U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:16 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
In case Fogo doesn't ring any bells, here's a map of the (probable) route - https://goo.gl/maps/61qbnh1a66x
When you make it to Fogo Island, check out the sculpture there memorializing the Great Auk:
The Lost Bird Project | LOST BIRD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
I'm not much of a road tripper, but one day I'd like to drive out the the Nebraska Panhandle and hike Toadstool Geologic Park and see Fort Robinson State Park (for its history) and Carhenge (for it's classic roadside kitch).

Old 08-28-2017, 09:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm not much of a road tripper, but one day I'd like to drive out the the Nebraska Panhandle and hike Toadstool Geologic Park and see Fort Robinson State Park (for its history) and Carhenge (for it's classic roadside kitch).
Don't miss Ole's Paxton, NE - Ole's Big Game Steakhouse and Lounge

Pioneer Village is worth a stop on your way back east... the only place I have seen a 'Dog-Powered-Washing-Machine'. The entire site is very well done. Great for a rainy / cool day. Discounted entry with camping or motel. http://www.pioneervillage.org/

Windmill State Park is nearby also.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 PM

3,610 posts, read 4,669,845 times
I have a bunch:

1) Around the Great Lakes.
2) Ferry to Newfoundland (made it to Cape Breton, just couldn't seal the deal).
3) Across Oklahoma. Have been to all but Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Would finish my 50 states.
4) Up to Labrador. Would probably need a better car.
5) To Alaska
6) 49 state, 10 province ultimate road trip (assuming I win the lottery)

Old 08-28-2017, 10:48 PM

787 posts, read 370,650 times
Next year we're planning on driving to Crater Lake Oregon meeting some friends in Eugene, and hitting other Oregon sights.

I'd also like to do a trip to the devil's tower in Wyoming and then over to Mount Rushmore and through Custer state park and the Badlands in South Dakota.

Finally I want to travel to Glacier national park.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:29 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,655,140 times
I'd love to do "The World's Longest Yard Sale" (690 miles from Addison, MI to Gadsden, AL thousands of vendors) sometime. With a nice big van so I can take home goodies.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:19 AM

3,900 posts, read 1,655,140 times
BTW, I've already been to the Grand Canyon 3 times, Bryce, Zion, Capital Reef, Yosemite (several times), Yellowstone, Volcanoes National Park, New Mexico (including Carlsbad Caverns), driven California to New York twice, and back once--taking 3 different routes, and driven the west coast from Vancouver to Ensenada (not all at once). They're all FABULOUS, and I look forward to visiting them again.

But I also like to shop for bargains!

Old 08-29-2017, 02:20 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,252,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Is there a road trip that you want to take but haven't yet?

I have a few buddies who are really into music and most have never been to New Orleans or Memphis or Cajun country. How can they be almost 70 and be music people but never set foot in New Orleans? I'm thinking about a road trip starting from St. Louis and heading south at a leisurely pace along the Mississippi into the delta with stops in Memphis, Clarksdale, Vicksburg, etc., and into New Orleans over to Lafayette and Eunice. The food should be good too. I'm open to suggestions.
Oh yes! So many! I live in Ohio so...

1. Route 66.

2. Memphis (II want to see Graceland) Nashville, and visit relatives in Arkansas while I'm there.

3. New England in the Fall. And Salem.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:13 AM

1,463 posts, read 635,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I have some major surgery events that are going to keep me local until next spring, but then I'm going to drive from Seattle to Fogo.

I'll stop and see friends in Sacramento and family in Philly on the way and friends in Montreal on the way back. No idea how long I'll be gone but I've already got a commitment for house and dog sitting.

I'll stop at Cape Breton Highlands NP and take the ferry over to St. Pierre Island so I can say I've driven almost all the way to France from Seattle. I may do the trip in late summer or early fall and catch some autumn foliage in eastern Canada.

In case Fogo doesn't ring any bells, here's a map of the (probable) route - https://goo.gl/maps/61qbnh1a66x

Fogo Island Hotel -

Cape Breton Highlands -

St. John's (NL) Narrows

St. Pierre Island (FR) -
Every time we caught an episode of "Republic of Doyle" on TV, my wife would say, "We MUST go see St. John's Newfoundland, it looks great.
Still haven't done it, but now I know about France's St. Pierre Island, I'll try harder.
It never fails to amuse me when we're in France and I switch into French, only to have my wife say, "I don't get it, you're a cockney ex-truck driver, but you speak French."
Having a trace of French blood, and paying attention at school paid off.
If we get to St. Pierre, I just hope the local accent isn't as impenetrable as Québécois, I occasionally struggled there.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,636,113 times
1. Denver, CO to Anchorage, AK
2. Denver, CO to Death Valley National Park (not a very difficult drive, just haven't had time to do it!)
3. Denver, CO to states along the Gulf Coast (Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or