U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:59 AM

3,463 posts, read 1,543,057 times

Advertisements

I lived in Moab for 10 years and would highly suggest Arches and Canyonlands. With both, you can drive to scenic overlooks and check them out---no hiking or extended walking required unless you want to do that. Most sights can be viewed from the parking lot overlooks. So you can stay in your air-conditioned car even in July-Aug.

If you have time, consider Bryce. It is the most magnificent of all the parks.

These are natural wonders of the world, unlike ski resorts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 AM

629 posts, read 493,910 times
Wonderful suggestions. Thank you everyone.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:46 AM

7,328 posts, read 4,174,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
All of those parks are great. You could also combine the trip with some regional flights, such as Moab-SLC with Boutique air, which is fun as well.
Moab also has a small car rental facility (I forget which brand). So if your budget tan take the hit, one option would be to spend a few days in SLC, then drive to Moab and spend a few days exploring the parks and BLM lands there, then drop the rental car off at Moab and fly home from there. (Obviously, though, returning to SLC will save you money.)

Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,331,328 times
I posted this in another thread recently, and agree with what others have mentioned:

I think all of Southern Utah is amazing (my favorite place in the lower 48, that I've been to so far), all 5 National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef) and a few National Monuments (Cedar Breaks, Rainbow Bridge, Natural Bridges) are all worth a visit and you can also include Monument Valley which straddles the AZ/UT border. I can easily spend two weeks or more exploring/visiting all those places over and over and over.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 AM

All great comments/suggestions and much appreciated. I think my inclination is to suggest to my wife that we spend 4-5 days in and around Salt Lake City and another 3-4 days based in Moab for Arches and Canyonlands.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 PM

15,959 posts, read 6,283,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
All great comments/suggestions and much appreciated. I think my inclination is to suggest to my wife that we spend 4-5 days in and around Salt Lake City and another 3-4 days based in Moab for Arches and Canyonlands.
I'd flip that but sounds not bad. Make sure you do a river tip from Moab.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,019,359 times
Honestly, with a 5 year old, I advise you to just stick close to Salt Lake City. I bet you'll find great things to do right around there.

Traveling with a small child is really trying for both adults and the child. You'll all be much happier if you just keep it simple. Been there. Learned the hard way :-)

Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 PM

15,959 posts, read 6,283,568 times
Quote:
-Fly to Denver and spend 4-5 days in Colorado before returning home?
-Grand Teton and/or Yellowstone, although the latter seems like it should be a vacation unto itself.

Would love to hear any thoughts. Thanks!
Grand Teton/Yellowstone is a trip unto itself. When your daughter is of hiking age I strongly prefer Grand Teton over Yellowstone.

As far as other places in that area, if you can get a short flight to Durango, Colorado (other side of the state from Denver) Durango itself and Pueblo National Park is a great visit with a child that age.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Honestly, with a 5 year old, I advise you to just stick close to Salt Lake City. I bet you'll find great things to do right around there.

Traveling with a small child is really trying for both adults and the child. You'll all be much happier if you just keep it simple. Been there. Learned the hard way :-)
Thanks and I know what you mean. We've traveled frequently with our daughter and she's been to Greece, Italy, Norway, California and the Pacific Northwest and always does pretty well. The key, as we've learned, is to drastically slow down the trip versus how we would plan an itinerary for my wife and myself alone. So in Norway this year for example, we spent 3 days and nights in Bergen when 1.5 days may have otherwise sufficed, and we made sure to hit the aquarium and the troll forest. We then spent 5 nights in a small fjord-side town, and resisted the temptation to run all over the country checking off boxes. The end result was a much happier vacation for all, and we still got to see a lot of wonderful places even if 9 days in Norway usually entails a lot more running around.

That said, Utah is going to be our big summer vacation next year, and I don't want to fly all the way there from NY and not see at least one of the national parks. We're certainly not going to run all over the state visiting all 5 national parks as per Frommers' 1 week itinerary - which in my view is nuts even without a child - but we'd really like to spend 4 days or so in and around Salt Lake and then another 4 days or so based somewhere else, whether that is Moab for Arches/Canyonlands or whether it's to see Bryce and Zion. I think that will be a slow enough pace for my daughter to enjoy, while also letting us get a taste of the national parks for which Utah is famous.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,649 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
I would consider reversing the time span (It can be a day between parks in Southern UT) 2 days in SLC last week was enough for me (and one of those was Park City + Bonneville (2 hrs one way to the opposite side).

Consider driving the long legs at night.
I find a nice community pool and let the kids and spouse swim, while I nap under a tree. Kids travel well at night in car. Not much to see 'between' park in UT +/-.

Have a great time.

The parks are very walkable (even for 5yo) if you have a lot of suncover and water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or