U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:05 AM

231 posts, read 170,715 times

Advertisements

trying to pick up clues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:23 AM

337 posts, read 176,582 times
As a kid, Disneyworld and Epcot and a Caribbean Cruise. That was one of the few vacations that my family took when I was a kid.

As an adult- a few 5-7 night trips to Hawaii, a 1 week trip to London and Paris (it was my 2nd time to both...booked this to see the things I didn't get to see years earlier), a 10 night follow up trip to Italy. All of these trips were done solo. Oh and 1 more lol. a 2 night trip to NYC. It was technically 4 nights. My mom sent me to NYC to be with my grandmother to take her to doctor appointments and stuff like that so it was "business" and not pleasure. The nights were mine!!!! I spent my evenings taking some of those "free tours" where you just leave tips along with a 1 night paid "speakeasy tour" (tour was overpriced and not worth doing again). I also would treat myself to a yummy NY dinner when I was out. I later spent 2 nights in NYC in hotels (my grandma thought I left NYC when I left her). I ended up spending 1 night in an expensive NYC hotel ("free" night using a credit card anniversary night) and then 1 night in Jersey City overlooking the Hudson and Statue of Liberty using another free anniversary night with a credit card. I booked as much as I could do in 2 nights and had a great time. I know a lot of people would never keep moving back and forth with hotels, but I actually like doing that lol. Makes me feel like my trip is longer and you get a taste of different neighborhoods. I realized I loved Jersey City and would probably stay there again.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:31 AM

6,444 posts, read 3,453,370 times
I have many:
  • 2 trips to Oahu, HI to visit my daughter while she was stationed there (Army). 3 weeks each time.
  • 3 trips to St Maarten, 1 week each time. Stayed on the Dutch side.
  • 2 Caribbean Cruises on Princess Cruise lines.
  • Just took a 6-day 2,000 mile road trip with my daughter taking her to Austin TX from Boston MA. Went to Cedar Point roller coaster park, Nashville, and Dallas along the way.
  • Many camping trips over the years.
  • As a teenager, 3 cross country camping/boating trips with my parents, 5 weeks each time.
  • Many trips to Palm Beach FL as a kid to visit my grandparents, and we went to the first year Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 which was cool. The Hall of Presidents was under construction and many of the presidents were in front of the building wrapped/delivered to be installed. Space Mountain was also not completed/opened.

There are more.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:41 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,401,499 times
1) Always love Paris. so much to see and do.
2) we are huge Disneyworld fans so some of our best family vacations happened there.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:15 PM

22,667 posts, read 28,685,250 times
I love Yellowstone and Yosemite and I did a tour all around Scotland looking at castles, some ruined and some in perfect condition and beautifully furnished.

We camped around Western Europe which was wonderful.

A week in Hawaii was a lot of fun. There is a ton of stuff to do around Honolulu.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:19 PM

231 posts, read 170,715 times
Perhaps I should have listed where I have been
France
Switzerland
UK
USA
Bermuda
Austria
South America.
Ireland

btw/I love diversity and nature

Old 08-19-2017, 04:26 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,426,389 times
I could never pick one! A week relaxing on Martha's Vineyard is a lot different than a month trekking around Vietnam but I loved both vacations. I love the South of France as much as I love a fun roadtrip I took around the Deep South. Etc, etc.

I will say that the least memorable for me--even if enjoyable at the time--are the warm weather long weekend getaways I've taken to Mexico/the Carribean in the dead of winter.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:03 PM

1,984 posts, read 2,633,656 times
Best vacation I ever had was a week on a luxury barge on a canal in Burgundy, France. There were 7 passengers (the barge had accommodations for 8, but one woman was traveling alone), and 4 crew: the boat pilot, the chef, one young woman who did the housekeeping and also served the meals, and a young man who assisted the pilot and was also our tour guide.

The barge traveled very slowly along the canal, through beautiful countryside, and we went through something like 35 locks during the week's trip. There were bicycles on the boat for us to use if we wished. We would get off at a lock and either bike or stroll along the tow path, exploring the countryside and getting back on the boat at another lock farther downstream.

The food was gourmet-quality, and there was an open bar, plus a different white and red wine at each lunch and dinner, in unlimited quantities.

Each day the young man tour guide took us to a different destination, such as a winery, a walking tour of one of the cities on our route, a visit to a chateau etc. All of the crew members were British, but very fluent in French.

It was decidedly not cheap, but in those days my husband and I were both working and making money, and we loved traveling in France. We always said that was the best trip we ever took.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:05 PM

360 posts, read 248,395 times
I like Naples, Florida

Old 08-19-2017, 05:10 PM

90 posts, read 59,712 times
Destin Beach, Florida. That was a long time ago, before the big BP oil spill that fouled the waters and coastlines of so many (formerly) pristine beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or