials into letting me out through the quarantine point, since I had a vaccination card. By truck back to Bamako (too late now for Timbuctoo), and repeat train ride, other direction. In Bamako, rebooked my ticket to fly direct from Dakar to Canaries, bypassing the return through Mauritania. I got home in time to go to work Monday morning.

Of course, in those days, there was no internet, not even Lonely Planet. The closest thing to a guide book of Africa was the Michelin map. Everything by word of mouth. Plan your flights by begging last month's OAG off a friendly travel agent. But today, nearly the whole trip would be next to impossible. No more flights from Canaries to Africa. Borders highly problematic. Mali in civil war. Incredibly, last year on a train in Thailand, I met a German who had made a similar trip at about the same time.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-05-2018 at 10:25 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 AM

272 posts, read 115,880 times
Being told Maimi isn't a walkable city. I spent 7 days walking the county. 30 miles a day, for 7 days. I burned over 2000 calories a day and maybe took in like 1300 a day. Drank plenty of water, barely slept, and used my phone literally 4 times that week. Amazing experience to me. Tell me I can't do something I try and find ways to do such thing!

Old 01-07-2018, 02:48 PM

7,437 posts, read 12,962,283 times
This may sound crazy but one of our best vacations was a weekend spent camping about 30 miles from home. We set up our tent at Hillman Ferry Campground in the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western Kentucky www.landbetweenthelakes.us

Our campsite was about 15 feet from the edge of Kentucky Lake, the largest man made lake (by acreage) east of the Mississippi River. We had a nice shady spot for our lawn chairs and we were happy.

If you like hiking and biking, the Land Between the Lakes is 170,000 acres of land with no businesses or homes. Just hiking, biking, camping, fishing and other outdoor activities

Old 01-07-2018, 05:17 PM

960 posts, read 1,943,031 times
My DH and I took a 3 1/2 week vacation out west. We went as far north as Yellowstone and south to the Grand Canyon. We saw a lot, but we missed a lot too. I'd love to do it again!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:06 AM

597 posts, read 353,832 times
South Africa and Zimbabwe in 1998, before the situation in Zim got so bad.

Turkey, including Anzac Day at Gallipoli.

Italy, Veneto region, Sardinia and Sicily.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,050,206 times
Galapagos by far was my favorite trip. Four different islands plus a little time on the Ecuadorian mainland. The wildlife on the islands is unforgettable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or