U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 07:10 AM

218 posts, read 120,958 times

Advertisements

It's something we have discussed before, just needed to find the right time when we can both go. We'll be gone for a week and plan to visit quite a few places. Our current itinerary is seeing the Spooklight, Grand Canyon (she's never been), Roswell, Horseshoe Bend, Arizona, and Antelope Canyon, Arizona. Probably think up a few more. I have travelled quite a bit and enjoy it, but it's doubly fun when you have someone to share it with

Really looking forward to it, any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 01:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,207,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
It's something we have discussed before, just needed to find the right time when we can both go. We'll be gone for a week and plan to visit quite a few places. Our current itinerary is seeing the Spooklight, Grand Canyon (she's never been), Roswell, Horseshoe Bend, Arizona, and Antelope Canyon, Arizona. Probably think up a few more. I have travelled quite a bit and enjoy it, but it's doubly fun when you have someone to share it with

If you are going all the way to Roswell, I'd highly recommend going a bit further south to Carlsbad Caverns National Park, it's incredble. Sounds like a fun trip.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post

Why Roswell? I've lived in AZ for 7 years and took a trip out there once, just to see what it was all about. It's just a smallish city in the middle of nowhere on a semi-arid high desert plain with an alien museum in the old theater. It looks like most of your places are in northern Arizona?

With just going for a week, I would try and stay in one general area. Grand Canyon to Roswell is a haul. Like Iaskwhy mentioned, Carlsbad Caverns is amazing and one of my favorite National Parks, if you really are going to be in southeastern New Mexico. I truly love White Sands National Monument as well near Alamogordo.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:36 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,018,567 times
If you are going to Antelope Canyon you will be in Page. From there is is a short distance to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, which is not the same as the south rim. We were there once in the evening. We took bag supper to Imperial Point and watch the moon rise over the canyon while we ate.

If you do that, then Bryce Canyon is much closer than Roswell and very worth seeing. Zion NP is in that neighborhood also.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
If you do that, then Bryce Canyon is much closer than Roswell and very worth seeing. Zion NP is in that neighborhood also.
I think all of Southern Utah is amazing (my favorite place in the lower 48, that I've been to so far), all 5 National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef) and a few National Monuments (Cedar Breaks, Rainbow Bridge, Natural Bridges) are all worth a visit and you can also include Monument Valley which straddles the AZ/UT border. I can easily spend two weeks or more exploring/visiting all those places over and over and over.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:57 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Yeah why Roswell, that seems off the path? Well you can go to the incredibly cheesy "International UFO Museum and Research Center".

If it's northern NM you want then you should include Winslow Crater, Monument Valley, the cultural sites of Santa Fe, the beauty of the Santa Fe and Carson National Forest, there is a cool indian pueblo on top of a mesa west of Albequrque (can't remember the name), drive up north a bit to Mesa Verde National Park. If you do choose the southern route to Roswell you can cross over the beautiful mountains around Roidoso, they have several 'Billy the Kid" type historical towns and landmarks, and then go over to the amazing White Sands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or