U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:44 PM

1,360 posts, read 547,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That could backfire on a person. Some hotels don't allow for cancellations and charge you for part of the stay. Expedia is all prepaid so good luck with any refund. In the fine print, it goes over the cancellation policy and it's on the hotels side not the guest. The hotel is giving up far more than the guest.
The OP didn't elaborate if he was using the non-refundable option. He just mentioned that he was afraid to cancel and re-book because this was the week of Eclipse.

If he used the non-refundable option, then that was already a done deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 02:03 PM

71,968 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Earlier this year, I planned a trip to Charleston SC to view the Great American Eclipse, which was three days ago, and I'm still in Charleston. For reasons that seemed important at the time I booked the whole week at this one hotel. I used Expedia.

A few days before the trip I wanted to change my plans, thinking that would be a simple matter to let them know I wanted cut short my stay in Charleston so I could go see at least one additional city on the east coast, since I've never been here before. NYC seemed the most obvious choice But apparently you can't just "shorten" an existing booking; instead you have to cancel it completely, and then re-book from scratch. And this being the week of the eclipse, and truly a million extra people pouring into the area, there was no way I was going to get a new booking if I'd been foolish enough to give up the one I already had.

OK, I thought. I'll just wait until a day or two after the eclipse, and cancel the rest of my stay then. That was today, and I had actually started looking up flights from Charleston to NYC; a Sunday morning return flight would have dovetailed nicely with the flights I already have from Charleston back to San Diego, so I wouldn't have needed to change those.

As luck would have it, I can't check out early, unless I want to forfeit everything I paid for the remaining nights. Excuse me? How is that a thing now? Just because nowadays people usually pay for their hotels up front, when they book, instead of when they check out--the way it was traditionally done--that means the hotels can just glom onto your cash no matter what? Who made that happen--maybe the local tourist industries?

It's not a total loss; I'm finding enough to see and do right here. But I didn't realize that flexibility was a thing of the past.

And the eclipse? At the viewing party I attended we saw just the first tiny "nibble" into the sun's disc, and then the clouds blew in, thick and dark, and with thunder and lightning.

So nothing on the bucket list gets checked off on this trip...
It can be the broker you booked with in the case: Expedia or the hotel itself. That is why it is so important to read the fine print. lower prices always come with restrictions.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:06 PM

71,968 posts, read 83,640,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hotels and airline booking I never use a middle man like expedia or hotels.com and as far as hotels never had an issue cutting short my stay. I also never take the cheaper non refundable rate as life can throw curves at you at any given moment.

If you are still in Charleston and have a rental car do a day trip to Savannah, it's not that far.
great idea; as for using a middle man, I will if it is my travel agent, in connection with a cruise or something. Otherwise I agree. We used priceline twice: one time we were very pleased, the other time: total disaster and to top it off we actually paid more than if we had booked on our own. I could tell other stories as well but that would just be boring.

Oh, I take that back, we do use travelocity from time to time and have outstanding luck. Even then you have to know what the rules are.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 939,422 times
No major chain hotel like Hilton or Marriott is going to allow one to shorten the stay and not charge for the days not used.

Also the chains have gone from a cencel by 6 Pm policy to one of 24 hours notice to one of 48 hours notice. Some locations even require 72 hour cancellation or all money is lost since at 47 or 71 hours from the time of arrival the money is taken otu of your credit card. This applies to refundable booking

Old 08-24-2017, 03:03 PM

9,076 posts, read 9,510,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That could backfire on a person. Some hotels don't allow for cancellations and charge you for part of the stay. Expedia is all prepaid so good luck with any refund. In the fine print, it goes over the cancellation policy and it's on the hotels side not the guest. The hotel is giving up far more than the guest.
And, many times you are required to pay a deposit when you make the reservation which may or may not be refundable. That would be double the deposit

Old 08-24-2017, 07:06 PM

6,208 posts, read 2,868,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
This is actually quite common nowadays. Most hotels offer a cheaper, though non-refundable rate and one you can cancel for free until the day before at a higher price.

Regardless, most hotels won't let you cut a stay short and refund the balance once you've arrived. With trip insurance, you can do so with reimbursement for the unused days if you have a medical emergency or similar covered occurrence.
Untrue. Most Hotels will release the room if you depart early. The refund can be established thru your credit card company. Disputes are common and most will side with the card holder when they provide proof that they did depart or check out on a particular day. Expedia is NOT the HOTEL. So they make no rules directly on the stay provisions. that is done ultimately by the hotel. They are just a go between for Hotel bookings.

The hotel I worked for preferred keeping a guest "happy" and that often included refunds if they chose to leave early or even check out late. We valued them for choosing "Us" in their business or personal travels.

They can't hold a guest hostage ....

Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 PM

1,179 posts, read 479,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Untrue. Most Hotels will release the room if you depart early. The refund can be established thru your credit card company. Disputes are common and most will side with the card holder when they provide proof that they did depart or check out on a particular day. Expedia is NOT the HOTEL. So they make no rules directly on the stay provisions. that is done ultimately by the hotel. They are just a go between for Hotel bookings.

The hotel I worked for preferred keeping a guest "happy" and that often included refunds if they chose to leave early or even check out late. We valued them for choosing "Us" in their business or personal travels.

They can't hold a guest hostage ....
That wasn't my experience the one time it happened to me. I left a day early from a Hotel Indigo stay once because the people next door had a horribly noisy dog in the room. The hotel wouldn't do anything about the problem despite my repeated phone complaints and furthermore refused to refund the day when I told them I was leaving early because of it. The credit card wouldn't accept this as a legitimate reason for refund, either. I ate the charge, but at least I was able to sleep at the new place. This squares with experiences I've heard about from other people, too.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:39 PM

3,296 posts, read 1,564,774 times
book hotel direct with the hotel companies website, since they all do price match. most will even go lower than advertised rates, simply for signing up as a member, which is free and worth it. read the fine print, but most times, dealing direct with a Major, the stay can be shortened without issue, unless it was a "special package rate".

Old 08-25-2017, 03:37 AM

6,973 posts, read 3,870,340 times
[quote=Those Who Squirm;49294819]Earlier this year, I planned a trip to Charleston SC to view the Great American Eclipse, which was three days ago, and I'm still in Charleston. For reasons that seemed important at the time I booked the whole week at this one hotel. I used Expedia.

A few days before the trip I wanted to change my plans, thinking that would be a simple matter to let them know I wanted cut short my stay in Charleston so I could go see at least one additional city on the east coast, since I've never been here before. NYC seemed the most obvious choice But apparently you can't just "shorten" an existing booking; instead you have to cancel it completely, and then re-book from scratch. And this being the week of the eclipse, and truly a million extra people pouring into the area, there was no way I was going to get a new booking if I'd been foolish enough to give up the one I already had.

OK, I thought. I'll just wait until a day or two after the eclipse, and cancel the rest of my stay then. That was today, and I had actually started looking up flights from Charleston to NYC; a Sunday morning return flight would have dovetailed nicely with the flights I already have from Charleston back to San Diego, so I wouldn't have needed to change those.

As luck would have it, I can't check out early, unless I want to forfeit everything I paid for the remaining nights. Excuse me? How is that a thing now? Just because nowadays people usually pay for their hotels up front, when they book, instead of when they check out--the way it was traditionally done--that means the hotels can just glom onto your cash no matter what? Who made that happen--maybe the local tourist industries?

It's not a total loss; I'm finding enough to see and do right here. But I didn't realize that flexibility was a thing of the past.

And the eclipse? At the viewing party I attended we saw just the first tiny "nibble" into the sun's disc, and then the clouds blew in, thick and dark, and with thunder and lightning.

So nothing on the bucket list gets checked off on this trip...[/QUOTE]

Well, you could add this to your bucket list:

"Learn to read and understand terms and conditions."

Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 AM

1,837 posts, read 788,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Earlier this year, I planned a trip to Charleston SC to view the Great American Eclipse, which was three days ago, and I'm still in Charleston. For reasons that seemed important at the time I booked the whole week at this one hotel. I used Expedia.

So nothing on the bucket list gets checked off on this trip...

My friend works for a major hotel chain. There are many different options when booking that vary in price. The lowest pricing is non cancelable and states so even on Expedia or any of the other sites. It has alway been this way but many people fail to read the details. If you want flexibility, then pay extra for it. Enjoy Charleston, rent a car if you haven't and take a trip to Savannah, it's not that far. Leave early in the morning get back late in the evening. Charleston is a wonderful city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel