U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:04 PM

949 posts, read 538,624 times

Advertisements

See Trip Advisor - it will answer many of your questions about what to do and where to stay and what to eat...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 03:30 PM

91 posts, read 68,406 times
Hey, y'all. Sorry for not replying sooner, but I had to work last night and I just got up. I haven't gotten to read all the replies yet, but I will get to doing that after this. And I wanted to make sure to thank all of you for replying and trying to help me with this situation. I am inexperienced and naive about this stuff, so I really appreciate those of you who are trying to offer me some much-needed helpful advice, suggestions and information!

FYI, I still have not booked my flight yet, but I am planning on doing that today. As I did notice someone mention, not doing so already likely has increased the cost of flights, which really sucks, and I regret not getting started on this sooner; but I can only try to do the best with what's available now.

Thanks again for trying to help me with this situation. I sincerely appreciate it!

Old 09-15-2017, 04:50 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
I'm sorry OP, I tried checking for you again and I just don't think there's a viable alternative. Your best bet is to book the AA flight for $501 now. I can't say with certainty but I do feel like this price can't go up too much more, but that said it won't be coming down so you might as well book it now. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2017, 05:46 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Make sure you bring cash for tolls, NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway are toll roads which you will take from Newark. When approaching a toll booth stay to the right and look for CASH lane, DO NOT get into the EZPASS Lane.

When you leave Newark you will look for the turnpike make sure you take the ticket from the machine. You will need the ticket when you get off at exit 11 Garden State Parkway(GSP) south. If you loose the ticket you will pay the max amount. Once you get on GSP it will be cash tolls. Weekend traffic Friday and Sunday on the GSP can be tough, take your time. Remember you are in NJ, no one uses turn signals and will be on the cell phone, the speed limit is a suggestion do not get into the left lane if you plan on doing less than 80mph, they will push you out of the way.

Remember NJ has tough gun laws, leave the gun at home.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip, congratulations to both of you.
You can go in the toll lanes. You just get charged the toll on your rental.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:07 PM

91 posts, read 68,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm sorry OP, I tried checking for you again and I just don't think there's a viable alternative. Your best bet is to book the AA flight for $501 now. I can't say with certainty but I do feel like this price can't go up too much more, but that said it won't be coming down so you might as well book it now. Good luck!
Thank you very much for going out of your way to look in to that for me. Seriously, I really appreciate the gesture and your efforts! It's people like yourself who help to restore some of my faith in humanity.

As for my flights, I think I have something figured out. I have a friend who offered to help me by using some of their points to pay for airfare tickets, and it looks like he should be able to at least get one way covered. It won't be as quick and convenient as using Southwest and the non-stop flight that is/was available, as I will have a stop/layover, if I use the option my friend has available to him with his points. However, he may actually be able to book flights for both ways for me and I would just need to give him $250 cash to make up for what his points will not cover. An extremely generous gesture, I know; and one that I am genuinely grateful for! I'm not certain that it's going to work, but as of this morning, there was an option available that would likely work for my situation.

I'm waiting to communicate with my friend about this more tonight, and if it's available, I will probably have my flight covered. I've also been reading/re-reading the posts in this thread again, to try to get help with renting a car and a hotel, and there have been many helpful suggestions made and information shared, so I want to thank you all again for posting in this thread and trying to help me with this trip. I really do appreciate the efforts of y'all and I want to make sure that all of you know this!

Also, while I'm thinking about this, I wanted to ask something else about my digital camera situation. The digital camera I have is a larger one, that looks like older film cameras and is much larger than a typical, small point-and-shoot digital camera. So I was wondering if this might pose a problem when it comes to trying to retrieve it out of my bag during the flight and, specifically, when it comes to trying to use it to take pictures through the window? For reference, my camera is a FujiFilm FinePix S8200

Here's a link to the camera I currently have: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html

And an actual pic of my FujiFilm FinePix S8200 Digital Camera:

The reason I am bringing this up is because I was wondering if I should try to see if I can get a cheap (under $40 or so), but decent, smaller digital camera for this trip? One that is small enough to actually fit in my pocket, for example. I realize this may seem relatively unimportant, but I love taking photos, particularly, when it comes to being able to look back on and reflect on special events/memories. And while I will likely be able to use my larger digital camera to take pictures of my son's graduation ceremony, being that flying on an airplane is actually really rare for myself, I would like to be able to take some cool photos during my flights through the airplane's window, if/when the view/clouds allow it. So, if it would be a good idea to get a smaller digital camera to use to take photos while on the airplane, I would like to try to do that.

With that stated, can anyone suggest a decent, small point-and-shoot camera that sells for around/under $40-$50? Especially, one that can be purchased on Amazon and shipped via Prime? I'm not expecting to be able to get something really powerful and impressive; but a camera with decent zoom, good photo quality, and the ability to record decent video, would be nice.

As usual, I'm sorry for writing so much. And much thanks for all the helpful replies!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 PM

783 posts, read 536,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Hey, these both have some crowded roads around them. Getting out of Newark at rush hour (i.e. 4-6 pm weekdays) is a lot worse by a long shot than getting out of Philly. Neither is fun or fast.The road becomes easier closer to Cape May (the last 90 minutes from Newark are a lot easier driving than the first 90 minutes). It's a toss-up for me. We're doing Newark because its non-stop & we will stop to see family between Cape May & Newark on the return.

If I had to choose, I'd do Newark to save the money. The extra time to drive is not all of the difficult type.
I agree, I would do Newark and save the $$$$. Both are crowded areas so encountering an accident or traffic in either Newark or Philly is high either way. I would try to see if you can get a flight that doesnt land at rush hour. Newark is in the path of the NYC commuters and a fairly big metro area in and of itself so you will save a lot of stress arriving during a non rush hour - although as i type this, realizing that is pretty much impossible coming from west coast . And I havent checked the actual dats on this, but I fly a lot and always seem to have bad luck getting in and out of Philly. Newark is one of the biggest airports, but I always feel like I get in and out without crazy delays. Also there are so many flights on the off chance there is a cancellation it will be easier to get another flight.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
Thank you very much for going out of your way to look in to that for me. Seriously, I really appreciate the gesture and your efforts! It's people like yourself who help to restore some of my faith in humanity.
Np. I do it everyday so it took me 3 minutes to look up flights to all the nearby airports. Not a big deal. It is fairly simple for those of us who do this regularly.

I think your camera is fine and you're a overcomplicating things a bit. If you are really bringing such light baggage then it's probably no trouble for you to just carry the camera around your neck the whole time. And you can take all the photos you want. Hope the ticket works out with your friend!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 PM

783 posts, read 536,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post

As for my flights, I think I have something figured out. I have a friend who offered to help me by using some of their points to pay for airfare tickets, and it looks like he should be able to at least get one way covered. It won't be as quick and convenient as using Southwest and the non-stop flight that is/was available, as I will have a stop/layover, if I use the option my friend has available to him with his points. However, he may actually be able to book flights for both ways for me and I would just need to give him $250 cash to make up for what his points will not cover. An extremely generous gesture, I know; and one that I am genuinely grateful for! I'm not certain that it's going to work, but as of this morning, there was an option available that would likely work for my situation.

I'm waiting to communicate with my friend about this more tonight, and if it's available, I will probably have my flight covered. I've also been reading/re-reading the posts in this thread again, to try to get help with renting a car and a hotel, and there have been many helpful suggestions made and information shared, so I want to thank you all again for posting in this thread and trying to help me with this trip. I really do appreciate the efforts of y'all and I want to make sure that all of you know this!

Also, while I'm thinking about this, I wanted to ask something else about my digital camera situation. The digital camera I have is a larger one, that looks like older film cameras and is much larger than a typical, small point-and-shoot digital camera. So I was wondering if this might pose a problem when it comes to trying to retrieve it out of my bag during the flight and, specifically, when it comes to trying to use it to take pictures through the window? For reference, my camera is a FujiFilm FinePix S8200

Here's a link to the camera I currently have: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html

And an actual pic of my FujiFilm FinePix S8200 Digital Camera:

The reason I am bringing this up is because I was wondering if I should try to see if I can get a cheap (under $40 or so), but decent, smaller digital camera for this trip? One that is small enough to actually fit in my pocket, for example. I realize this may seem relatively unimportant, but I love taking photos, particularly, when it comes to being able to look back on and reflect on special events/memories. And while I will likely be able to use my larger digital camera to take pictures of my son's graduation ceremony, being that flying on an airplane is actually really rare for myself, I would like to be able to take some cool photos during my flights through the airplane's window, if/when the view/clouds allow it. So, if it would be a good idea to get a smaller digital camera to use to take photos while on the airplane, I would like to try to do that.

With that stated, can anyone suggest a decent, small point-and-shoot camera that sells for around/under $40-$50? Especially, one that can be purchased on Amazon and shipped via Prime? I'm not expecting to be able to get something really powerful and impressive; but a camera with decent zoom, good photo quality, and the ability to record decent video, would be nice.

As usual, I'm sorry for writing so much. And much thanks for all the helpful replies!
if you are willing to forgo leg room and it does look like your bag is fairly small, you can pull that fuji camera out of your bag if stored under seat in front of u. although if you enjoy taking photos it might be worth buying a small pocket sized just to have it. not sure about price points but i know prices have come down a lot. and i know this sounds a bit nuts, but maybe try a pawn shop? we have a small canon high megapixel digital camera that we bought a few years back (with video) that we paid about $400 for - the tech changes so much i bet you can pick one up (even a refurb model on ebay on amazon) very cheap and they take great pics and video. And congrats on your sons graduation, u must b so proud and it is so great he wants u to be there

Old 09-15-2017, 10:46 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Bring the nice camera. Airline don't like it when you take pictures of the flight crew while the plane is in the air (and ask before getting any pictures of fellow passengers), but they're used to people wanting to take pictures of pretty much everything else inside the plane and out the windows.

And like I'll always say, there's nothing wrong with mentioning to airline employees or TSA security folks that hey, I haven't flown in twenty years so what do I need to know and do here? There's an assumption that everyone in the airport already knows the routines and if you aren't with the program it's because you're actively trying to be a jerk rather than you just didn't know something. Most people are glad to answer questions or help out if you're not sure what to do next.

As for airlines, American for me often has the best prices for last minute flights, though they're still not cheap. Southwest is best when you have some time to plan the trip out 8-16 weeks beforehand; once they sell out of their Wanna Get Away fare types, they can become decidedly more expensive than the American-United-Delta troika.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:11 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times
Bring the camera. You'll regret it if you don't. And your money can be better spent than buying anew unnecessary point and shoot.

Your friend is indeed generous! Obviously, if he/she has gathered that many points, they travel a lot. May I suggest you asknow him/her for help with the hotel and rental car? You're biggest barrier is going to be no credit card.

(After all this is over, get yourself a cc. If your credit is the reason you don't have one, get a prepaid one. A far better use for your money than buying a point and shoot camera. If you don't have a cc because you know you lack the discipline to not abuse it, give it to a trusted friend or in a safe deposit box.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or