U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,988,338 times

Advertisements

Unless you are a poor college student or really strapped for cash, Priceline Name Your Own Price option is pure garbage. Every-time I "win" a bid it ends up being a dump, and I don't say that very often. The hotels are often 1-2 stars below what the site advertises. The hotels more often than not have lackluster reviews and many are 20-30 years past their prime. Some hotels are so decrepit, they should pay people to stay there. I have also at times said "screw it" and re-booked at a different hotel even if that means I'm out 50,60,70 bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 01:04 PM

9,805 posts, read 5,012,801 times
If you've had unsatisfactory results, why do you keep doing it?

Old 09-17-2017, 01:25 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,990,821 times
This is nothing new. I'm surprised they are still in business!

Old 09-17-2017, 01:30 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,430,396 times
I've never had a bad experience. I only bid on 4 star hotels and above in major cities. It's usually a Westin or Marriott, sometimes a W (not my fave but okay$. I use the betterbidding site to help determine which one I'll end up with at a certain price point.

Which hotels were so bad you had to leave? What was their star rating?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:54 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,781,814 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Unless you are a poor college student or really strapped for cash, Priceline Name Your Own Price option is pure garbage. Every-time I "win" a bid it ends up being a dump, and I don't say that very often. The hotels are often 1-2 stars below what the site advertises. The hotels more often than not have lackluster reviews and many are 20-30 years past their prime. Some hotels are so decrepit, they should pay people to stay there. I have also at times said "screw it" and re-booked at a different hotel even if that means I'm out 50,60,70 bucks.
I agree. I think it is nonsense. It is not worth staying at dump for save $20 bucks and ruin your vacation.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:14 AM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
You just don't know how to game their system. I book 4 star hotels using Name Your Own Price occasionally. It takes multiple web browsers. Multiple credit cards. Adding neighborhoods that don't have 4 star hotels as you gradually increase your price. For example, there are 2 four star hotels at Boston/Logan Airport. The Hilton which you never get and the Hyatt. Boston has a dozen neighborhoods that don't have any four star hotels. You add a neighborhood and bump the price a bit. Eventually, it stops letting you do it and you have to use a different login on a different browser and different credit card. Sometimes, the cheap price isn't available at all but I can usually get a $250 room for less than half price.

If you're letting it pick random 1 star pay-by-the-hour hotels, good luck to you. There are enough filters that you can prevent that from happening.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,559,991 times
There's a website or two out there that literally lists all the hotels under the Name Your Price thing, so it gives you a great idea of what you're bidding on in that particular area.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,430,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I agree. I think it is nonsense. It is not worth staying at dump for save $20 bucks and ruin your vacation.
Which star level did you bid on?

Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 807,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You just don't know how to game their system. I book 4 star hotels using Name Your Own Price occasionally. It takes multiple web browsers. Multiple credit cards. Adding neighborhoods that don't have 4 star hotels as you gradually increase your price. For example, there are 2 four star hotels at Boston/Logan Airport. The Hilton which you never get and the Hyatt. Boston has a dozen neighborhoods that don't have any four star hotels. You add a neighborhood and bump the price a bit. Eventually, it stops letting you do it and you have to use a different login on a different browser and different credit card. Sometimes, the cheap price isn't available at all but I can usually get a $250 room for less than half price.

If you're letting it pick random 1 star pay-by-the-hour hotels, good luck to you. There are enough filters that you can prevent that from happening.
Exactly.

I've been using it for ten years. Normally, I already knew which hotel(s) I would get before bidding. There aren't too many four star hotels in one neighborhood. Occasionally, there's a really awful four star hotel in a certain neighborhood, I just avoid bidding the neighborhood altogether.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,585,543 times
Well folks, bottom line is, "You get what you pay for"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or