U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 PM

9,773 posts, read 4,991,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
I did specifically think about that, but these flashlights are apparently really popular, as they seem to sell out really quickly each and every time that the local Walmart here in Payson, Az, gets them in. After I bought a couple of them a few weeks ago and realized how bright they were, I've checked back multiple times and they have been sold out of them more often than not. And when they get them in again, they typically get like 15-20 of them, but they are sold out within a week. So, I can't help but worry that it might be the same thing at Walmarts over on the East Coast.
Place an online order and have it shipped to a store close to your destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 PM

25 posts, read 10,085 times
A flashlight will come in handy to check for those potential bedbugs sightings.

I carry in a backpack my tablet, phone & tablet chargers, camera, backup portable chargers, and more accessories, and it's fine. Having 2 phones will not be questioned, nor will 3 small flashlights. As for the yellow one, if it unscrews in half, though it doesn't appear to, just store it in 2 parts, if possible, or take the top off and tape it the body as not to loose it. I understand your concerns not being a traveler, but you are overthinking much of this. Since you are staying longer, you could easily take a larger case/bag for clothes, toiletries, and use the small under seat duffel for your camera and chargers, etc.

Some frugal savings suggestions since you are budgeting:

To get a discount on the car rental, you can call your car insurance company and have them fax or email rental coupons to you - most have them. Or, you can look up "car rental discount codes or promo codes" on line. When you get the car, either in person or on line, tell them you have a discount code. They are good for sometimes as much as 25% off, or a free weekend day rental. Discounts are based on the car rental place, ie: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, etc.. If renting from the airport, there are plenty of taxes and surcharges that will up your total rental bill by $35-$65 easy for the 4 days.

When you get your hotel room, if you are 50 or older, ask about the AARP rate. Sometimes they ask to see your card, other times not and they'll give you the 10% off anyway. If you don't feel comfy doing that, just ask for a discount since you are staying 3 nights. You never know if you don't ask. I'm a negotiator so I always ask for their best discount rate.

To save money eating out if this is a concern, find a grocery store and buy a few groceries for breakfasts and lunch, and that will get you by for a few meals saving a lot of cash. Hopefully there's a frig in the room, but if not, you can buy a cheap styro cooler with ice (get from hotel) and use that. We also carry a spare trash bag from home used as cooler insert for any leakage. We do this all the time when we are out and about during our travels as eating out can wipe out the spending money, though, we pick/choose when we want to eat out. And, if you stay at a hotel with free breakfast, help yourself to an extra piece of fruit, muffins, or whatever for later.

Don't forget to allow yourself extra time when leaving to get back to the Philly airport for your return flight. You don't know what kind of issues may cause a delay and you don't want to be late. Check in itself can be time consuming sometimes.

Have a safe and fun trip. Congratulations to your son.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,990,908 times

Tough love time.
This will sound harsh, but it's necessary to say.

Give the kid a gift card. He needs more important things than 16 flashlights - like furniture, dishes, silverware, etc. (And if TSA takes that stupid flashlight, no, you can't get it back on your return trip.)

I get why you're so stressed that you can't think straight. You're WAY WAY WAY over complicating this. STOP. NOW.

Stop thinking about flashlights, earbuds and, yes, stop worrying about taking freaking pictures (EXCEPT at the graduation). Enjoy this time with your son. It may well be the very last time he asks you for help.

He does not need flashlights, earbuds or the waste of precious time for you to take photos of buildings. My God - he is starting a new career, an unfamiliar and difficult military lifestyle. He has only a few days to buy a decent car and find a place to live. Talk about stress!

YOU need to put priorities in order and stop obsessing about really trivial, meaningless, stupid stuff. The kid needs you to help with important decisions, not flashlights and photos of skylines. Buy a postcard of NYC, go home and start saving money to take a proper trip to NYC. Then you can take as many photos as you want instead of taking time away from seriously important stuff.

The single, best piece of advice you've received in this entire thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
There are 2 important things about this trip:

1. Being there for your son's graduation;
2. Helping him find a rental in RI.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,990,908 times
And if YOU feel the need to have a flashlight with you every moment of the day and night, download the FLASHLIGHT app on your phone. It's annoyingly bright.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And if YOU feel the need to have a flashlight with you every moment of the day and night, download the FLASHLIGHT app on your phone. It's annoyingly bright.
And if you have an iPhone and download the update, it's now adjustable!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And if you have an iPhone and download the update, it's now adjustable!
I would respectfully suggest the same with the camera. If you don't get a window seat (and even if you do, or if the window seat is over a wing) that big honking camera is gonna be disruptive and overkill for taking photos at altitude.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 AM

Yeah, I think the OP might be a tad disappointed by what you can actually see from cruising altitude. Upon taking off and landing, you can sometimes see the city, but I find the view somewhat underwhelming (maybe I've seen it too many times, but there aren't many cities that have wowed me from the plane).

At cruising altitude, there's very little that you can make out. If you're lucky enough to fly over the Grand Canyon, that can be impressive, but don't epect to be able to make out many cities, even without cloud cover.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:51 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,487,316 times
I recommended the GWB route because OP said he or she wanted to see the city. I really wouldn't recommend driving THROUGH the city, it's stressful and there's traffic and it will take longer to get to your destination. The GWB isn't bad depending on the time and day. You can fly over it, or you can be stuck for a half hour trying to get to and over it. But the views down the river are nice. When taking the bridge, you're barely in Manhattan then you're quickly in the Bronx (well, depending on traffic haha). You don't have to drive up half the island like you would if you were to take one of the tunnels. But yeah, your only real options are either Tappan Zee or GWB, or the tunnels if you're really feeling it... don't. It's a lot. Driving in the city is stressful if you're not used to it. If you've never been to NYC before... driving there is nothing like you've seen before.

It's probably not feasible to actually make it TO the city to get a good look and get pictures, given your limited time, so nice skyline views would be the next best thing.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Take a deep breath, OP! I understand why this is stressful to you, so please try not to add more stress that's unnecessary. Bring the flashlight if you want. It will probably be fine. They rarely search your bag, they rarely stick to the "letter of the law" in the strictest sense, but then again if it really is against the rules then they could if they choose to. I agree that flashlights, cameras, and all these other things aren't that important. It's fine to have these questions especially when you are a novice traveler, but it seems these things are causing you a lot of stress.

Prioritize the big tasks first...namely your reservations and your itinerary/route. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,921,460 times
It just hit me! There is a way to get from NJ to RI without going through NYC and without an exorbitant bridge toll - it'll add about an hour to the trip, except it won't because there won't be the traffic of NYC and western CT. And with OP not being familiar with driving with a bunch of "city" folks (way different than driving through Phoenix).

NJ GSP to NYS Thruway to BEAR MOUNTAIN BRIDGE, then head east through northern CT and into RI along Route 6. It's a nice scenic drive through mountains (obviously) and it's the right season for the leaves to have begun changing color.
AAA maps can guide you.

Also, OP, I've got a post in the RI forum to help find some local motels/B&Bs for you in the South County/Pt. Judith area. I hit a wall in the under $100 category with everything closed for the off-season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or