U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:24 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,193,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have had similar happen, usually with arriving flight crews in the middle of the night trying to enter my room.

likely the desk / someone relocated the previous guest who was unhappy with their room, and the hotel did not complete the paperwork, while the room still had your reservation assigned to it. (Maybe it had to go to 'central office / operations HQ' to complete

You would think... the card code device would restrict access to ONE registered guest (with provided ID, which is usually stuck in my room when I lose my key at the pool...). But it is probably running on a 'windows/ dos ' based system that is 1980's vintage.

You can always alert Marriott and they will give you some extra points for the trouble!
Must have been me! Long day flying. Check into hotel. Someone already in the room I was given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 04:26 PM

13,164 posts, read 6,276,570 times
Thanks everyone.

Yes, it occurred to me after we filled out the Marriott survey they sent after we checked out that we should have mentioned it The GM of the hotel answered us so we still have her email. I'm thinking that we should email her and mention this.

What was odd was that the desk clerk checked the system and it said that someone had checked out of that room 2 days earlier.

Yes, we always put the security bolt in place when we are in the room. That way, if someone tried to get in, they wouldn't get far. After reading some of the responses, those responses stress the need to use that security bolt!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 PM

3,002 posts, read 6,496,183 times
I had a very similar experience - opened the door with the key card and saw a man's suit and shoes on the bed. The front desk attendant seemed surprised and said that the previous guest had checked out days ago. They assigned me a new room on the same floor and about 20 minutes later I saw the police entering the other room. When I asked the front desk that evening, they said it was just a "precaution".

Old 09-03-2017, 11:23 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,787,392 times
Sometimes the hotel clerks assign the rooms before the check in rush but then the guest asks for a certain room type and you have to change it. The problem is if the person who checked the guest into your blocked room but didn't reassign you, whoever checks you in will put you in that room.

The main hotel system is called opera and it doesn't have an automatic prompt for things like that. You should ideally be checking another screen just to be safe from situations like this but human error.

The other plausible explanation is that the person who checked her in/ moved her didn't complete the task so the computer shows the room as open.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I have had similar happen, usually with arriving flight crews in the middle of the night trying to enter my room.

likely the desk / someone relocated the previous guest who was unhappy with their room, and the hotel did not complete the paperwork, while the room still had your reservation assigned to it. (Maybe it had to go to 'central office / operations HQ' to complete

You would think... the card code device would restrict access to ONE registered guest (with provided ID, which is usually stuck in my room when I lose my key at the pool...). But it is probably running on a 'windows/ dos ' based system that is 1980's vintage.

You can always alert Marriott and they will give you some extra points for the trouble!
No, the keycard is coded to the room and checkout date, so any key coded for room 100 for one night will work for room 100 until an hour or so after check out time.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,702 posts, read 40,093,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
No, the keycard is coded to the room and checkout date, so any key coded for room 100 for one night will work for room 100 until an hour or so after check out time.
Very handy to know!!! Maybe I can snag some new clothes next time I do a late check-out, and don't turn in my cardkey! But... I seldom use hotels (only on business). 360 days traveling in 2016 only had to use 8 hotels thank goodness... (usually due to 3AM flight or similar). I need to use nearly 40 nights yet in 2017, or let the points expire.. (that is fine with me, or I usually donate for 'Make-a-wish', bereavement, or military.. Usually ezr to do for airline, than hotel points, but I have a program that uses either)

Old 09-04-2017, 04:29 AM

3 posts, read 985 times
Had a similar situation occur in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago. Checked into our room early in the afternoon and opened the door to find the room not yet cleaned by housekeeping. Luggage in-hand, we tossed our bags onto the unmade bed and headed back to the front desk.

After closing the door and taking a few steps down the hall, two housekeepers came running toward us. They were visibly upset and demanded the key to our room. There was a language barrier and we assumed they were going to be in trouble for not cleaning the room. But that was not the case.

We opened the room and one of the housekeepers frantically threw our luggage off the bed and onto the floor. She then grabbed at the bedspread. One baby (a recent newborn) dropped out. And then a second baby!

Neither baby moved much and i thought one - after being under our luggage - was dead until it awoke in mom's arms. Both women were hysterical until they realized both babies were ok. We were in shock!

In the end, it was a story of two recent immigrant mothers working as housekeepers with no choice but to bring their babies to work and hide them in an unoccupied room. Fearing they would be fired, they begged us not to report the incident. We agreed not to and shared our room for the rest of the day.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:36 AM

6,439 posts, read 4,199,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I was in a hotel once, when at approx. 2:30 AM, four people (two men, two women) walked in, turned on the light and asked me who the **** I was.

The night clerk issued a duplicate key.

It came very close to having a haunted room. Cause they made more noise than a herd of elephants in dry brush so I was wide awake, and when they asked me who I was, my reply was, "I'm the one with the gun pointed at YOU!
This is why I always make sure to use the manual door lock from the inside, when I am in the room.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Very handy to know!!! Maybe I can snag some new clothes next time I do a late check-out, and don't turn in my cardkey! But... I seldom use hotels (only on business). 360 days traveling in 2016 only had to use 8 hotels thank goodness... (usually due to 3AM flight or similar). I need to use nearly 40 nights yet in 2017, or let the points expire.. (that is fine with me, or I usually donate for 'Make-a-wish', bereavement, or military.. Usually ezr to do for airline, than hotel points, but I have a program that uses either)
It's only coded for a couple hours past checkout bc of late checkouts. It's not enough time for a turnover unless it's a hourly place, lol.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:20 AM

13,164 posts, read 6,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofsoma View Post
Had a similar situation occur in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago. Checked into our room early in the afternoon and opened the door to find the room not yet cleaned by housekeeping. Luggage in-hand, we tossed our bags onto the unmade bed and headed back to the front desk.

After closing the door and taking a few steps down the hall, two housekeepers came running toward us. They were visibly upset and demanded the key to our room. There was a language barrier and we assumed they were going to be in trouble for not cleaning the room. But that was not the case.

We opened the room and one of the housekeepers frantically threw our luggage off the bed and onto the floor. She then grabbed at the bedspread. One baby (a recent newborn) dropped out. And then a second baby!

Neither baby moved much and i thought one - after being under our luggage - was dead until it awoke in mom's arms. Both women were hysterical until they realized both babies were ok. We were in shock!

In the end, it was a story of two recent immigrant mothers working as housekeepers with no choice but to bring their babies to work and hide them in an unoccupied room. Fearing they would be fired, they begged us not to report the incident. We agreed not to and shared our room for the rest of the day.
Wow...just wow.

I never would have agreed to share my hotel room with anyone. Sorry but when we pay for a room, we expect to have it to ourselves, considering what a decent hotel room costs these days.

If those maids kept pulling that, I'm sure that they didn't get away with it for very long. They are very lucky that their babies weren't injured when they fell off the bed! Newborns are very fragile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or