Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:10 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

Recently, we stayed in a chain hotel. We checked in and got our key card. When we arrived at our room and opened the door, immediately we saw someone's suitcase plus a hair dryer lying on a table. At that point, we shut the door and went back to the front desk.

The front desk clerk was very surprised when we told her what happened. She checked the computer and said that someone checked out of that room 2 days prior. Then she went to talk to someone in housekeeping. After that, she assigned us another room which was fine---no problems there.

In the days before key cards were around, we once got our room key, opened the door and saw someone's suitcase and some clothes draped on the bed. This was the days before things were computerized so, I figure that mistakes like that back then could easily happen.

So...what do you think happened with our most recent experience? A glitch in the computer? Or was an employee, perhaps, sneaking a friend into an empty room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 01:27 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Recently, we stayed in a chain hotel. We checked in and got our key card. When we arrived at our room and opened the door, immediately we saw someone's suitcase plus a hair dryer lying on a table. At that point, we shut the door and went back to the front desk.

The front desk clerk was very surprised when we told her what happened. She checked the computer and said that someone checked out of that room 2 days prior. Then she went to talk to someone in housekeeping. After that, she assigned us another room which was fine---no problems there.

In the days before key cards were around, we once got our room key, opened the door and saw someone's suitcase and some clothes draped on the bed. This was the days before things were computerized so, I figure that mistakes like that back then could easily happen.

So...what do you think happened with our most recent experience? A glitch in the computer? Or was an employee, perhaps, sneaking a friend into an empty room?
Or may be a haunted room?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Or may be a haunted room?
I didn't know ghosts had suitcases. That's a new one.

Seriously, I am wondering how this could have happened.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:45 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I had that happen years ago when I attended a conference and there was some confusion on rooms but I would have thought that electronic key systems would have had safeguards to avoid that. I'm guessing it was an employee taking advantage of an empty room. If there was an adjoining room with connecting doors it could be that the doors were not locked.

Was it one of those hourly rate hotels?

Old 09-03-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

Was it one of those hourly rate hotels?
I've never stayed in an hourly rate hotel

It was a Marriott property.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:19 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
I was in a hotel once, when at approx. 2:30 AM, four people (two men, two women) walked in, turned on the light and asked me who the **** I was.

The night clerk issued a duplicate key.

It came very close to having a haunted room. Cause they made more noise than a herd of elephants in dry brush so I was wide awake, and when they asked me who I was, my reply was, "I'm the one with the gun pointed at YOU!

Old 09-03-2017, 04:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Technology does not always work properly due to operator error or the mere fact it is technology.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:58 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Technology does not always work properly due to operator error or the mere fact it is technology.
To put it more simply, garbage in garbage out.

I've had the same experience except the occupants were in the room. Mistakes happen. (PS it's not a big deal)

Old 09-03-2017, 08:02 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I've had stuff happen. Oh well. As long as they straightened it out! Glad they did!

If you want to know you should have asked before you left the hotel.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:07 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
We had people trying to get in our room one time at a Motel X type place. The clerk has screwed up the card system. Always use the chain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel