U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 09:45 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,639,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
China, Korea and India will never see me!

Just from an environmental perspective I would not want to visit.
Environmental perspective, Korea? I understand that China and India are facing extreme pollution at some places, but Korea is another story. Even though they are getting a lot of garabge via sea and air from China these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:56 AM

664 posts, read 585,635 times
Anywhere a nuclear bomb would land. Don't want to be there. I don't like cold weather, so countries like Finland, Sweden, Russia, Iceland-anywhere near the poles are out for me.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:26 AM

418 posts, read 250,269 times
I used to want to go everywhere. Now as I get older I'd say most third world places are off the list. As well as India and China. I'm not looking for adventure anymore, more relaxation.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:10 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,048,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
LOL awesome. I wouldn't attend a Trump Rally either. For totally unrelated reasons, I also have no interest in visiting:

-Flyover states such as Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Indiana, etc. Seem too flat and uninteresting to me and I'd much rather continue to visit the western third of the nation, which is gorgeous.

-Very materialistic/superficial places like Ibiza or Dubai.

-Dangerous places such as North Korea, El Salvador or many parts of the Middle East (absolutely loved visiting Istanbul though, which is not dangerous).

-Any type of all inclusive Caribbean/Mexican resort or Caribbean cruise where you learn nothing about foreign culture and sit around (over)eating Americanized foods. (Very interested in Mexico to see Mayan pyramids however).
My honeymoon was in the Dominican Republic (La Romana) at an all inclusive resort but we took a safari to various local spots outside of the hotel:

- Walked through the main part of town to an historic church
- Toured a sugar cane plantation and how they harvest it
- Visited a local who showed us how they harvest bananas and harvest and roast coffee beans
- Visited a farmer and got to ride his horses.
- Went on a small hike in the mountains to get to a gathering spot to eat lunch. Gorgeous views.

It was awesome. Educational, fun, and something different (at least for my wife and I) We felt completely safe the whole time

Old 08-31-2017, 05:31 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,119,658 times
On a cruise ship, anywhere.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 3,895,824 times
Asia. I'm not very interested in the Asian cultures or the food. Also wouldn't go back to Egypt or Turkey due to the filthy "hole in the floor" ladies restrooms in some places. But count me in for just about any place else!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:01 PM

1,256 posts, read 544,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Asia. I'm not very interested in the Asian cultures or the food. Also wouldn't go back to Egypt or Turkey due to the filthy "hole in the floor" ladies restrooms in some places. But count me in for just about any place else!
Hygiene and cleanliness are so important to me, especially when traveling. I don't want to spend a fortune to take a trip only to end up getting sick because of other people's lack of cleanliness. Blech. I'd rather stay home!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 PM

1,152 posts, read 807,525 times
I have no interest in visiting:

- anywhere in Africa, with the possible exception of Morocco.
- PNG, even though I find it fascinating
- Israel, or anywhere else in the Middle East
- Haiti or Dominican Republic
- India
- most of Asia
- Belize
- Venezuela
- Cuba

Old 09-01-2017, 05:42 AM

629 posts, read 495,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
My honeymoon was in the Dominican Republic (La Romana) at an all inclusive resort but we took a safari to various local spots outside of the hotel:

- Walked through the main part of town to an historic church
- Toured a sugar cane plantation and how they harvest it
- Visited a local who showed us how they harvest bananas and harvest and roast coffee beans
- Visited a farmer and got to ride his horses.
- Went on a small hike in the mountains to get to a gathering spot to eat lunch. Gorgeous views.

It was awesome. Educational, fun, and something different (at least for my wife and I) We felt completely safe the whole time
That sounds fantastic and up my alley too! But most people who do all inclusive resorts do not seek out these kind of experiences, and end up basically sitting on a beach all day, learning absolutely nothing, and then come home and talk about the buffets and free drink refills. That's not my idea of a vacation at all, but it sounds like you and your wife had an entirely different experience, which is awesome.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:50 AM

16,024 posts, read 6,308,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
That sounds fantastic and up my alley too! But most people who do all inclusive resorts do not seek out these kind of experiences, and end up basically sitting on a beach all day, learning absolutely nothing, and then come home and talk about the buffets and free drink refills. That's not my idea of a vacation at all, but it sounds like you and your wife had an entirely different experience, which is awesome.
I don't know. In 1989 and 1990 I went to Club Med Cancun. In October 1989 I took the excursion to Chichen Itza. In March 1990 I took excursions to Cozumel, and one to both Merida and Uxmal, another set of pyramids. In 1988 a friend of mine and I rented a scooter and toured Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or