U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 AM

1,256 posts, read 541,298 times

Advertisements

Is there somewhere in the world you purposely avoid ... never wish to visit ... or just have no interest in?
Explain if you wish.

Mine:

Asia. I never never never want to go to to Asia. I know ... never say never. But I've always said never about Asia. It just scares me, and I'm not adventurous enough to go quite so far out of my comfort zone. My daughter may be moving to Indonesia. I'll never see her again! But seriously, my reasons ....

1. Virtually zero interest in seeing any of it
2. The flight to get there is enormously long
3. The climate
4. I can't speak the languages so I'm useless there ... which I'm really ok with.
5. The food. I am absolutely terrified and phobic about germs / getting sick / food poisoning. The only thing worse than vomiting ... is vomiting in Asia (street food sitting out for hours, flies)
6. Dengue fever, malaria, cholera, parasites, dysentery
7. Crowding
8. Traffic
9. Smells
10. The bathrooms (in China I heard about holes in floor, no privacy, no water to wash hands, no TP provided)

Caveat: Japan is beautiful and gracious ... amazing bathrooms! Some of these things may not apply to Japan ... but it's still such a long plane ride, which just isn't my thing.

Have you been to Asia? What was your experience? Is my terror unfounded?

I also never want to go to Russia, mostly because it simply doesn't interest me.

Last edited by SouthernProper; 08-29-2017 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,631,596 times
There is no place where I don't want to go, except dangerous places (war, terror, crime).
I am not that into hot places, and not that much into "artificial" places such as Dubai, just skyscrapers in the desert. I am also not really interested in visiting very poor countries that do not have any basic infrastructure and high crime rate in Africa, but I have been to North Korea, Uzbekistan etc. and it was totally safe and fine.

Your idea of Asia is widely unfounded, I think. Asia is not just some slums in the Philippines, but countries such as Japan, Korea or Taiwan.

- Singapore is probably the cleanest place on earth
- Regarding the climate you can have everything from hot and humid to cold and dry.
- Regarding the bathrooms, well, you don't have to take some public bathrooms in the streets of Mumbai. There are excellent hotels with excellent bathrooms all over Asia.
- The food is amazing and diverse. It is not only Thai curry and rice with chicken. There is almost everything.
- You don't need to drive a car in Asia. Public transport is excellent in Tokyo, Seoul, etc.. Traffic doesn't really bother you if you don't drive in downtown Bangkok, Manila or Hanoi by yourself.

The flight is long and exhausting though. But maybe one should save some money to go in business class instead of staying away.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
There is no place where I don't want to go, except dangerous places (war, terror, crime).
I am not that into hot places, and not that much into "artificial" places such as Dubai, just skyscrapers in the desert. I am also not really interested in visiting very poor countries that do not have any basic infrastructure and high crime rate in Africa, but I have been to North Korea, Uzbekistan etc. and it was totally safe and fine.

Your idea of Asia is widely unfounded, I think. Asia is not just some slums in the Philippines, but countries such as Japan, Korea or Taiwan.

- Singapore is probably the cleanest place on earth
- Regarding the climate you can have everything from hot and humid to cold and dry.
- Regarding the bathrooms, well, you don't have to take some public bathrooms in the streets of Mumbai. There are excellent hotels with excellent bathrooms all over Asia.
- The food is amazing and diverse. It is not only Thai curry and rice with chicken. There is almost everything.
- You don't need to drive a car in Asia. Public transport is excellent in Tokyo, Seoul, etc.. Traffic doesn't really bother you if you don't drive in downtown Bangkok, Manila or Hanoi by yourself.

The flight is long and exhausting though. But maybe one should save some money to go in business class instead of staying away.
Thank you for your insight! I've heard wonderful things about Singapore, that it is truly world class in every way. *Maybe* I would be willing to give that a chance ... though I understand it to be unbelievably hot and humid. I think my daughter will elect to have her babies in Singapore, rather than Indonesia.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:39 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,284,814 times
My list of 3 places least interested in visiting:

1. North Korea
2. North Korea
3. Dallas, TX

I'm staying away from Dallas, it is way out of my comfort zone. Hong Kong is pretty nice, mainland China can be difficult for the gwailo when out of the big cities.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:41 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,107,651 times
Dubai.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
My list of 3 places least interested in visiting:

1. North Korea
2. North Korea
3. Dallas, TX

I'm staying away from Dallas, it is way out of my comfort zone. Hong Kong is pretty nice, mainland China can be difficult for the gwailo when out of the big cities.
Dallas is out of your comfort zone? I've never been there.
NOKO is crazy.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
tho only 3 hrs from my TX residence, never been to Houston, never plan to go.

North Korea and Somalia is not on my bucket list, but Myanmar and Kenya are (Unique culture and terrain)

SouthernProper : Singapore smells (like 6m people), you get a strong whiff as you exit the plane. It is no hotter and sweaty than the gulf coast (and much preferred by me). I have commuted to Singapore and other SE Asia destinations for nearly 30 yrs often 1/ month, EZ going westbound / arriving, but coming back east (Home) you may suffer jet lag / sleepless nights. Adapt to the new time zone the minute you set foot there. (home or abroad).

Most places have unique 'redeeming' features that are worth a visit to learn about. I prefer staying / eating / living / working with the locals, rather than touring as a visitor. YMMV.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:58 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
We've been to Asia, including Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Borneo. I LOVED it and would go back again in a second.

I went to China about 30 years ago, and would return with my husband if the smog weren't such a problem for him

I went to Russia about 29 years ago, just after the government fell. If somebody paid me, I MIGHT go back.

We lived part time in Mexico for two years. Plenty of food to worry about there.

Never go to? Hmm, I've got a fairly long list of places I've been and won't return (either because I disliked them, or for sentimental reasons where the first trip can't possibly be topped.) But as far as never:

Disneyworld
Anyplace where I'm expected to go skiing.
Israel (just not interested)
Most of the Middle East (although we did go to Dubai and it was pretty cool.)
Detroit
The Bronx

Old 08-29-2017, 01:06 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,633,656 times
Asia. Anywhere in Asia.

Reasons:
1. Too far to fly. I just couldn't tolerate being on a plane for that many hours.
2. I am very uncomfortable in a place where I can't manage at least some of the language.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:27 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Asia. Anywhere in Asia.

Reasons:
1. Too far to fly. I just couldn't tolerate being on a plane for that many hours.
Solution: xanex or ambein. Maybe with one, single glass of wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
. I am very uncomfortable in a place where I can't manage at least some of the language.
Two solutions:

Stay in the big cities where someone (nearly everyone?) will speak some English.
Take a guided, group tour.

And two suggestions:

Download a translation app on your SmartPhone
Learn how to say the following in the local language: Hello, goodbye, thank you, please, excuse me and bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or