U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 AM

17,399 posts, read 21,239,668 times

Advertisements

I can certainly understand why someone would be disappointed in seeing the mountains in Denver, as Denver sits at 5280 feet in altitude, which reduces the size of the mountains to 7-8-9,000 feet. Not very impressive. Colorado Springs is even worse, at 6,200 feet in altitude!

More impressive, is Mt. Rainier near Seattle. You're at almost sea level and awestruck by looking up at 14,500 feet! Almost guaranteed to take your breath away!

And even on the rare clear day in L.A. (good luck!) at near sea level, looking up at Mt. Baldy can be very impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Or San Diego or Los Angeles. Or reportedly Honolulu. Have been to the other three, and was surprised how many homeless are there. It's probably the pleasant climate.
The homeless have never been a turn off to me, unless they turn aggressive. And then, if that happens, I give them a lecture on how to be better beggars. Most effective beggars I encountered anywhere was in India, where they don't say anything, they bow their heads with folded hands, in near tears, and they're so effective you would feel guilty not giving them something. And that's why I try to instill in these beggars, that the in-your-face aggressiveness will work to their disadvantage.

More troubling is the cost to taxpayers: National average, it costs $42,500 to have one homeless person on our streets!

If these cities were truly conservative, they'd build housing for these people, take them off the streets.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
I thought Yosemite would be beautiful but it turns out to be a massive disappointment. It was not even worth the 4 hours drive. I basically see nothing particularly special there. The half dome is totally overrated. Not even sure why it is a famous destination somehow. I would say that's the most disappointing experience in the US.

Then Dali, China. So many beautiful stories but it turns out to be messy, filthy, chaotic and not even beautiful. You literally see trash everywhere.

Bangkok. I didn't go there for cheap hookers of course like some losers do, but thought at least the city should be exciting as it is always highly rated. No, boring, dirty, scams everywhere you go. The most famous grand palace is so disappointing.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:58 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I thought Yosemite would be beautiful but it turns out to be a massive disappointment. It was not even worth the 4 hours drive. I basically see nothing particularly special there. The half dome is totally overrated. Not even sure why it is a famous destination somehow. I would say that's the most disappointing experience in the US.
Interesting. When have you been there? (Which time of the year?)

I have been there during memorial weekend and have to say it was absolutely overcrowded and we had to queue and search for parking for hours. But I always thought how awesome that place is, and especially would be without those masses. But then, in times when the water falls are dry (after August) it seems to be less exciting. The setting of the park in the Yosemite valley is great, especially for hiking and overnight stays, but there are often just too many people around. I also loved Sequoia and Kings Canyon and they were much more quiet and relaxed.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:04 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Not that I'm any fan of the homeless, but not sure how much can be done about them legally. And I'm sure cities like LA, SF, SD, etc. are attractive to them because of the climate and other enticing factors.
Instead of letting them sleep on the streets, one should ban sleeping, littering, soiliciting, begging and defecation on public streets at least in downtowns and instead provide shelter somewhere outside where the general public is not bothered.

It would be good to avoid homelessness overall, as more than 80% are either drug addicts or mentally ill and need treatment. Closing public psychatries didn't really contribute to that. Fighting against possession of illegal drugs also needs to be increased.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:28 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,911,096 times
I thought Tokyo was overrated. The food was decent, but not out of this world like some claimed. Sure, it's clean, safe, everything runs like clockwork, but the reality of that is the predictable nature of the place. Then it becomes boring. I would put Tokyo together with Singapore under 'boring city' category in my book.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I thought Tokyo was overrated. The food was decent, but not out of this world like some claimed. Sure, it's clean, safe, everything runs like clockwork, but the reality of that is the predictable nature of the place. Then it becomes boring. I would put Tokyo together with Singapore under 'boring city' category in my book.
I, too, found Tokyo boring, particularly after having traveled from India. Yes, indeed, a city can be criticized for being too clean, sterile, orderly. I feel very uncomfortable in those kind of cities. Add San Diego to the list as well! And many other cities around the world!

After awhile, you find it a relief to find that someone flung an empty McDonald's sack on the ground somewhere, or you find an unkempt homeless person walking about.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:46 PM

1,256 posts, read 541,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I, too, found Tokyo boring, particularly after having traveled from India. Yes, indeed, a city can be criticized for being too clean, sterile, orderly. I feel very uncomfortable in those kind of cities. Add San Diego to the list as well! And many other cities around the world!

After awhile, you find it a relief to find that someone flung an empty McDonald's sack on the ground somewhere, or you find an unkempt homeless person walking about.

You would love Mississippi, then.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 08-29-2017 at 10:43 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 01:57 AM

1,794 posts, read 904,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Then Dali, China. So many beautiful stories but it turns out to be messy, filthy, chaotic and not even beautiful. You literally see trash everywhere.

Bangkok. I didn't go there for cheap hookers of course like some losers do, but thought at least the city should be exciting as it is always highly rated. No, boring, dirty, scams everywhere you go. The most famous grand palace is so disappointing.
Ow yeah. Good one, I agree! When you know mountains a little, definitely. I went to Gavarnie or Sixt-Fer-a-Cheval before Yosemite, Half dome seems very elegant but very "normal" by its size. When you saw the Alps before, Yosemite isn't impressive.

Yet I loved California And I want to come back!

Old 08-30-2017, 04:20 AM

1,794 posts, read 904,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can certainly understand why someone would be disappointed in seeing the mountains in Denver, as Denver sits at 5280 feet in altitude, which reduces the size of the mountains to 7-8-9,000 feet. Not very impressive. Colorado Springs is even worse, at 6,200 feet in altitude!

More impressive, is Mt. Rainier near Seattle. You're at almost sea level and awestruck by looking up at 14,500 feet! Almost guaranteed to take your breath away!

And even on the rare clear day in L.A. (good luck!) at near sea level, looking up at Mt. Baldy can be very impressive.
One that I'd like to see is the Denali from Anchorage when it's sunrise or sunset.
Ouch, your eyes must burn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or