U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Status: "J'aime les gens bons et les jambons" (set 3 days ago)

1,814 posts, read 917,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
For me, India conjures up images of sweltering heat, dirty water, cow poop, e-coli, body smells, and curry that tastes amazing ... until you get Delhi belly or worse.

Am I wrong?

Will be back later to rep everyone... I've given out too many in 24 hrs
That's more or less what I think :] I'm probably biased tho!

See the Nanda Devi or the Kanchangjunga IRL must be something... But I would rather go in China to observe these giants, idk why... Im not sure it's better there lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:20 AM

629 posts, read 495,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
WELL.. since I have zero likelihood of traveling off North American Continent... I guess whats left is.. I have ZERO interest in even crossing the border ( about 75 miles from my home) as I fear that there's enough HATE FILLED people who somehow attack you or take advantage of you or worse.. Put you in some awkward position!!
Believe me I'm no fan of the "alt right," but I assure you that there are many, many, beautiful and culturally/historically significant places that are well worth visiting in the United States. And the hate mongers are a tiny fraction of the population and should not deter you from visiting. I am from a "blue" state and absolutely love visiting many "red" states as well as purple ones; and if I stayed away from every place that has people that I disagree with, I wouldn't go anywhere.

Do I agree with everything that the Turkish government does? Hell no. But I had a fabulous trip to Istanbul and would go back in a heartbeat. Do I like the tradition of bull fighting? No way, but Portugal and Spain are two of my favorite places. Did I vote for President Trump? No, but I'm very, very excited to be visiting Arizona and Utah next year, and I had a great time in Texas earlier this year. Open your eyes, man, and get out there to travel. The whole point is being exposed to different people and places.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:34 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,673,850 times
Quote:
Several likeminded people here not wanting to visit Asia. I'm waiting for someone to tell me how AMAZING it is and change my mind!
I visited South Korea this summer, my first time anywhere in Asia, and I LOVED it! Seoul is modern, easy to navigate, spotlessly clean, felt very safe, and English signage is everywhere. (Indeed, nearly all of the country's road signs are bilingual English and Korean.) Ditto for Busan, except that English is slightly less prevalent there. But even so, lots of people in both places spoke at least passable English. That, plus the 10 or so Korean words I know, got me through. I didn't notice any particularly unpleasant smells, other than in a couple of the Korean restaurants that I patronized. I barely scratched the surface of what I wanted to see there. And I found the people to be very polite and generally quite nice; I made a couple of new friends that I'm still in contact with. It wasn't perfect, of course; I'm not a huge fan of most Korean food, and the place was miserably hot and humid. (At least I barely missed the monsoon rains!) But even so, I would go back there in a heartbeat -- even with the miserable 14-hour plane flight from the U.S. east coast.

Quote:
For me, India conjures up images of sweltering heat, dirty water, cow poop, e-coli, body smells, and curry that tastes amazing ... until you get Delhi belly or worse.
That's my impression of India too, except that I don't like curry. I have no desire whatsoever to step foot in India. The only thing there that I have even the slightest desire to see is the Taj Mahal, but I've already decided that looking at photographs will have to suffice.

To answer the original question, I have no interest in any of the following countries:

- Any place with a particularly high rate of crime, such as most African and Central American countries and Caribbean islands.

- Any place that's Third World in terms of infrastructure or social systems (e.g. you have to bribe everyone to get anything done) or sanitation or general development.

- Any place that's majority Muslim, with the possible exception of Malaysia. Sorry if I offend anyone with that comment, but evangelical Christians such as myself are not known for being welcomed with open arms in most Muslim-majority countries. I won't go to any place where I'm not free to worship as I choose. I must admit that Dubai looks very interesting, but there's that no-freedom-of-worship thing to keep me away.

- Any place that's too hot or humid, at the time of the visit. (Oops, what was I doing in South Korea then? I should have gone there in the fall!)

- Any place that's been overrun by Muslim migrants, i.e. much of Western Europe. It's a great shame, because I've been to France and loved it, and would love to see other parts of that region. But not anymore.

As far as places outside the U.S. that I haven't been to but would like to go, Japan tops the list for me.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM

4,045 posts, read 3,280,937 times
Sure: the continent of Europe.

I don't "hate" or even dislike it, but...the Western Countries are mostly expensive, at this time, especially Italy, Germany, and France. Spain, maybe not. Portugal, something of a bargain.

Eastern Europe, maybe, to meet Polish and Czech women if nothing else. Love 'em, here in the U.S.

Why go to either when South Africa is 50 cents on the dollar due to weak Rand, at this writing? Far East is...farther East, but at least rather exotic.

South America is a black box to me. May get there to do some riding in a couple years, I think that's what my 50s are for.

That is all. I've been a few places outside CONUS, not tons other than UK/Ireland which barely counts for Americans. Things only start getting really interesting in the Third World, in my observation.

Oh, PS: Could have stood to not see India, it's dirty and crowded from one perspective, but once there and time to get used to it (couple weeks), sort of grows on you. I'd love to spend a month bumming around there on the cheap, and if fortune wills it once I'm 60, I surely will. Travel light, one end to the other, they're a friendly folk by and large to White males, telling it plain. Hope I love to hike when I'm 60, lots to-do at that point without going First Class uh, anywhere: leather pack, brown fedora, "will travel."

Old 08-30-2017, 01:14 PM

88 posts, read 37,402 times
I have no interest in visiting Yemen, Oman, North Korea, and probably North Africa. I've already experienced Tunisia there, and experienced Somalia, UAE, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Russia I'd visit again.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,982,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Italy has the most refugees by far cos its nearest to Libya where theyre all leaving from now the Turkey route isnt so easy.Spain has lots too, as does Britain.

You also missed out Wales,lovely little place with a culture all of its own.
I recently heard that about Italy. I would also consider Wales.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:59 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,982,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
being from NY... I'm sure you are aware the USA had quite a refugee problem at (many) times...(since the late 1500's...)
as of 10 yrs ago... Total all countries= 38,290,443
https://www.infoplease.com/us/race-p...country-origin
"Year in Review, 2016" Infoplease.
2000-2017 Sandbox Networks, Inc., publishing as Infoplease.
It is estimated that as many as 4.5 million Irish arrived in America between 1820 and 1930. Between 1820 and 1860, the Irish constituted over one third of all immigrants to the United States. In the 1840s, they comprised nearly half of all immigrants to this nation.
I wasn't around in those days to experience that. What does it have to do with me? I'd like to avoid getting killed by an islamist who is stuck in the year 600.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM

88 posts, read 37,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I wasn't around in those days to experience that. What does it have to do with me? I'd like to avoid getting killed by an islamist who is stuck in the year 600.

Precisely. I'm often amused by people who bring up the crimes of our ancestors to a contemporary topic.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 PM

14,025 posts, read 7,477,867 times
My "no go" list is all about personal safety. Afghanistan? Nope. I'd love to go to Egypt but not in 2017. Baghdad? No chance.

I'd rather not go to high poverty rate places. Much of Sub-Sahara Africa. Haiti. Parts of India.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:51 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,265,824 times
Nope. Can't think of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or