U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-05-2017, 06:33 AM
 
Location: the dairyland
1,195 posts, read 1,926,128 times
Reputation: 1570

Advertisements

I am not adventurous enough to go to potentially unsafe countries like North Korea, most countries in the Middle East sans Israel and many African countries. I also avoid countries with political systems I disagree with (like the Maldives, UAE, China) even if they may be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2017, 10:17 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
Reputation: 7951
I have always had an aversion, prejudice really, to spending any time at all in the Plains states: the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma. My image of what is there, in nature or culturally, isn't terribly impressive. For reference I actually spent 5 enjoyable years in E Iowa & the Black Hills of South Dakota are truly stunning. But it's like asking me to visit Romania or Poland or Kahzakstan, no interest in spending the $$ or effort to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Sydney Australia
597 posts, read 352,876 times
Reputation: 885
I am amazed that so many people do not want to go to Asia. It is such a diverse and enormous place. I do not want to go to India, at this stage, but we have been to Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and China, and to Bali and Thailand, Macau. There is absolutely nothing as good as the food in Malaysia anywhere else I have travelled.
I am actually nervous about our American trip next year even though, over the years, we have spent about 22 weeks travelling in various parts of Nth America. I am nervous about the airports, about blundering with the tipping, about getting sick again as happened when we were in Hawaii a couple of years ago.
I guess we all have our comfort zones but I just love being anywhere new. So I push myself out of that comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 PM
 
88 posts, read 37,082 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I am not adventurous enough to go to potentially unsafe countries like North Korea, most countries in the Middle East sans Israel and many African countries. I also avoid countries with political systems I disagree with (like the Maldives, UAE, China) even if they may be safe.

Paradoxically, there are friends that I know in Northern Europe, who have no interest in visiting USA because they disagree with not only US foreign policy, but with our soft power and faux democracy. It's hard to explain to them, that one may still have a blast listening to music in Nashville and meeting nice folks, whilst disagreeing with the US system. It's not as if they'll be detained, as one won't be detained in UAE or China. I haven't been to the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 AM
 
Location: USA
27 posts, read 13,388 times
Reputation: 87
for the winter season, i never wanna go to Wisconsin because the weather is very dangerous there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 04:30 AM
 
Location: the dairyland
1,195 posts, read 1,926,128 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by timppa View Post
Paradoxically, there are friends that I know in Northern Europe, who have no interest in visiting USA because they disagree with not only US foreign policy, but with our soft power and faux democracy. It's hard to explain to them, that one may still have a blast listening to music in Nashville and meeting nice folks, whilst disagreeing with the US system. It's not as if they'll be detained, as one won't be detained in UAE or China. I haven't been to the latter.
I still prefer to not support certain countries and regimes with my money. At least as much as possible, obviously my car also needs gas. Avoiding the US is ridiculous of course, but UAE and China violate human rights on a regular basis, so I will not go there unless work forces me. Not that there is anything of interest to me in UAE. Also, I could certainly be detained there just like many people who are not married but in a relationship or homosexual etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I still prefer to not support certain countries and regimes with my money. At least as much as possible, obviously my car also needs gas. Avoiding the US is ridiculous of course, but UAE and China violate human rights on a regular basis, so I will not go there unless work forces me. Not that there is anything of interest to me in UAE. Also, I could certainly be detained there just like many people who are not married but in a relationship or homosexual etc.
Why is it ok to avoid UAE and China, while ridiculous to avoid the US? They have a reason as good as yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,756 posts, read 4,169,753 times
Reputation: 15485
Dubai. Actually, the whole middle east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 11:39 AM
 
Location: God's Country
5,188 posts, read 3,505,113 times
Reputation: 8689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Trump Rally

Seattle.


Place is infested with moonbats and snowflakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM
 
Location: New York Area
15,909 posts, read 6,256,417 times
Reputation: 12370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Dubai. Actually, the whole middle east.
What's so bad about Israel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top