U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:58 PM

1,853 posts, read 777,532 times

Advertisements

Let's hear expectations vs reality about your travelings.
As you may or may not know i am fan of mountains. So the first time i went to Colorado i was super excited, but then when i landed in Denver i didn't realize the mountains would be so far away. At times it felt the city was nowhere near the mountains. I did love the city and people i met there but i had the expectations that mountains would be much closer like in Salt Lake City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 03:30 AM

491 posts, read 111,646 times
That's kind of the same experience some people have with Calgary. They see the mountains in the background and believe the two are right next to each other.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,189,527 times
I was excited to go to Portland, OR because I always heared how nice the city is, clean and liberal, good food and beer scene. When we arrived everything was full of aggressive homeless beggars lying in the streets, everything was dirty and smelly. And I was like WTF?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:42 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,332,912 times
I found out that Statue of Liberty is smaller than expected.
Americans are more friendly than expected.
Customer service abroad is slower than expected.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 PM

2,136 posts, read 776,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I was excited to go to Portland, OR because I always heared how nice the city is, clean and liberal, good food and beer scene. When we arrived everything was full of aggressive homeless beggars lying in the streets, everything was dirty and smelly. And I was like WTF?
The more liberal a place, the more homeless.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:59 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,376,418 times
Rome and Munich deceived somewhat. Rome, not because of the monuments and the historical heritage, but it's dirtier than I would expect. Munich, because I had expectations that it had more historical and beautiful buildings like Vienna, but it's too modern to my taste; it has a lot of low-height buildings in steel and glass.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:06 PM

5,743 posts, read 9,359,497 times
Rummaging through memories of mine, Bratislava Slovakia is exceedingly delivering far beyond what I used to have in my own imagination prior to visiting. One of the best downtown squares in all of mainland Europe. Hidden secretive treasures foreigners are completely oblivious on. Nothing broken down or industrial. Year round nightlife friendly. Tons of soul or character. Endless rhythm outside. Such extremely close proximity to Vienna Austria only one hour away. Extreme variation that fast between Western Continent to Eastern Europe.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 PM

1,502 posts, read 568,042 times
The beaches of Seychelles have bigger waves than I expected. I thought they are lagoon-like just like Maldives or Tahiti.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
17,745 posts, read 33,059,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The more liberal a place, the more homeless.
Especially when the Mayor declares "FREE camping on all public city owned property" then the crowds of homeless grew nearly 3x! (overnight!) oops.

Expectations vs reality...
1) the world is actually quite small (with current modes of transit)
2) Graffiti is quite universal. Australia has plenty
3) Flying discount carriers makes traveling the world VERY cheap (much more so than I had expected)

reality... discount carriers are not too shabby if you keep your expectations in check.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:41 AM

3,652 posts, read 1,690,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Wait until you go to San Francisco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel