U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 02:12 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,305,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What's so bad about Israel?
what's so bad about Jordan? People are far more friendlier than Israelis.

The Arab world has many countries, and let's not assume every country is exactly the same like Saudi Arabia. It is like assuming all western countries are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 05:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 2,926,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
what's so bad about Jordan?
Nothing.

You can't argue with 14 time all-star, 5 time MVP, and six championship rings.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 PM

16,050 posts, read 6,324,967 times
What place do I never want to visit? Hell. Even though Hekla - The Gateway to Hell may not be a bad place to visit.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:03 AM

956 posts, read 1,779,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
LOL awesome. I wouldn't attend a Trump Rally either. For totally unrelated reasons, I also have no interest in visiting:

-Flyover states such as Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Indiana, etc. Seem too flat and uninteresting to me and I'd much rather continue to visit the western third of the nation, which is gorgeous.

-Very materialistic/superficial places like Ibiza or Dubai.

-Dangerous places such as North Korea, El Salvador or many parts of the Middle East (absolutely loved visiting Istanbul though, which is not dangerous).

-Any type of all inclusive Caribbean/Mexican resort or Caribbean cruise where you learn nothing about foreign culture and sit around (over)eating Americanized foods. (Very interested in Mexico to see Mayan pyramids however).
As much as states like Indiana and Missouri get hate(which I suspect is mainly because of state politics being a little more conservative than in blue states), I think one would be missing out not visiting the more interesting places in those states if you're passing through. I.e. going to Columbus, IN to see it's mid-20th century architecture(and I recommend doing a bus tour to look at those sites), Bloomington, Indianapolis, Madison(a nice small town on the Ohio River between Cincinnati and Louisville), to name examples. Missouri has some nice places too, such as Saint Louis, Hermann(a town between StL and Jeff City), Kansas City, and the Ozarks in the southern part of the state to name examples. I even sorta liked Cape Girardeau when I visited, which surprised me for a smaller city. I suspect Saint Joseph and Columbia would be interesting too, but I hadn't been there yet.

Honestly, it's areas like the Mississippi Delta(plus the delta section of eastern and southeast Arkansas) that scare me more, than any of those 'flyover states'. Too much poverty for my taste. Yes the flyovers may not have a lot of culture, but I don't think it'd be the end of the world for someone from an eastern state to visit. Ah C-D, where the infamous bias against the middle of the US states still shows up all the time in threads here. And I'm sure even those eastern states, would have areas I wouldn't want to visit either(i.e. Camden, NJ, much of Baltimore, and Bridgeport, CT didn't leave a good impression on me when I passed through there on the Metro East train).

Old 12-03-2017, 12:14 AM

2,588 posts, read 3,740,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Is there somewhere in the world you purposely avoid ... never wish to visit ... or just have no interest in?
Explain if you wish.

Mine:

Asia. I never never never want to go to to Asia. I know ... never say never. But I've always said never about Asia. It just scares me, and I'm not adventurous enough to go quite so far out of my comfort zone. My daughter may be moving to Indonesia. I'll never see her again! But seriously, my reasons ....

1. Virtually zero interest in seeing any of it
2. The flight to get there is enormously long
3. The climate
4. I can't speak the languages so I'm useless there ... which I'm really ok with.
5. The food. I am absolutely terrified and phobic about germs / getting sick / food poisoning. The only thing worse than vomiting ... is vomiting in Asia (street food sitting out for hours, flies)
6. Dengue fever, malaria, cholera, parasites, dysentery
7. Crowding
8. Traffic
9. Smells
10. The bathrooms (in China I heard about holes in floor, no privacy, no water to wash hands, no TP provided)

Caveat: Japan is beautiful and gracious ... amazing bathrooms! Some of these things may not apply to Japan ... but it's still such a long plane ride, which just isn't my thing.

Have you been to Asia? What was your experience? Is my terror unfounded?

I also never want to go to Russia, mostly because it simply doesn't interest me.
Oh come on, I see other people have let you have it for this but I can't resist letting you have it again.

Asia is by far the largest continent with the broadest diversity of countries and cultures of any continent. You have everything from Japan to Bangladesh to Turkmenistan.

I just want to address your "list."

1. Virtually zero interest in seeing any of it So you are boring? I don't think I have "zero" interest in anything. Sorry, I just can't relate to incurious people.
2. The flight to get there is enormously long This is a valid point. But how many hours a week do you sit at a desk or in front of a tv?
3. The climate Asia offers every climate on Earth.
4. I can't speak the languages so I'm useless there ... which I'm really ok with. Do you speak any other European languages besides English?
5. The food. I am absolutely terrified and phobic about germs / getting sick / food poisoning. The only thing worse than vomiting ... is vomiting in Asia (street food sitting out for hours, flies) You know, they have restaurants and hygiene pretty much all over the world now, don't you?
6. Dengue fever, malaria, cholera, parasites, dysentery Vaccines are readily available.
7. Crowding Sure, Bangladesh, Indian, and parts of China are crowded. Is most of Europe, which is much smaller geographically, crowded as well compared to the U.S.? Have you heard about Mongolia?
8. Traffic Traffic in the US is much more oppressive in my experience. Hire the right taxi, tuk tuk, rickshaw driver and traffic becomes a non-issue. Besides, why would you rent a car in places like that?
9. Smells Visit New York City in certain parts and then tell me Asia has weird smells.
10. The bathrooms (in China I heard about holes in floor, no privacy, no water to wash hands, no TP provided) They have modern bathrooms all over the world now, not that it might instantly kill you to do it the way humans have been doing for thousands of years up until the last century.

Lastly:

I also never want to go to Russia, mostly because it simply doesn't interest me. So the country with arguably one of the most fascinating histories of any country on the planet, along with some of the world's greatest and most influential contributions to world culture doesn't interest you in the slightest?

Old 12-03-2017, 06:04 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,537,297 times
I don't think there's a place on this planet that I would say that I NEVER want to visit. Given the current regime, North Korea is probably a place I wouldn't want to visit now, but who knows in 10 years.

I have 6 US states left to visit, so those are on my list. I haven't been to Antarctica. There's quite a bit of Africa and Asia I haven't seen yet either.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 PM

1,212 posts, read 813,450 times
Quote:
Is there somewhere in the world you purposely avoid ... never wish to visit ... or just have no interest in?
Explain if you wish.

Mine:

Asia. I never never never want to go to to Asia. I know ... never say never. But I've always said never about Asia. It just scares me, and I'm not adventurous enough to go quite so far out of my comfort zone. My daughter may be moving to Indonesia. I'll never see her again! But seriously, my reasons ....

1. Virtually zero interest in seeing any of it
2. The flight to get there is enormously long
3. The climate
4. I can't speak the languages so I'm useless there ... which I'm really ok with.
5. The food. I am absolutely terrified and phobic about germs / getting sick / food poisoning. The only thing worse than vomiting ... is vomiting in Asia (street food sitting out for hours, flies)
6. Dengue fever, malaria, cholera, parasites, dysentery
7. Crowding
8. Traffic
9. Smells
10. The bathrooms (in China I heard about holes in floor, no privacy, no water to wash hands, no TP provided)

Caveat: Japan is beautiful and gracious ... amazing bathrooms! Some of these things may not apply to Japan ... but it's still such a long plane ride, which just isn't my thing.

Have you been to Asia? What was your experience? Is my terror unfounded?

I also never want to go to Russia, mostly because it simply doesn't interest me.
Just now saw this so you may have already been. My dd and her family lived in Jakarta Indonesia for two years due to her husband's job. Jakarta is crowded but modern and they have a lot of American restaurant chains like outback steakhouse and Tony romas, burger king, McDonald's, kfc, Wendy's and even Krispy creme. I really enjoyed the Indonesian food, but I would stay away from the street food and don't drink any water that isn't out of a sealed bottle.

The malls and restaurants I've been to had western bathrooms and were pretty clean.

Last edited by tottsieanna; 12-05-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 09:17 PM

1,212 posts, read 813,450 times
Quote:
Thank you for your insight! I've heard wonderful things about Singapore, that it is truly world class in every way. *Maybe* I would be willing to give that a chance ... though I understand it to be unbelievably hot and humid. I think my daughter will elect to have her babies in Singapore, rather than Indonesia.
Singapore is clean and great hospitals too. My daughter had her baby by c section in Jakarta, the hospital was clean and she had a very good doctor that all the expats she knew recommended.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:15 AM

611 posts, read 333,875 times
Utah

Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 PM

285 posts, read 297,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Utah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or