U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:47 AM

4,036 posts, read 3,276,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
try to avoid this N/S Dakota route until you get some 'practice' in the RV, It is quite nice!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...th_Dakota.html
Had to chuckle about this one. I spent the bulk of my life avoiding North and South Dakota, they being some of those blasted and wretched lands in this United States. There certainly are Scenic Parts in each, however.

The irony is, if you read some of the Full timing websites for RV people, South Dakota in particular is one of the most popular states to set up a shadowy residency for various reasons. I will be amused if the universe turns in such a way that I take up residence so to speak in South Dakota 10 years from now, if I go full timing. Otherwise, not the kind of practice I find all that interesting except perhaps on a motorcycle and perhaps also in either May or September when it isn't oven hot or freezing cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 10:24 AM

1,033 posts, read 587,610 times
What's a road trip you want to take but haven't -- yet?

Alaska!! All the way north, to Prudhoe Bay. It’s “only” 3,500 miles from San Francisco — one way! gMap: https://goo.gl/Q1N7ik

This is on my bucket list. My wife and I are road trippers and explorers. Even though we’re still very young and in our mid-50s, we don’t mind the occassional camping out. Not sleeping on the ground, but sleeping in the back of our Jeep Grand Cherokee. We’ll likely do that on our trip north. It’s not scheduled yet, but we will go!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:26 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,709,298 times
The one I never got around to, was the drive up to James Bay, in Quebec. By all accounts, the road is decent, there are a numbe of towns with accommodations up there. All the offshore islands are in Nunavut, and you can arrange to have a local outfitter take you to one of them for a daytrip. Who do you know who has ever been to Nunavut?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 PM

384 posts, read 124,918 times
Quoddy Head State Park in Maine to Cape Blanco, Oregon. Easternmost to westernmost point in the continental United States.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:24 PM

384 posts, read 124,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
What's a road trip you want to take but haven't -- yet?

Alaska!! All the way north, to Prudhoe Bay. It’s “only” 3,500 miles from San Francisco — one way! gMap: https://goo.gl/Q1N7ik

This is on my bucket list. My wife and I are road trippers and explorers. Even though we’re still very young and in our mid-50s, we don’t mind the occassional camping out. Not sleeping on the ground, but sleeping in the back of our Jeep Grand Cherokee. We’ll likely do that on our trip north. It’s not scheduled yet, but we will go!
Imagine if 101 went that far north. I can visualize a mileage sign around Sausalito or San Rafael that would read something like....Eureka: 253....Seattle: 891....Prudhoe Bay: 3493...That's nearly 500 miles farther than it is from San Francisco to New York City.

Last edited by droc31; 03-23-2018 at 10:33 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
Imagine if 101 went that far north. I can visualize a mileage sign around Sausalito or San Rafael that would read something like....Eureka: 253....Seattle: 891....Prudhoe Bay: 3493...That's nearly 500 miles farther than it is from San Francisco to New York City.
That’d be cool, like in Bishop CA, the sign at the beginning of highway US-6 that says 3,205 miles to Provincetown MA:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/333336...autologin=true (let me know if that link works or not)

Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 PM

895 posts, read 2,554,208 times
Mariners fan and I want to drive from my home in Salem to Toronto Canada to the Blue Jay and the M's play..I think that would be just plan fun..

Old 03-27-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Mariners fan and I want to drive from my home in Salem to Toronto Canada to the Blue Jay and the M's play..I think that would be just plan fun..
Great idea. And if you road-tripped it to the Rogers Centre in Toronto and also if the timing were right, you could also catch your Ms along the way at...
  • The K — Kaufman Stadium in KC
  • Progressive Field in Cleveland
  • Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago (Guaranteed Rate Field? Really? US Cellular Field / New Comiskey!)
  • Comerica Park in Detroit
  • Target Field in Minneapolis

That’d be an epic road trip!

Old 03-27-2018, 10:56 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,473,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
I'm an M's fan too, and I've been to Rogers Centre (but not for baseball), but I flew. That's a LONG drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Great idea. And if you road-tripped it to the Rogers Centre in Toronto and also if the timing were right, you could also catch your Ms along the way at...
  • The K — Kaufman Stadium in KC
  • Progressive Field in Cleveland
  • Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago (Guaranteed Rate Field? Really? US Cellular Field / New Comiskey!)
  • Comerica Park in Detroit
  • Target Field in Minneapolis

That’d be an epic road trip!
My wife and I have done a couple of these. She's a Rockies fan, and we've managed to see the Rockies and the M's in the same cities/areas before.

In 2012, we flew in to Chicago on a Thursday, drove up to Milwaukee to tour Miller Park, slept, then drove to Michigan for lunch on Friday, because she had never set foot in MI before). On Saturday, we saw the Cubs play the Rockies at Wrigley, and on Sunday we saw the White Sox play the Mariners at (now) Guaranteed Rate (this game got rained out after ~ 6 ). Took the train to both games, and we flew home on Monday.

In 2015, we drove from Denver to Seattle, saw the Mariners play, then drove down to Los Angeles (via Portland, San Francisco/Oakland {but saw no games in those }) and saw the Dodgers play a meaningless (for us) game against the D'Backs. Story here: Epic west coast US family trip, how to do it most efficiently/least costly?

Last year, we went to Phoenix for Spring Training, and saw the Mariners play the Rockies at Talking Stick (Rockies home), and the Mariners play the A's in Peoria (M's home). If there are baseball fans who have never gone to spring training, they NEED TO GO. It is a blast.

Last summer, we flew out to Los Angeles, saw the Dodgers play the Rockies at Dodger Stadium, saw the Angels play the Mariners at Angel Stadium, saw the Padres play the Tigers at Petco, and then a couple of days later we went down to Tijuana, Mexico to see the Toros play a team from Oaxaca. We were pretty baseballed out by the last one, but it was spread over the course of 10 days or so, and the Toros game was by far the most fun.

This May, we are doing a Nashville-St. Louis-Louisville-Cincinnati trip, and if we don't get to games in each, we will at the very least try and visit the stadiums. We're going to break this up over ~ 10 days, and will be hopping from BNA-STL via plane.

During the fall of 2017, I told my wife that I have officially retired from long road trips. We were driving from Denver to Los Angeles, and by the time we hit Utah, I made and accepted my decision. I've been working in the courier business since 2007, and have made deliveries virtually everywhere between Seattle and Kansas City. I've probably logged close to 650K miles since 2007, I'm just simply over going on long trips in the car for fun anymore. Much of my summer youth was spent in a car as well, and while I look back on it fondly, I think I've done enough time with wheels under me to last a few lifetimes. I'm good flying to places and driving up to 4 hours or so.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the May trip I mentioned above, but there's nowhere that I'm terribly dying to go right now via car. If I had the time/lifestyle, however, I would set my driving retirement aside to do the Pan American Highway.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM

9,603 posts, read 17,210,841 times
Great time for me to be answering this question as I'm getting ready to do that road trip with an extension. I'll be going this summer and starting out from St. Louis in an old truck with a camper shell and I'll head west thru KC and then cut north thru Omaha and then west thru South Dakota and Montana and northern ID and then Washington b/c I've always wanted to see the Pacific Northwest. So that was the original plan but then I decided to go ahead and head north thru BC into Alaska. If a grizzly don't get me, somethin' else will so I have a big adventure in front of me. Just me and my dog, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or