U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:44 AM

4,532 posts, read 2,316,747 times

Advertisements

if your into the wailers, damian marley would be performing in boston house-of-blues on labor day. it mite be all ages but would probably be tuff with a 2-year-old.

museum of science, childrens museum, computer museum, tea party ship, constitution, n.e. aquarium, fenway, lego land, ...

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-31-2017 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 08:58 AM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Is this one night in Dartmouth, Ma and then on to crash with friends around Boston?

Jersey City to Dartmouth is 4 hours driving if you don't hit traffic. You kind of have to assume more than that to clear NYC. Add in a couple hour stop in Mystic and you're already on the road for 6+ hours. A Newport detour would make that 8+ hours. With a 2-year-old, that could get ugly.

If you do opt for Newport, I suggest driving Ocean Ave and stopping at the Inn at Castle Hill for at least a beverage on the lawn.

My summer house is in South Dartmouth. The Cape is a pretty long drive. Just the Bourne Bridge is 40 minutes and that's not counting holiday long weekend Cape traffic. Provincetown would be awful with all the tourist traffic.

A day trip to Martha's Vineyard with a 2 year old would be possible. It's an hour on the fast ferry in New Bedford to Oak Bluffs. Oak Bluffs is walkable. There's pretty good bus service on the island. I imagine the ferry will be packed on a holiday weekend so you'd need reservations.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:11 AM

17,233 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT2015 View Post
Thanks so much!...Will definitely make a note the points suggested by you. Can you help me with questions around Cape Code? Is Provincetown the major tourist attraction? Is there a particular beach that we should visit in Provincetown? and I read about the Boat tours and Whale watching activity as well, are these worth? We have a 2 year old, hence don't want to be very ambitious and visit only the main attractions. Thanks in advance!
I didn't get time to do whale watching. But it sounds like a good idea.

Visit the Salem Witch Museum if you have time. It's neat to see the history of that period.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:33 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I didn't get time to do whale watching. But it sounds like a good idea.

Visit the Salem Witch Museum if you have time. It's neat to see the history of that period.
If considering Salem, you can make a day trip of it -- this is easily reached from Boston's North Station via commuter rail. Besides the Witch Museum, there's the Peabody Essex Museum, House of Seven Gables, Salem National Maritime Historic Site, and two historic houses administered by Historic New England, the Phillips House and Gedney House. Plus you can head out to Salem Willows (likely the only place left on earth where you can still get a chop suey sandwich) to see the water views, play arcade games, and eat junky food like deep fried seafood, pizza, ice cream, taffy, and popcorn.

There are also loads of junky ghost and pirate themed museums (which I can't in good conscience recommend) and lots of eccentric shops selling new age and witch related stuff.

Lots of fun, but maybe too overcrowded if going in October.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:51 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,373,414 times
In Boston take a Duck Boat tour, the kids will love it.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:01 PM

1,483 posts, read 413,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
For a 2 year old child, I suggest the Boston Aquarium: Home - New England Aquarium
Better yet, the Boston Children's Museum or better still for toddlers, Acton Children's Museum.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:16 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,758,877 times
Quote:
Hi All - We are a family of three including a 2 year old and planning for a trip this Labor Day weekend to CT, RI, Cape Cod and Boston over a period of 4-5 days, from Jersey City. Looking for advice on the spots/places to visit during the trip. Following are the details:
  1. First Day, leave early morning to reach CT by noon to visit Mystic Aquarium. Leave after lunch to head towards our hotel in Dartmouth. On the way, stop for sightseeing in Newport, RI.
  2. Day two - From Dartmouth, visit Cape Cod bay (mostly Provincetown) and is possible cover Martha's Vineyard
  3. Day three to Day five- Leave for Boston (will be staying at friend's place) and cover Boston attraction over a course of 2 days

Please let me know the major attractions/not to miss spots at the location mentioned above. Also, open to suggestions on inclusion of(if possible) any new locations. Thanks a ton in advance!
How do you plan on reaching CT by noon and leaving after lunch to go to Dartmouth? We've spent the entire day at the aquarium. It's a good size aquarium.

You could easily spend an entire day in Provincetown. Martha's Vineyard is a ferry ride. Have you checked in the ferry tickets and times? This weekend it will be PACKED. If you're planning on bringing your car, then you need to schedule that well in advance. I'd plan for at least an entire day in Martha's Vineyard.

That's a lot crammed in there. Traffic is one thing to consider. Traffic will SUCK on the Cape this weekend. Getting onto the Cape may be a fiasco all on it's own.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:18 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,758,877 times
Quote:
Thanks so much!...Will definitely make a note the points suggested by you. Can you help me with questions around Cape Code? Is Provincetown the major tourist attraction? Is there a particular beach that we should visit in Provincetown? and I read about the Boat tours and Whale watching activity as well, are these worth? We have a 2 year old, hence don't want to be very ambitious and visit only the main attractions. Thanks in advance!
Whale watches are awesome. It's not like you're watching whales the entire time you're on the ship. Something to think about with a 2 year old.

Provincetown is a great town to walk around and check out. There's a beach and the Pilgrim Monument.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:38 PM

5,420 posts, read 2,336,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There's an excellent children's museum in Boston too.

While Newport is gorgeous, I don't think your toddler will love The Breakers or have the patience for the lines.

May I also suggest visiting The Constitution while in Boston. Park the car and use the public transportation. Driving and parking in Boston is not easy.

Have to agree that is an ambitious itinerary with a 2 year old.
Agree!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:11 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Hi All - We are a family of three including a 2 year old and planning for a trip this Labor Day weekend to CT, RI, Cape Cod and Boston over a period of 4-5 days, from Jersey City. Looking for advice on the spots/places to visit during the trip. Following are the details:
  1. First Day, leave early morning to reach CT by noon to visit Mystic Aquarium. Leave after lunch to head towards our hotel in Dartmouth. On the way, stop for sightseeing in Newport, RI.
  2. Day two - From Dartmouth, visit Cape Cod bay (mostly Provincetown) and is possible cover Martha's Vineyard
  3. Day three to Day five- Leave for Boston (will be staying at friend's place) and cover Boston attraction over a course of 2 days

Please let me know the major attractions/not to miss spots at the location mentioned above. Also, open to suggestions on inclusion of(if possible) any new locations. Thanks a ton in advance!
now that the weekend is over let us know how you enjoyed Boston. I only found this thread today so I could not give you any pointers but you did get some great ideas. I would have skipped P-town unless you had a plan to go on a whale watch. It is a long drive out to the tip of the cape only to turn around to come back inland.

I do hope you got to take in the duck tour. The kids would definitely love it as well as you will get some historical information on one of America's best cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel