U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 08:55 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times

Advertisements

Disney. Any of them. It's my nightmare.

I'm thankful my then 5 and 6 year olds chose NYC when we asked them where they wanted to go for Spring Break even in a moment of weakness when we offered to take them to Disneyworld.

That is literally the only place I can think of that is off limits. Topping my list of wants at the moment are Jordan, Brazil and Cambodia.

I'd rather not take a cruise or be stuck in an all-inclusive resort but I won't go as far as to say I'll never do it. It's highly unlikely though.

Oh, I forgot the big one. Any vacation where my MIL is. She tries to plan group vacations all the time and I.will.not.go.

My husband and I's plan for our end of life is to just wander the world. Hopefully together but if one of us has passed, alone. I intend to keel over in some strange place where no one knows me.

Last edited by Vegabern; 12-29-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 09:25 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayna2 View Post
for the winter season, i never wanna go to Wisconsin because the weather is very dangerous there.
What?

Is this what you had planned?

https://imgur.com/gallery/wR5F2

You don't have to do that, ya know.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 AM

3,274 posts, read 3,694,831 times
The United States.
North Korea
Most of the Middle East

I have been to the U.S a few times, but with the Gestapo (i.e. US CBP) now manning the border and being jerks, I have no wish to visit anymore. I also had to deal with random Yanks assuming I was a Muslim and giving me dirty looks (even though I'm not a Muslim, lol).

Old 01-01-2018, 06:49 AM

7,654 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
In the U.S.: Las Vegas and New Orleans. I like New Orleans's history and architecture, but the rest of it I don't like at all. Las Vegas, no interest in that type of tourism.
I visit Las Vegas once or twice a year. I don't gamble. We go to shows like Penn & Teller, shop, eat out a lot.

I like LV because I know which places are good to stay at and which to avoid. Plus, on our last trip we drove out to Lake Las Vegas, which is this massive manmade lake with luxury homes, a hotel and a village. I would love to have a lakefront home there.

New Orleans, on the other hand, will never see me again. Too much crime personally directed at me. Our room was broken into on one trip. On the same trip, a mugger tried to snatch my purse. N.O. also has some of the rudest locals I've encountered anywhere.

Quote:
Internationally: Anywhere in the Middle East except Israel. Just too dangerous.
I don't get the sense that Israel is any more dangerous than New York City.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:04 PM

12 posts, read 5,086 times
Well, due to financial and other considerations, I don't expect to ever travel anywhere except North America and Europe, so I limit my thoughts to those two continents.

I live at approximately the 42nd parallel, and dislike extreme heat/humidity and exotic bugs, so I doubt I'll spend much time anyplace south of my current latitude.

Places I'd love to see include the Pacific Coast, the Cascades, Alaska, Maine, and Vermont. I'd also love to see Finland and Norway someday.

I'll be traveling to the Netherlands soon and will also see Belgium and Germany. I'm really looking forward to that!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:48 AM

5,940 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I have been to the U.S a few times, but with the Gestapo (i.e. US CBP) now manning the border and being jerks, I have no wish to visit anymore. I also had to deal with random Yanks assuming I was a Muslim and giving me dirty looks (even though I'm not a Muslim, lol).
Sounds like you've got a serious persecution complex going, that must suck.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:52 PM

1,528 posts, read 905,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
The United States.
I have been to the U.S a few times, but with the Gestapo (i.e. US CBP) now manning the border and being jerks, I have no wish to visit anymore. ....
I guess there are different kinds of travelers. With respect, it's pretty 'lightweight' to avoid any country just because its border process is not as slick as you would like. My list of visited countries would be much shorter (and my travel experience much poorer) if I avoided countries with more difficult entry processes.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:33 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Branson

Old 01-03-2018, 10:38 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Is there somewhere in the world you purposely avoid ... never wish to visit ... or just have no interest in?
Explain if you wish.

Mine:

Asia. I never never never want to go to to Asia. I know ... never say never. But I've always said never about Asia. It just scares me, and I'm not adventurous enough to go quite so far out of my comfort zone. My daughter may be moving to Indonesia. I'll never see her again! But seriously, my reasons ....

1. Virtually zero interest in seeing any of it
2. The flight to get there is enormously long
3. The climate
4. I can't speak the languages so I'm useless there ... which I'm really ok with.
5. The food. I am absolutely terrified and phobic about germs / getting sick / food poisoning. The only thing worse than vomiting ... is vomiting in Asia (street food sitting out for hours, flies)
6. Dengue fever, malaria, cholera, parasites, dysentery
7. Crowding
8. Traffic
9. Smells
10. The bathrooms (in China I heard about holes in floor, no privacy, no water to wash hands, no TP provided)

Caveat: Japan is beautiful and gracious ... amazing bathrooms! Some of these things may not apply to Japan ... but it's still such a long plane ride, which just isn't my thing.

Have you been to Asia? What was your experience? Is my terror unfounded?

I also never want to go to Russia, mostly because it simply doesn't interest me.

Pretty much China. I feel no connection to it in any way. The fact that animals are treated as they are, and there are no cruelty laws, sickens me.

I'd add the Koreas to that list.

Eastern Europe fascinates me. I have been to Ukraine and Russia. However, I do not think I'd go right now.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:16 AM

3,274 posts, read 3,694,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Sounds like you've got a serious persecution complex going, that must suck.
I observe and notice what goes on around me. That is not a "persecution complex". Looks like you're oblivious to the world around you - that must suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or