Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:10 AM

29 posts, read 26,486 times

Advertisements

Hi All - We are a family of three including a 2 year old and planning for a trip this Labor Day weekend to CT, RI, Cape Cod and Boston over a period of 4-5 days, from Jersey City. Looking for advice on the spots/places to visit during the trip. Following are the details:
  1. First Day, leave early morning to reach CT by noon to visit Mystic Aquarium. Leave after lunch to head towards our hotel in Dartmouth. On the way, stop for sightseeing in Newport, RI.
  2. Day two - From Dartmouth, visit Cape Cod bay (mostly Provincetown) and is possible cover Martha's Vineyard
  3. Day three to Day five- Leave for Boston (will be staying at friend's place) and cover Boston attraction over a course of 2 days

Please let me know the major attractions/not to miss spots at the location mentioned above. Also, open to suggestions on inclusion of(if possible) any new locations. Thanks a ton in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:18 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I went to Boston, Salem and Cape Cod last week. Saw a rescue of 6 dolphins on the beach in Provincetown. That was nice to watch.

In Boston, the major tourist area is the Harbor and Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Also, check out other areas like Beacon Hill, Newbury Street and Cambridge. Do the trolley tour if you can.

I also recommend Newport, RI, which I visited years ago.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I went to Boston, Salem and Cape Cod last week. Saw a rescue of 6 dolphins on the beach in Provincetown. That was nice to watch.

In Boston, the major tourist area is the Harbor and Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Also, check out other areas like Beacon Hill, Newbury Street and Cambridge. Do the trolley tour if you can.

I also recommend Newport, RI, which I visited years ago.

Thanks so much!...Will definitely make a note the points suggested by you. Can you help me with questions around Cape Code? Is Provincetown the major tourist attraction? Is there a particular beach that we should visit in Provincetown? and I read about the Boat tours and Whale watching activity as well, are these worth? We have a 2 year old, hence don't want to be very ambitious and visit only the main attractions. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 PM

Look forward to suggestions please!!!

Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
If you have your heart set on Provincetown, make sure you can find a place to stay, first. Many places have 3 day minimums during high season and many guesthouses won't be child-friendly. P-town and the Vineyard would make for a VERY long day, probably not practical with a toddler.

Since you picked the Cape, what did you want to see there? Many people go simply to relax and go to the beach. P-town has beaches, but also a lot of galleries, restaurants and street life.

Ditto Boston. The things you "must" see and do depend on what you like and are interested in. A guidebook will tell you that the historical sights along the Freedom Trail are a must, but will your toddler think so?

Last edited by Cantabridgienne; 08-30-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
For a 2 year old child, I suggest the Boston Aquarium: Home - New England Aquarium

Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
If you have your heart set on Provincetown, make sure you can find a place to stay, first. Many places have 3 day minimums during high season and many guesthouses won't be child-friendly. P-town and the Vineyard would make for a VERY long day, probably not practical with a toddler.

Since you picked the Cape, what did you want to see there? Many people go simply to relax and go to the beach. P-town has beaches, but also a lot of galleries, restaurants and street life.

Ditto Boston. The things you "must" see and do depend on what you like and are interested in. A guidebook will tell you that the historical sights along the Freedom Trail are a must, but will your toddler think so?

Thank you! Yes, we do want to relax and visit beaches primarily. And Provincetown and its beaches are what I read the most visited, hence was the choice. However, open to suggestions on the places in Cape Cod and he beaches as well. I read Herring Cove and Race Point beaches are the best. And we already have a hotel booked in Dartmouth for our trip. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-30-2017, 04:47 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT2015 View Post
Hi All - We are a family of three including a 2 year old and planning for a trip this Labor Day weekend to CT, RI, Cape Cod and Boston over a period of 4-5 days, from Jersey City. Looking for advice on the spots/places to visit during the trip. Following are the details:
  1. First Day, leave early morning to reach CT by noon to visit Mystic Aquarium. Leave after lunch to head towards our hotel in Dartmouth. On the way, stop for sightseeing in Newport, RI.
  2. Day two - From Dartmouth, visit Cape Cod bay (mostly Provincetown) and is possible cover Martha's Vineyard
  3. Day three to Day five- Leave for Boston (will be staying at friend's place) and cover Boston attraction over a course of 2 days

Please let me know the major attractions/not to miss spots at the location mentioned above. Also, open to suggestions on inclusion of(if possible) any new locations. Thanks a ton in advance!
I think your trip is too ambitious. I'd limit day one to Mystic, seeing the aquarium and Mystic Seaport, both excellent. That's plenty enough for one day, especially if you're not planning to get to the aquarium until noon.

I'd stick to Cape Cod for day two and pick one town to visit. Provincetown is a bit of a drive, but if you go there, there are good beaches, the Pilgrim Monument (a tower you can climb to see the view plus a small local artifacts museum), the Provincetown Art Association and Museum, and the Whydah Museum (artifacts of a salvaged shipwreck plus some pirate related stuff). You might also consider seeing a town lower down on the Cape instead -- Sandwich is a good choice (Sandwich Glass Museum, Heritage Museum and Gardens, Hoxie House, Dexter Grist Mill, various bay beaches). Tons of shopping in Provincetown and some in Sandwich as well.

Two days in Boston would allow you to spend one day exploring the Freedom Trail. For your second day, choose from either:

-the Museum of Fine Arts and the Gardner Museum (if you like art museums)
-a jaunt to Cambridge to visit Harvard Yard and explore Harvard University (good architecture to see strolling the campus, plus museums devoted to natural history, anthropology, and art)
-visits to the Aquarium and/or the Museum of Science if you have kids to keep happy.

You won't have time for Martha's Vineyard, and if you're expecting to take your car over, that has to be reserved months in advance. And with a late start in Mystic, you won't get to Newport, RI until after the attractions have closed (there are tons of great mansions to tour there). The best you'd probably be able to do is drive around and see the mansions from the outside or maybe walk the Cliff Walk.

Bear in mind that traffic will likely be a nightmare, especially on the Cape (particularly going to and coming from) on Labor Day weekend. Lots and lots of people will have the same idea you do. It will likely take you longer to get around than you think. Also, do not try to drive and park in Boston or Cambridge, which is not for the faint of heart -- take public transportation, which is excellent and convenient to anything you'll want to see.

Check opening and closing days and times for anything you want to see. Some attractions are closed Sundays and/or Mondays.

Have fun!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
We plan to do a Labor Day vintage Merry-go-round tour (There are several in your region of interest, including 2 of the oldest in USA (Flying Horses) Watch Hill, RI and Martha's Vineyard

National Carousel Association - National Carousel Association - Carousel Census Map
National Carousel Association - Census Entry
National Carousel Association - Census Entry

Old 08-30-2017, 11:10 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
There's an excellent children's museum in Boston too.

While Newport is gorgeous, I don't think your toddler will love The Breakers or have the patience for the lines.

May I also suggest visiting The Constitution while in Boston. Park the car and use the public transportation. Driving and parking in Boston is not easy.

Have to agree that is an ambitious itinerary with a 2 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel