Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 07:36 AM

984 posts, read 1,003,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know. In 1989 and 1990 I went to Club Med Cancun. In October 1989 I took the excursion to Chichen Itza. In March 1990 I took excursions to Cozumel, and one to both Merida and Uxmal, another set of pyramids. In 1988 a friend of mine and I rented a scooter and toured Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos.
Yes, but the kind of people who read and post on travel message boards (like you, the poster re: the Dominican Republic, and me) are not the average people who go to all inclusive resorts and either rarely or never leave the resort. Much stronger sense of wanderlust/adventure among this group than the population generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 AM

16,357 posts, read 10,372,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Hygiene and cleanliness are so important to me, especially when traveling. I don't want to spend a fortune to take a trip only to end up getting sick because of other people's lack of cleanliness. Blech. I'd rather stay home!

Having spent a week in Seoul just two months ago, I can categorically assure you that they have mastered the art of indoor plumbing.

Obviously, your reasons for not wanting to visit Asia are your own, and that's fine. But it seems that you have a set of preconceived notions that, at least in the case of South Korea, are not accurate.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:17 AM

1,257 posts, read 882,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Having spent a week in Seoul just two months ago, I can categorically assure you that they have mastered the art of indoor plumbing.

Obviously, your reasons for not wanting to visit Asia are your own, and that's fine. But it seems that you have a set of preconceived notions that, at least in the case of South Korea, are not accurate.
South Korea has never even entered my mind, other than feeling sorry that they have to put up with NOKO.

My opinion is based on anything I have ever seen, read and heard (oftentimes first hand) about China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Hong Kong, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Taiwan, Cambodia, Nepal, Laos, Mongolia, any of the "Stans" and war zones ... and all of the Middle East. If SOKO was offended by my fear and loathing of dirty places, I apologize.

A glass bottom bungalow hut in the Maldives would be amazing!!! But there's still that exhausting flight to get there .... sorry, Asia.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,022,303 times
I could list a bunch of places that really aren't popular destinations for most people but instead I'll list my one clear 'not unless there's a gun to my head'...anything Disney. In fact if there was a gun to my head I'd beg that the trigger be pulled.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:48 AM

307 posts, read 680,626 times
I love visiting different places. The only places I have no interest of seeing are war torn countries.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
South Korea has never even entered my mind, other than feeling sorry that they have to put up with NOKO.

My opinion is based on anything I have ever seen, read and heard (oftentimes first hand) about China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Hong Kong, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Taiwan, Cambodia, Nepal, Laos, Mongolia, any of the "Stans" and war zones ... and all of the Middle East. If SOKO was offended by my fear and loathing of dirty places, I apologize.

A glass bottom bungalow hut in the Maldives would be amazing!!! But there's still that exhausting flight to get there .... sorry, Asia.
better tweak your perceptions a tad. (of course you are not going, BUT, then do not dis those who live there or are headed there, or the millions in USA who have relatives there.)

You will get scolded for not taking off your shoes BEFORE entering the crystal Clean Hotel rooms in many of those countries. Yup there is some grime, but unless you are living with the locals, you will see little of the bad stuff and be catered to like royalty. (As a US 'PAYING' tourist). The Locals in many of the above actually have some very clean and sanitary homes. Many don't, (cardboard boxes as homes). They are not too bad, considering their situation.

Dominican Republic... it amazes me how all the people have VERY WHITE shirts and blouses, and they wash them in the red / mucky bay! They know a LOT of secrets that we do not! I luv learning from nationals, and enjoying time with them, even if it is not 'comfortable' / cushy.

A friend of ours spent 4 yrs in Mongolia with his young family (Kids under age 6). They were well cared for, and loved it.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
better tweak your perceptions a tad. (of course you are not going, BUT, then do not dis those who live there or are headed there, or the millions in USA who have relatives there.)

You will get scolded for not taking off your shoes BEFORE entering the crystal Clean Hotel rooms in many of those countries. Yup there is some grime, but unless you are living with the locals, you will see little of the bad stuff and be catered to like royalty. (As a US 'PAYING' tourist). The Locals in many of the above actually have some very clean and sanitary homes. Many don't, (cardboard boxes as homes). They are not too bad, considering their situation.

Dominican Republic... it amazes me how all the people have VERY WHITE shirts and blouses, and they wash them in the red / mucky bay! They know a LOT of secrets that we do not! I luv learning from nationals, and enjoying time with them, even if it is not 'comfortable' / cushy.

A friend of ours spent 4 yrs in Mongolia with his young family (Kids under age 6). They were well cared for, and loved it.
Street food, dirty restaurants, bad water leads to cholera / ecoli / hepatitis, unsanitary public bathrooms (very public in India's case), unsanitary cooking conditions, bad meat, durian smells, leprosy in Thailand, dengue fever in Indonesia, scary hospitals in Laos. These are things I've heard about from those who live or have visited there. We get monthly updates from our missionary friends around the world: Mongolia, China, Laos, Dominican Republic, Thailand...just to name a few.

One of our good friends is dying right now (he is 35) from Japanese Encephalitis he contracted from parasites in food or water while in the Philippines, there is no cure.

One of my best friends lived in the Philippines for 10 years.

Another of our friends lives in an apartment in Shanghai... their ONE apartment building houses 1,000,000 (ONE MILLION) people. How can that be sanitary?

I have no doubt that the people are beautiful and fascinating (if I could speak their language), truly. I'm only saying that they are accustomed to certain germs and bacteria that we are not. Hey, American's are filthy, too! But I'm used to the bacteria here. IF I ever traveled to Asia, I would fly first class so I could lay down. I'd stay in a luxurious five star hotel. And I'd still be very nervous about eating. I'm even super careful about it here in the states. Not getting sick is just my personal preference ... if it makes me less than adventurous, so be it.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 09-01-2017 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 20 days ago)

34,509 posts, read 16,599,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Quote:
I don't know. In 1989 and 1990 I went to Club Med Cancun. In October 1989 I took the excursion to Chichen Itza. In March 1990 I took excursions to Cozumel, and one to both Merida and Uxmal, another set of pyramids. In 1988 a friend of mine and I rented a scooter and toured Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos.
Yes, but the kind of people who read and post on travel message boards (like you, the poster re: the Dominican Republic, and me) are not the average people who go to all inclusive resorts and either rarely or never leave the resort. Much stronger sense of wanderlust/adventure among this group than the population generally.
Why would that be the case? Just curious.

And as to your earlier post, I do see your point.I have been to a limited number of foreign countries, those being Canada, Mexico, British Virgin Islands (on a day cruise during my honeymoon on St. John, USVI) Barbados, St. Lucia and Portugal. Aside from St. Lucia, I managed to educate myself about all of those places, and still surprise people with my even limited knowledge. I respond "I was awake when I visited those lands." Some people, I guess, are just not very curious or flat out not very bright.

When I was driving to Quebec with one of my off-the-charts bright friends (IQ probably about 170 or so compared to my IQ of 79) I joked "isn't Canada just a northern extension of the U.S.?" He got upset with me because he thought I wasn't curious or interested and he was taking me the trouble of showing the place to me. In fact I already had been to Canada about two and a half times (long story on the two visits making up the half) and was quite knowledgeable.

Last edited by jbgusa; 09-01-2017 at 08:22 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 20 days ago)

34,509 posts, read 16,599,025 times
Quote:
NOKO is arguably more progressive since the South is just a republic whereas the North is a people's democratic republic. That means to me that its government really cares about its people.

Quote:
What about Israel? Is it filthy?

Old 09-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
NOKO is arguably more progressive since the South is just a republic whereas the North is a people's democratic republic. That means to me that its government really cares about its people.

What about Israel? Is it filthy?
I'm not sure. We do have friends there and they love it, but they haven't talked much about living conditions. I am under the impression that the Jewish tradition requires keeping things very clean and kosher. But do they have clean water and good sanitation in the cities? There is a lot of conflict in Israel, so it's not on my list. It is beautiful, though ... and I love the Jewish people and Israel as a whole.

My post that you quoted, referencing the "stan" countries, war zones and all of the Middle East... that just means I've ruled out visiting there. Not only for hygiene reasons, but political unrest, the time it takes to get there, and my general lack of interest in Asia as a whole. My original post at the beginning of this thread explains my reasons for not wanting to travel to Asia. It's not exclusively hygiene, although that does apply to certain countries. We had wonderful friends in Japan (they live in Alaska now) who kept trying to get us to visit ...they actually wanted us to move there. Japan is BEAUTIFUL! The people are lovely. It is a clean country. But a plane ride takes forever, and living there would never work for me because of tsunamis... I'm TERRIFIED of water. But it's a lovely place, nevertheless.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 09-01-2017 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel