U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:26 PM

30,348 posts, read 27,817,656 times

Advertisements

I seem to find that the prices are not that much lower (if at all) than what the hotel themselves can provide. I like dealing directly with the hotel/airlines myself because if there is a problem they are the ones that I can talk with not some third party at a distant location over the phone or internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 04:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 5,233,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I seem to find that the prices are not that much lower (if at all) than what the hotel themselves can provide. I like dealing directly with the hotel/airlines myself because if there is a problem they are the ones that I can talk with not some third party at a distant location over the phone or internet.
This!

Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,837,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You aren't doing any research and are expecting to get a $500 a night hotel for $50 and that's not going to happen.

I spend a couple of hours researching and always end up with fantastic results.

Go to BiddingForTravel.com - The informed Priceline Travel Bidding Forum or Forums - Priceline and Hotwire Hotels, Bidding Help, Hotel Lists, Forum and start reading.

A little bit of research goes a long way.

I've been bidding since the site came out and have never once been disappointed.

I also never bid for anything below 3 stars.
For a few years, I used to visit the bidding for travel site for all our trips, and had some pretty good results... $99/night at the Marriott Waikiki, $70/night at the Omni in Philadelphia, $65/night at the Hyatt Regency in Boston, etc. This was several years ago, but still good deals at the time. There are definitely ways to improve your chances on these bidding sites, but they require some effort.

Now that we're older, we value service and perks more than getting the lowest price, so we always book direct with the hotels.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 10-06-2017 at 10:21 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 06:28 PM

11,734 posts, read 6,309,771 times
I prefer Priceline's Express Deals, particularly for hotels. Also, there are tricks/sites to find out which hotel you're getting even if its technically "hidden" before you're approved. I've found name your own price to not come even close to, for instance, car rental prices directly from services like Enterprise. When I was looking for a car rental in NYC via name your own price, I had already found a quote from the Enterprise website (at LGA) for $45/day. Thinking I could beat that price with name your own price, I tried for a better deal. Curious after my bids for $45 and $50 were too low, I bid all the way up to $75/day and was still told the bid was "too low"

Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 PM
gg

17,946 posts, read 18,272,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've never had a bad experience. I only bid on 4 star hotels and above in major cities. It's usually a Westin or Marriott, sometimes a W (not my fave but okay$. I use the betterbidding site to help determine which one I'll end up with at a certain price point.
I also never had a bad experience. Always great, but I go 4 star and up.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:10 PM

9,216 posts, read 9,286,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Unless you are a poor college student or really strapped for cash, Priceline Name Your Own Price option is pure garbage. Every-time I "win" a bid it ends up being a dump, and I don't say that very often. The hotels are often 1-2 stars below what the site advertises. The hotels more often than not have lackluster reviews and many are 20-30 years past their prime. Some hotels are so decrepit, they should pay people to stay there. I have also at times said "screw it" and re-booked at a different hotel even if that means I'm out 50,60,70 bucks.
There's an old saying in life: "You get what you pay for".

It doesn't matter how it is advertised. If it is cheap than there is a reason. Quality hotel rooms take money to build and maintain. You can look around many cities and communities and see formerly good hotels that have deteriorated. The first sign is when they lose their affiliation with Holiday Inn, Hilton, or Best Western Motels.

Its a lesson that too me longer to learn than it should have. However, markets are very efficient at allocating resources. You want a good anything than you have to pay for it. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 PM

287 posts, read 781,484 times
I use AirBnb everywhere except Vegas. Even overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or