U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,886,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, now you are backing down. I can buy it wasn't for you. I have traveled places that weren't for me; I have cruised on cruise lines others liked and I just didn't, but I have never said. outright, anything was over rated without making it clear it was my opinion and not fact.
I am not backing down, I clearly stated in my first post it wasn't for us meaning it may very well be for others, sheesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 12:09 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,886,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
When we had our travel trailer, we used to leave places early because we did everything we wanted to do at that particular destination and still had time left. So, we'd go to another place and do things there.
That makes sense, not locked into flights, might as well move on and explore more

Old 09-17-2017, 12:23 PM

11,689 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Can't say that I have, but I've definitely wanted to on several occasions, namely when I was traveling with people who just weren't very pleasant to deal with. But these cases were all overseas, and I was determined to get the most out of my trip, even if it meant going it alone for some things.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:43 PM

3,887 posts, read 1,651,610 times
I don't remember the trip, or why we left early, but we got home around 3pm on a sunny day, every light in the house and both TVs were on. The hot tub cover was off and the jets were on. Our house sitter was fast asleep.

He managed to use as much electricity in 3 days as we normally use in a month. We never had him stay again.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:09 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,989,022 times
We have been fortunate that we had never had to cut a vacation short.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:28 PM

2,952 posts, read 1,637,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, now you are backing down. I can buy it wasn't for you. I have traveled places that weren't for me; I have cruised on cruise lines others liked and I just didn't, but I have never said. outright, anything was over rated without making it clear it was my opinion and not fact.
I think we all got that it was an opinion and not a fact except you. Isn't that how all our perceptions work?

Frankly I agree with her, was there once and that was more than enough.

Where do you get she is backing down? Why are you so defensive?

For those Aruba lovers, I have a friend who has a time share there and would love to get rid of it. She says she has found places now more to her liking.

I had to extend a vacation. Once in Italy cause I got the flu. And once in Paris cause I forgot what day it was.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:57 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

For those Aruba lovers, I have a friend who has a time share there and would love to get rid of it.
I'm taking a guess here: 80% of those that have a time share would love to get rid of it. No matter where it is.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:15 PM

3,987 posts, read 3,255,234 times
(Scratches head)...

Never, not once.

As an adult, I have mostly traveled alone. That avoids 80% the hassle. I doubt I'm easy to travel with, either. Given I have a fuse approximately 1/8" long for BS, on an especially easygoing day, that would follow. I'm single and have never, not once, traveled with a woman and not gotten into some sort of drama over (essentially nothing), to which I respond with (absolutely nothing, continuing on with my vacation).

So, I travel alone by-and-large for mini-jaunts (less than a week, usually three days). Longer, seems to be as a part of a group or team and we have some sort of mission to accomplish anyway, so that's different. I've never been a trip longer than three weeks that wasn't part of a high-performance team, come to think of it. Never. We've powered through minor trouble a few times and kept to the goal/mission.

No relatives I care about, rest are dead to me and haven't been in contact for half a decade or many decades. Bad news at work can be handled by peers and underlings, and they've always risen to the challenge. If friends die, that's a bummer but nothing I can solve from where I am. It is pure luck there have never been wars or natural disasters to interrupt my trips. I've never gotten violently ill, which is 25% luck and 75% me using either LifeStraw or LifeSaver (bottle) water filtration.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:09 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,671,394 times
We once went to Florida and had the Auto Train booked for the way home. However, there was a threat of a hurricane (Hurricane Frances in 2004), and the Auto Train called us about two days before we were booked to leave and told us the train was cancelled. So we hopped in our car a couple days early and headed toward home. We made an unscheduled stop in Savannah, GA for the night after many hours on the road and then headed back home to DC.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:52 PM

163 posts, read 182,463 times
Yes. We arrived in Miami for a week's vacation. By the time we went to dinner, Miami was under a hurricane watch. When we returned to our room the hotel had left a note asking us to evacuate by morning. Well, they didn't need to tell me twice!
By 4 am the next morning, we were at the airport trying to get out of Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or