U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM

1,256 posts, read 541,298 times

Advertisements

Route 66 - with stops to explore ghost towns.
Also, Pacific Coast Hwy

Has anyone done it? Recommend or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 12:39 PM

3,876 posts, read 1,646,297 times
I've done parts of Rte 66, and the entire PCH (I think part of that is closed now, around Big Sur?)
Beautiful areas, very different from each other, both worth the trip.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Also, Pacific Coast Hwy

Pacific Coast Highway in Early Oct, great sunsets due to wildfire smoke, but still decent weather and sand.

Go southbound on Left Coast, so you don't have to cross oncoming traffic to enjoy each scenic overlook.

Lots to do out west, so best to make a RT and see the Cascades when going one direction (North Cascade NP, Mt Rainier / Seattle / Mt St Helens / Columbia River Gorge / Mt Hood / Crater Lake / Lava Caves / Lassen / Lake Tahoe / Yosemite / Sequoia / Mammoth / Death Valley / Joshua Tree / Salton Sea)

Old 08-29-2017, 11:37 PM

3,982 posts, read 3,250,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Also, Pacific Coast Hwy

First did Hwy 1 from where it starts, up near Garberville CA, down into SF back in 1990. On a motorcycle, only way to go so you can get traffic out of your way. Nothing quite like CA or Hwy 1, I'll tell you.

In 1991 I moved to the Bay Area, not coincidentally, and lived there seven years. Rode bikes all over the state and my job had heavy travel in my car and company trucks. To say "I've seen a lot of NorCal (and much of SoCal" is an understatement, though it's a huge state.

Yes, you need to do that run. Once. You'll understand, it's like a different planet and you'll love it (probably) or want to go back to (wherever you live).

Route 66: there are no "ghost towns" I'm aware of, though there are stretches of existing towns that have seen better days and will rot for centuries out in the hot, dry air.

I figured the best way to see/do Route 66...which everyone needs to do once...was with a photography clinic run by one of the more famous American photographers. He's a buzzard and cantakerous, so naturally he and I got along well. Point being, only spent three days crawling the CA part of former 66, but the guys running the clinic knew the off-the-beaten track parts. To me, that saved huge time.

K, then: Couple Highway 1 shots...oh wait, I have none. This was back when cameras were a bit exotic! You don't need one, just look up any of the coastal towns, think "wind-swept and chilly," you've pretty much got it. Doesn't really warm up on that coast until c. San Luis Obispo, anyway.

...followed by couple old Route 66 shots: those, I have:

Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 AM

1,256 posts, read 541,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
First did Hwy 1 from where it starts, up near Garberville CA, down into SF back in 1990. On a motorcycle, only way to go so you can get traffic out of your way. Nothing quite like CA or Hwy 1, I'll tell you.

In 1991 I moved to the Bay Area, not coincidentally, and lived there seven years. Rode bikes all over the state and my job had heavy travel in my car and company trucks. To say "I've seen a lot of NorCal (and much of SoCal" is an understatement, though it's a huge state.

Yes, you need to do that run. Once. You'll understand, it's like a different planet and you'll love it (probably) or want to go back to (wherever you live).

Route 66: there are no "ghost towns" I'm aware of, though there are stretches of existing towns that have seen better days and will rot for centuries out in the hot, dry air.

I figured the best way to see/do Route 66...which everyone needs to do once...was with a photography clinic run by one of the more famous American photographers. He's a buzzard and cantakerous, so naturally he and I got along well. Point being, only spent three days crawling the CA part of former 66, but the guys running the clinic knew the off-the-beaten track parts. To me, that saved huge time.

K, then: Couple Highway 1 shots...oh wait, I have none. This was back when cameras were a bit exotic! You don't need one, just look up any of the coastal towns, think "wind-swept and chilly," you've pretty much got it. Doesn't really warm up on that coast until c. San Luis Obispo, anyway.

...followed by couple old Route 66 shots: those, I have:

Fantastic photography! Are the crosses people who died along that stretch of highway?

Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
Route 66 is very popular with foreign tourists. I made a number of trips back and forth over the past ten years and ran into many Brits in rented vans asking directions. They may still be out there somewhere. The route is spotty and largely replaced by the interstate but there is still a lot there if you get off the interstate when you can to follow the old route. The actual route changed several times, especially in New Mexico, so you might find relics where you would not expect them. Some places, like Tucumcari, have preserved classic old motels that are restored...look up the Blue Swallow or Safari motels. I met a couple Danish guys once who were going east to west on rented Harleys. They said it was a popular trip for Europeans. You can rent Harleys in Chicago and take them one-way down Route 66 to Los Angeles and fly home.

There's a "musical highway" near Tijeras NM where your tires play "America the Beautiful" on grooves cut in the Rt. 66 pavement if you drive at a certain speed.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 9,497,381 times
PCH with the top down.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:20 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,311,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Route 66 is very popular with foreign tourists. I made a number of trips back and forth over the past ten years and ran into many Brits in rented vans asking directions. They may still be out there somewhere. The route is spotty and largely replaced by the interstate but there is still a lot there if you get off the interstate when you can to follow the old route. The actual route changed several times, especially in New Mexico, so you might find relics where you would not expect them. Some places, like Tucumcari, have preserved classic old motels that are restored...look up the Blue Swallow or Safari motels. I met a couple Danish guys once who were going east to west on rented Harleys. They said it was a popular trip for Europeans. You can rent Harleys in Chicago and take them one-way down Route 66 to Los Angeles and fly home.
I know there have been a ton of YouTubers that have done Route 66 to death, but there's one I follow, who is based out of Anaheim, and he does a lot of Disney stuff, but he also likes doing roadside attractions and just did the entire Route 66 from Santa Monica to Chicago over a month, with like 29 videos, and he stops by many of the famous original hotels and talks a lot about the history and the different tracks Route 66 has gone over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84XY0JRCbEM

Old 08-31-2017, 10:38 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
want to rent the giant RV and spend a week or so driving up and down the North South highways throughout the Dakotas and Great Plains states. Besides being enthralled with the beauty and history of the plains, it would give me an intro to handling a big RV for the first time without having to learn in the mountains.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
want to rent the giant RV and spend a week or so driving up and down the North South highways throughout the Dakotas and Great Plains states. ... it would give me an intro to handling a big RV for the first time without having to learn in the mountains.
try to avoid this N/S Dakota route until you get some 'practice' in the RV, It is quite nice!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...th_Dakota.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or