Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:46 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times

Advertisements

I have done this before, booking after check in time, and usually get a very low rate for the night. it sucks to move every day , but that $150 room costs $60 after 4 pm. Am I playing with fire here?

I figured this out, visiting a location on a whim, and deciding to extend my stay if things are going good. Usually involves the beach, with plans to drive home around 5pm, and just checking to see if a good deal is available, and just like that 60 0/0 off.

I have also had luck , say driving to Florida, checking the weather for different regions, then deciding where we could stay. At times it could get hectic, scanning prices, and not knowing what the next move would cost us.

Again, am I nuts to even travel like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 06:52 AM

360 posts, read 372,023 times
Booking.com offers many good price many weeks before the departure. Sometimes I save more than 20%.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:03 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Walk-Ins generally get a "high" rate. They have you and know they you are probably going to accept it.

Best Bet is to go online an hour or so before and pick a hotel and get a better rate, or at least do it from the parking lot.

I did a walked Once, The rate quoted to me was Rack Rate. I said No, but the desk clerk did not move on the price, Called Corp Travel (24x7) number they booked me into the same hotel at a lower rate, and upgraded me to a JR suite. Desk Clerk said this is why we can't make any money...

Old 08-25-2017, 07:34 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
I think that might have happened in the past but most hotels now are run by the big chains that work under a certain protocol. Do you think you can even negotiate a rate with a front office clerk making minimum wage and reporting to a chain of managers that are needed to make decisions? In fact, like the other guy said, you are likely to get a higher rate simply walking in.

Your approach might work for small hotels with owner/operators...no chance in the big chains. Your best approach for them is to email or call ahead, talk to the hotel managers, and negotiate a rate.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:17 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
Do you feel lucky?

Sometimes this will work, sometimes it won't, and sometimes there will be no vacancies anywhere in town. It all depends on your tolerance for potential inconvenience.

I have occasionally negotiated and received a small discount, but I think it was just a matter of giving me cheapest available rate and not the first one quoted. But then I usually stay at the decent-name-brand hotels.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Again, am I nuts to even travel like this?
You're not the only one. Hotel Tonight is a popular app that books for up to 7 days in advance, but when they originally launched the first four years they only did same day bookings.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:33 PM

when I have done things this way, it was strictly off of the expedia app, with additional discounts for app useage. or the hotel chains website, always as a member. I am going to start testing this method, starting Saturdays, at 4pm, and see how lucky I can get.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Yeah, I think it's nuts - and I'm a notorious cheapskate. If you're on vacation, this technique is stressful and time consuming. If you're on business, you risk a serious screw up. Either way, if your goal is to save money, go with Airbnb

Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 PM

just to update on my end of summer trip, We only booked the first 2 nights, and winged it for the other 8. It worked out surprisingly well. we did suffer 1 rain day, but it worked! I pushed it , by booking after noon time, day of, but it worked with a combination of points transfers, and small "hook" here and there.

We did book one hotel, at 10 pm at night, day of, and got an extremely good rate, with late check out.

we were in Florida, in a car, and a reliable weather app, plotting the next 3 days where we can enjoy only sunny days. the combination of mid week travel, and not as many visitors, was on our side. so was the over saturation of hotels in some areas.

Our criteria was not beach front and room service, but near the beach, with free parking, breakfast, and a pool. each location we managed to stay at was less than 10 minutes drive to the beach/attraction, and close to good priced restaurants , shopping . We averaged $75 per night, for the 10 nights, in 2nd or 3rd tier hotels, avoiding resort fees and that $25 per day parking charges.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:49 AM

308 posts, read 237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Booking.com offers many good price many weeks before the departure. Sometimes I save more than 20%.
Yeah ive just booked somewhere in London for 3rd week in October,was on a special deal on booking.com and got a third off.Trip Advisor is another good site as they show booking rates from half a dozen companies for the same rooms.

Walking in unless its quite late at night often doesnt result in a cheaper deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel