U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 485,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
In the U.S.: Las Vegas and New Orleans. I like New Orleans's history and architecture, but the rest of it I don't like at all. Las Vegas, no interest in that type of tourism.
Vegas wasnít my cup of tea either, though Iím glad I went once.

NOLA has plenty of drinking and silly partying, but itís mostly confined to Bourbon Street, which can be avoided easily enough. The food there is world class, though ó for me itís one of the few true food destinations in the US. And it does have some top flight museums, particularly the New Orleans Museum of Art (which is arguably the best such museum in the South), the WW2 Museum, and the Cabildo (NOLAís local history museum).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 AM

6,022 posts, read 2,926,686 times
Quote:
Anywhere in the Middle East except Israel. Just too dangerous.
So you'd go to say Yemen, but not Israel?

Don't get me wrong I wasn't a big fan of Israel's value as a tourist destination but Israel gets a ton of tourists, 2-3 getting killed per year by wackos puts odds at quite favorable.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:11 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,657,559 times
Israel is now off my list after reading about the crazy security procedures at their airports. Too stressful for me.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:06 AM

1,528 posts, read 917,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

No wonder so many Americans don't even have a passport, because the rest of the world is just so SCARY, from food, to air, to the crowd to bathrooms!
Ah, the old 'Americans don't have passports chestnut'. Ok, i'll bite.

About 1/3 of Americans have passports which is pretty high considering that you really don't HAVE to leave to have just about any kind of vacation. Many of the 1/3 travel overseas because they WANT to go to another country simply because it is another country and another culture.

In contrast, for example, in the UK, almost everyone has a passport but outside of the more educated and higher classes, the average person uses their passport just to go on vacations in places that are cheaper and warmer than home. Often visiting beach resort enclaves in places like Portugal and Spain that were built entirely for Britons - complete with British and Irish bars, fish and chips, bangers and mash, etc. Or depending on the perceived level of safety and costs, will venture to all inclusive resorts in places like Turkey or Egypt. Not much different than how many americans go to florida simply for vacation for a sunny place to relax. Nothing wrong with that and no snobbery implied but your average family likes to vacation where they can lie a towel down on the beach, where their kids can swim and have fun, where they can keep to their budget, and where the adults can relax and have a drink while listening to a cover band. Americans do this in the US and people in the UK go to Spain or Portugal to do this because it's cheaper and warmer there and there are bigger and better all inclusive type resorts. Not sure what you think this says about anything.

The vacation industry, market and consumer preferences are very different all around the world so it's ridiculous to use a single metric like percentage of people with passports as an indication of people's travel behavior or how open they are to other cultures. Likewise, it's odd to assume that the 2/3 without passports don't leave the country because they are all scared to do so. That might suit your agenda and be aligned with your daily 'teachings' but I don't think it's aligned very well with reality.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:56 AM

4,516 posts, read 1,722,181 times
There is no such place, among places Ive never been, but there are places Ive been that I would avoid going back to (Cairo, Guatemala City, Switzerland).

I went to Somalia last year, so I guess I'm game to go just about anywhere. The only reason I didn't try to go to Yemen was because transportation is so badly disrupted, I was afraid I might not be able to bet a boat back out.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 AM

6,979 posts, read 12,519,934 times
I have absolutely no desire to ever visit Florida again. That is once I'm able to move out of the state.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:06 PM

16,045 posts, read 6,320,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have absolutely no desire to ever visit Florida again. That is once I'm able to move out of the state.
Isn't Florida where bad people go after they die?

Old 12-17-2017, 02:10 PM

2,936 posts, read 1,604,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Isn't Florida where bad people go after they die?
Florida: "God's Waiting Room"

Old 12-17-2017, 02:27 PM

15,422 posts, read 19,214,152 times
Quote:
In the U.S.: Las Vegas and New Orleans. I like New Orleans's history and architecture, but the rest of it I don't like at all. Las Vegas, no interest in that type of tourism.

Internationally: Anywhere in the Middle East except Israel. Just too dangerous. Scandinavian countries. I would love to visit, but they're excruciatingly expensive.
I wish I’d never gone to Las Vegas as an adult, but had to for work. NO is high on my list to go to soon.

Most countries in the ME are not dangerous. That’s a very American misconception. UAE is safer than many places in America.

Probably won’t go to every state in the country unless for work. Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, North Dakota are low on list.

I wouldn’t go to the tropical South Pacific islands. Not remarkably better than my Carribean favorites to justify the flight. At that point I’d rather do something more cultural like Japan, Thailand, or Vietnam.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:30 PM

15,422 posts, read 19,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There is no such place, among places Ive never been, but there are places Ive been that I would avoid going back to (Cairo, Guatemala City, Switzerland).

I went to Somalia last year, so I guess I'm game to go just about anywhere. The only reason I didn't try to go to Yemen was because transportation is so badly disrupted, I was afraid I might not be able to bet a boat back out.
Why would you avoid Switzerland? I couldnít get enough of it and canít wait to return to explore more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or