U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:08 AM

5,015 posts, read 2,306,785 times

Advertisements

My dream is that someday I can take my son on HIS dream vacation; which is actually more like a grand world tour!

Despite being profoundly Autistic, he has always had a desire to learn about far away places & people. He taught himself how to use Google Earth before I even knew what it was & based on that & his limited language ability I know that he wants to see: The Pyramids of Giza. The Great Wall of China. Tokyo. NYC. And the animation studio of the Discovery Channel networks.

I would literally sell what is left of my soul, to be able to do this with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 03:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,689 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My dream is that someday I can take my son on HIS dream vacation; which is actually more like a grand world tour!

Despite being profoundly Autistic, he has always had a desire to learn about far away places & people. He taught himself how to use Google Earth before I even knew what it was & based on that & his limited language ability I know that he wants to see: The Pyramids of Giza. The Great Wall of China. Tokyo. NYC. And the animation studio of the Discovery Channel networks.

I would literally sell what is left of my soul, to be able to do this with him.
Do it!

We did a 1yr RTW in 2016 (Election yr, good time to be gone from USA). Very cheap <$40k, much was for rental cars / campervans (do something different...). Air / Sea / Stays / Food was very cheap. We stay with locals, ($10 / day) only had to use 8 hotels the entire yr away. Eat via grocery / food co-ops / farm stands ~ $10 / day.

It was great, but the world is so big we will need to do a few more of these trips to see much of this huge Earth.

We had a one-way ticket from USA to Australia, we 'winged-it' the rest of the trip and eventually made it home (reluctantly)

Old 08-28-2017, 03:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,689 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
My dream vacation is to Southern Africa. I want to do a photo safari and stay in decent accommodation.
A friend did this tour (Africa via remote dirt airstrips and a DC3). Excellent pics / and experience.

https://www.travcoa.com/press-releas...i-classic-dc-3

20-day, 5600-mile adventure through six African countries. Limited to just 18 guests, the all-inclusive Ultimate Africa by Classic DC-3 flying safari provides a unique opportunity for travelers to experience the people, culture, wildlife and beauty of Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana and South Africa, while benefiting from the unique access, flexibility, and low-level flight-seeing for which the DC-3 is legendary.

Of special interest was that my friend worked at McDonald Douglas in 1947 when this DC3 was built! Sweet!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,412,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
A tour of all of my European bucket list destinations.
while I love the beach, I have the attention span of a knat so after a day or two I'm bored. I love the look of Bora-Bora but what do you do for 2 weeks.

I also dream of visiting European capitals. I adore Paris and could gladly spend some major time there, going to London next June, then Spain. slowly but surely working my way through the list

Old 08-28-2017, 11:07 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,272,585 times
Took it, summer 2015: 2,700 miles by paved and gravel road through southern Africa (SA, Namibia, Zim, Botswana) in a bit under a month, via BMW motorcycle. "Summer" our time, spring their's btw. Group of about 12. Only one major casualty, way better than I personally expected and he recovered well-enough, I hear tell. Two famous riders accompanied us, I've dropped their names enough times and we pal around to this day on (social media site). Those guys, the "cowboys", helped us with the route for the day. We stayed in spectacular places no one in North America could comprehend, and believe me I've crawled all over CONUS into northern BC. Vastly different fauna and geology down there, enough for many lifetimes of exploration.

Culturally, less foreign than you'd think to Americans due to hundreds of years of English, Dutch, then later Afrikaans and German presence. Good, ill, and plenty of both: influences are everywhere in structure of buildings, roads, language, mannerism. Only in the Caprivi heading into the interior of southern Africa do things start to change significantly.

What does one do when dreams are fulfilled? I was depressed, I think, once that struggle was removed after eight months of planning (at least) and various other sacrifices to do this. I've wanted to see the Namib (desert) since High School, all the diamond mines and some of the most desolate and beautiful country on earth, end of story. Getting there from the U.S.: forget it, huge struggle that 99.99% will not undertake. I did, because I do things like that w/o more than usual fear of failure.

So, next up, more to spirit of the thread, now may be Chile and Argentina, similarly epic ride with a different bunch of chummies (and a few strangers) down to the Patagonia sometime end of '18. I'd really like to see Tierra del Fuego once, long-shot Galapagos tour if possible (though don't know about logistics of such).

I do enough sitting around on my ample can 11 months/year. That last month I like to go somewhere, do interesting things, preferably by bike but on-foot or even car if absolutely necessary, though car tours outside my 911 Porsche are pretty much for sissies these days to my way of thinking. I'm not as well financed as "Top Gear", either.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:45 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,011,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
International Space Station!
Actually that's a really good one. I'll take a month on the Space Station, or anywhere in space.

I'd still want to go back to my permanent vacation on a tropical isle. I would only trade that for a spot on a generation ship!

Old 09-02-2017, 11:22 PM

539 posts, read 247,255 times
Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto. With an unlimited budget for food, drink, toys and electronics.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:57 PM

2,553 posts, read 1,649,701 times
My own lagoon island in Bora Bora.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,045,598 times
I live in San Jose, CA, and I'd love to go do San Francisco like a rich tourist! I'd get a cab or Lyft to take me to my swank hotel, go see a bunch of shows, pay for a tour bus to show me around the city, eat like a queen, take a bay cruise. I'd spend time in each different district and eat Russian, Japanese, Italian, Irish, Chinese, El Salvadoran.

Then, after about a week of that, hire my Lyft to take me back home to San Jose :-)

Old 09-04-2017, 09:21 PM

38,123 posts, read 55,915,020 times
Quote:
nternational Space Station!
^^^ Right!!! All that posted above isn't fantasy, but very much doable if someone just make a decision and start planning.
Fantasy vacation would be like fly to another planet or star... something that exists only in imagination...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or