U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:02 AM

3,302 posts, read 1,350,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If the relative/person I was visiting turned out to be a nightmare, yep, I was out of there pronto.
Twice.

One time left a day early to be able to vote. Waste of a vacation day the way the election turned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 05:27 AM

71,969 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As my father aged, he made a rule: If he croaks while I'm on vacation, I'll find out when I get home. He saw no sense in destroying a holiday.

I 've come to believe that he was right and we've instituted that same policy. Don't call us if something happens to our siblings. Don't call us if our house burns down. Don't call us if the dog dies. And we don't give anybody our itinerary for this reason.

Harsh? Maybe. But we both know that death is part of life. It's gonna happen regardless of where in the world we happen to be located.

I've returned early twice, both for the same reason and both from beachfront properties in Mexico. The summer humidity was unbearable, so back in the car we went. If a plane fare penalty had been involved, we would have stuck it out in our a/c hotel room.
We have said or indicated the same to our kids. I would not expect them to cut a vacation short unless there was no other answer. I don't think God will punish them or me for not returning home after we die or if we became really ill. Even if our house burnt down, what could they do?

Have we ever had a reason to cut our vacation short? I can't think of any. I would say, had a storm like Irma been following us, yes, I would get the heck out of town. One time I broke my foot, in Saint Martin about 5 minutes after we got to our stupid hotel. It still didn't spoil our vacation and it never dawned on us to return to America. It was broken, not the best medical care in the world, but I knew it would heal anyway and it did.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes, once from Aruba as it was a disappointment to us. Most over rated, over hyped , over priced place I've ever been to.
I have to say, what you posted is opinion and not fact. For some, because it isn't green and lush like we picture the Caribbean it may not be great, for those who love the beautiful sand, clear waters and friendly people it is a great island. We have been there twice on land vacations and several times on cruise ships. Over priced, I would agree, but this is typical for resort areas as they grow in popularity. The first time we were there it was dirt cheap, the last time super pricey. Otherwise, for us, it is a fun place to visit.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,799,032 times
Yes when my brother passed away . I flew all the way back from Ireland for the funeral and wake . I have not been back since. But I do hope to go back one day again , such a beautiful country really .

Old 09-17-2017, 07:32 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,895,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to say, what you posted is opinion and not fact. For some, because it isn't green and lush like we picture the Caribbean it may not be great, for those who love the beautiful sand, clear waters and friendly people it is a great island. We have been there twice on land vacations and several times on cruise ships. Over priced, I would agree, but this is typical for resort areas as they grow in popularity. The first time we were there it was dirt cheap, the last time super pricey. Otherwise, for us, it is a fun place to visit.
Of course it's my opinion and not fact. I was answering the question asked, Have you ever gone home early from a vacation? I gave my answer and reason for departing early. I know many love Aruba and go every year, it wasn't for us.

Last edited by njkate; 09-17-2017 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 08:00 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,705,599 times
Five or six years ago, my DH and I were staying at a resort on Lake Michigan when a huge thunderstorm blew through in the night. The next day management informed us that the power was out and would not be restored for several days, and whereas we were welcome to stay if we wanted to, it would not be very comfortable and they were advising all their guests that it would be best to leave. So we did. We missed out on three or four days of our planned 10-day vacation.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:33 AM

7,186 posts, read 11,232,837 times
When we had our travel trailer, we used to leave places early because we did everything we wanted to do at that particular destination and still had time left. So, we'd go to another place and do things there.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:50 AM

1,659 posts, read 822,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well they did say disappointing to "us".

Old 09-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Of course it's my opinion and not fact. I was answering the question asked, Have you ever gone home early from a vacation? I gave my answer and reason for departing early. I know many love Aruba and go every year, it wasn't for us.
ok, now you are backing down. I can buy it wasn't for you. I have traveled places that weren't for me; I have cruised on cruise lines others liked and I just didn't, but I have never said. outright, anything was over rated without making it clear it was my opinion and not fact.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:01 PM

424 posts, read 538,532 times
Once due to mandatory evacuation for a hurricane, lost 5 days of a weeks vacation.

Once because one of the friends went of the deepend, was behaving horribly so decided to cut the trip short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or