U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:56 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,443,964 times

Advertisements

Not really into the idea of Saudi Arabia or North Korea. Not Venezuela at the moment. Not Syria. Not Iraq (though that's a place I really would like to see one day).

Of course, I'm basing this all on how *I* travel, which is usually either alone or with my SO. If I was part of some sort of relief effort, or like, a Bourdain TV show, I might feel differently.

Can't say I ever want to visit Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 04:59 PM

6,252 posts, read 2,898,039 times
Poland,Soviet,Alaska,middle East,Thailand, Philippines,China,turkey,
Any desert ridden or ice riddled land.

Minus Iceland...Went there for a most visually spectacular fire and ice celebration. But left after two days... we were delayed there by accident..Our plane was unsafe ...So we were put up at a chalet til rebooking could be established.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:26 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,758,607 times
India
Is India Really ‘Winning Its War’ on Open Defecation? | The Diplomat

Old 08-30-2017, 06:35 PM

1,494 posts, read 418,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We've been to Asia, including Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Borneo. I LOVED it and would go back again in a second.

I went to China about 30 years ago, and would return with my husband if the smog weren't such a problem for him

I went to Russia about 29 years ago, just after the government fell. If somebody paid me, I MIGHT go back.

We lived part time in Mexico for two years. Plenty of food to worry about there.

Never go to? Hmm, I've got a fairly long list of places I've been and won't return (either because I disliked them, or for sentimental reasons where the first trip can't possibly be topped.) But as far as never:

Disneyworld
Anyplace where I'm expected to go skiing.
Israel (just not interested)
Most of the Middle East (although we did go to Dubai and it was pretty cool.)
Detroit
The Bronx
It saddens me that travelers dismiss Detroit. Pure Michigan.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:44 PM

36 posts, read 17,017 times
Detroit has the Detroit Art Institute, the Detroit Historical Museum, Belle Isle, Greenfield Village and the Ford Museum (Dearborn), the Detroit Zoo (Royal Oak) among many other world-class attractions. The Detroit suburbs are among the most prosperous in the country. It is an awesome area to visit!

Also visited Italy and Alaska on cruises. Fabulous to see the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican, the Colosseum and Pisa. Food was delicious. Alaskan glaciers and scenery was just beautiful

Last edited by Gary Wardall; 08-30-2017 at 06:55 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 07:21 PM

1,256 posts, read 544,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
That article did absolutely nothing to change my mind about India ... but I could have lived the rest of my life never knowing that about them. Ok, where's the bleach?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 670,544 times
I have always liked to travel but long flights have become uncomfortable and two weeks is about my limit anywhere. I have come to appreciate the beauty of the USA much more over the years. I don't enjoy crowded areas and have become much pickier over the years.

For various safety reasons or lack of interest, at this time I would not go to:

Afghanistan
Middle East, including Israel
South America, especially Brazil and Venezuela
Haiti
Mexico (enjoyed it years ago)
North Korea and most of Asia, except Japan
Puerto Rico
Belize and most of Central America
Egypt and the rest of Africa
Russia (won't give them my $$)
Los Angeles
Las Vegas

List of places I would like to visit or revisit:

Almost anywhere in Europe (been many times)
Australia
New Zealand
Tahiti, Bora Bora
Alaska
Canadian Rockies

Old 08-30-2017, 10:24 PM

3,642 posts, read 1,571,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Is there somewhere in the world you purposely avoid ... never wish to visit ... or just have no interest in?
Explain if you wish.

Mine:

Asia. I never never never want to go to to Asia. I know ... never say never. But I've always said never about Asia. It just scares me, and I'm not adventurous enough to go quite so far out of my comfort zone. My daughter may be moving to Indonesia. I'll never see her again! But seriously, my reasons ....

1. Virtually zero interest in seeing any of it
2. The flight to get there is enormously long
3. The climate
4. I can't speak the languages so I'm useless there ... which I'm really ok with.
5. The food. I am absolutely terrified and phobic about germs / getting sick / food poisoning. The only thing worse than vomiting ... is vomiting in Asia (street food sitting out for hours, flies)
6. Dengue fever, malaria, cholera, parasites, dysentery
7. Crowding
8. Traffic
9. Smells
10. The bathrooms (in China I heard about holes in floor, no privacy, no water to wash hands, no TP provided)

Caveat: Japan is beautiful and gracious ... amazing bathrooms! Some of these things may not apply to Japan ... but it's still such a long plane ride, which just isn't my thing.

Have you been to Asia? What was your experience? Is my terror unfounded?

I also never want to go to Russia, mostly because it simply doesn't interest me.
More than 1/3rd of the world population lives or thrives in 2 countries - India and China. Not all of them are vomitting on the streets or serial poopers.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:42 PM

88 posts, read 37,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
WELL.. since I have zero likelihood of traveling off North American Continent... I guess whats left is.. I have ZERO interest in even crossing the border ( about 75 miles from my home) as I fear that there's enough HATE FILLED people who somehow attack you or take advantage of you or worse.. Put you in some awkward position!!

The unhinged 25% folks have been embolden.. They get to bully ( even their POTUS Bullies) anyone who they deem unacceptable!! Open Carry and even Police will ask for papers and throw you in jail... ohhh wait!! I'm WHITE ( there by the Grace of GOD) so no doubt will be overlooked.. HOWEVER I also SEE how non-whites get treated! For every one BAD actor there are many thousands that aren't YET get treated similarly!

Can you IMAGINE if every WHITE PERSON got treated ( painted) like that MASS murderer.. or Some nasty WHITE Thug who offed co-workers after massacring his family or attacking some lawyer at a courthouse then killing whomever exited that courthouse!! How about Dylann Roof.. White guy walks into a black church.. mass kills 9 people who opened their doors to him.. and left ONE living to explain his mission!!

SHOULD America PAINT ALL WHITE people as Racists/Murders/Thugs??? Of course NOT!! That's //the difference in what ALT-RIGHT does/promote and politicians change laws to disenfranchise those "Lazy Black Folk" and make those Black/Immigrants PROVE with ID's that cannot obtain?? It's disgusting!!

Anyway, I have ZERO interest of even venturing about 75 miles to the border between US and Canada ever again!! You can Thank Trump for so much division BUT have to say.. GOP Politicians ( 2008-9) started this downward spiral once BO took office!!

I think you felt that way long before Trump, judging by other posts of yours. Whenever there's a Reagan, GW Bush, or a Trump, anti-Americanism flares; whenever there's a Clinton or an Obama, it recedes a bit, yet it's always there. Besides Canadians and US people are almost the same thing.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:55 PM

3,860 posts, read 3,528,550 times
India&Vietnam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or