U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 PM

8,132 posts, read 8,631,834 times

Advertisements

We took the duck tour many years ago in Boston. It was a lot of fun, but our kids were older and they took turns getting to "steer" the boat. I don't think a 2 year old would get much out of a duck boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:44 AM

29 posts, read 15,983 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Thankyou all for the wonderful suggestions and tips. We had a great trip. Here arethe details:
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Wevisited Mystic Aquarium, Seaport and downtown. The aquarium did not meetthe high expectations that I had for it after hearing everyone say aboutit. It was just ok. Rest was great.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Thenheaded towards Newport, RI - drove on the ocean drive, visited Brenton PointState Park, did Cliff Walk and visited downtown. A big thumbs up for Newport. Iwill definitely go back to spend more quality time.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]In Providence RI – the Children’s museum was great…mytoddler had a wonderful time there...and it was so cheap like 9 bucks perperson. Had a great time at Prospect Terrace and in the India Point Park aswell.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]InCape Cod - we visited Sandwich Glass Museum, Heritage Museumand Gardens (@BachSlunch’s advice….thanks so much), pretty awesome. Thecarrousel and the tree house in the Heritage Gardens were super great. Thenheaded for the Provincetown beaches to see the sunset (according to the hype).It was a huge huge disappointment. The Herrings Cove as well as the Race Pointbeach, both were covered with algae and had dead fish all over the sand andeven the water was muddier and not fit to have fun with or even go near it. Thebeaches were kind of deserted and very smelly. Maybe it was not a good day, andto add to it, it got cloudy and so there was no sunset to view too. Will advisenot to visit the beaches in Provincetown, unless you are staying in Provincetown.However we took Route 6A for the drive and it was way scenic than the Route 6to reach Provincetown. We had dropped out the Martha’s vineyard trip from ourlist, due to the long drive to Provincetown.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]Boston was good too, did the usual Freedom Trail, duck boat toursand Commons. But nothing stood out. Rhode Island was the highlight of our trip,a must visit place for the people who enjoy and appreciate scenic beauty.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 09-12-2017, 05:48 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
JDT2015.......
Quote:
Boston was good too, did the usual Freedom Trail, duck boat toursand Commons. But nothing stood out. Rhode Island was the highlight of our trip,a must visit place for the people who enjoy and appreciate scenic beauty.
I am very glad you had a great trip. I wished I had seen the post before you left. I would have suggested Martha's Vineyard over P-town. I have live in MA for the past 35 years. I haven't seen the entire state yet but I have seen all 4 corners. The trip to Newport is and was a great idea. I love that area as well. So many nice restaurants and things to do and see.

New England as a region is one of the nicer parts of this wonderful country. If you have time to do that again. I would suggest going up the coast even further to Maine. The beach water is colder but there are so many other activities to do.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 AM

29 posts, read 15,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
JDT2015.......

I am very glad you had a great trip. I wished I had seen the post before you left. I would have suggested Martha's Vineyard over P-town. I have live in MA for the past 35 years. I haven't seen the entire state yet but I have seen all 4 corners. The trip to Newport is and was a great idea. I love that area as well. So many nice restaurants and things to do and see.

New England as a region is one of the nicer parts of this wonderful country. If you have time to do that again. I would suggest going up the coast even further to Maine. The beach water is colder but there are so many other activities to do.

Thank you and I appreciate it! and yes we will definitely be doing the trip to Maine to see the fall colors in first week of October, thanks for your suggestion again.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:13 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT2015 View Post
Thank you and I appreciate it! and yes we will definitely be doing the trip to Maine to see the fall colors in first week of October, thanks for your suggestion again.
you will need to go a long ways up to enjoy some awesome sights. Take in Bar Harbor and Mount Desert Island. You will not be disappointed. You could also take a train up the scenic coast all the way there from Boston to Bar Harbor and beyond if you want.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:41 PM

1,179 posts, read 479,694 times
JDT2015, glad you had a good time and good to know I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
you will need to go a long ways up to enjoy some awesome sights. Take in Bar Harbor and Mount Desert Island. You will not be disappointed. You could also take a train up the scenic coast all the way there from Boston to Bar Harbor and beyond if you want.
The train (Amtrak) only runs from Boston out to Brunswick, ME, which is a long way from Bar Harbor. It is possible to reach Bar Harbor from Boston via bus, but it's tricky and not possible every day -- I'd recommend driving, especially with a 2-year old, if you go.

Nice as Bar Harbor is, you can see and do plenty in Maine well before that. In fact, there's plenty to see and do just in Portland, The Kennebunks, Ogunquit, and The Yorks in southern Maine, plus good outlet shopping in Kittery. Portsmouth, NH is well worth a visit also.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 AM

6,854 posts, read 11,123,467 times
Quote:
[FONT Rhode Island was the highlight of our trip,a must visit place for the people who enjoy and appreciate scenic beauty.[/font][/color]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Come back soon! So much to see in every New England state- a week in each one would be more realistic.

On the other hand, I've lived here in RI 35 years now and still have places yet to see!

Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 PM

3,616 posts, read 1,561,283 times
Quote:
We took the fall trip from Boston-Meredith-Conway-Bartlett-Franconia-Lincoln and back...It was an excellent road trip. We stopped at a place where there was a bear show and train ride for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel