U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:35 PM

285 posts, read 296,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They say for every one you see, there are a thousand hiding someplace. When we lived in California, roaches were a huge problem. They were everywhere. Several apartments had them, our church kitchen, hotels, we kept them mostly out of our house, but we woudl find them once in a while and fumigate. One time a year in Santa Ana for a few evenings at night, the streets would be crawling with thousands and thousands of them, The pavement was literally moving. (Shuddder). One time we were at a high end restaurant/bar in Newport beach and between bands a roach came out on the stage, stopped in the middle and kind of looked around for a while. I think he was waiting for applause. After a bit of silence, he just scampered off to find a more appreciative audience. We told the waitress and she just said "Yeah, they are around/"

We really did not fault a hotel or restaurant that had them. There was no way to keep them out.
Being a tropical location (Bahamas) and noted as "big", this one probably just wandered in from the outside. The little ones (German) are the ones that live/breed inside. The big guys come in looking for food and water. I live in Florida, have a spotless house, and I find a big boy maybe once a quarter. That being said, a roach in a hotel would be unacceptable, as would a bed bug (that would probably freak me out more!).

I travel a lot for work, and had suspected bed bug bites once, while staying in a nice hotel that I won't name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM

629 posts, read 493,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Being a tropical location (Bahamas) and noted as "big", this one probably just wandered in from the outside. The little ones (German) are the ones that live/breed inside. The big guys come in looking for food and water.
Yes and it was storming outside, so I am sure that both of the very large roaches snuck in from the outside. It was certainly not an infestation. Nonetheless, after an exhausting day of travel the last thing on earth you want when you're getting into bed (in an expensive hotel nonetheless) is to have one of those suckers run right across your bed. Really unsettling and when we saw the second one in our room overnight, it was terrible.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 PM

6,216 posts, read 2,874,385 times
Stayed in a lovely cabin in Jamaica...Loved it! So what if some critters scampered thru..I was just visiting..This was their habitat. It did take some getting used to..But by day four..I promised them that I'd send post cards when I got back to the states.
When on the islands...No worries Mon ..

Worse hotel stay..Fire on the 5th floor...We had to walk to the 10th...Wait on the roof line...The wind was chilling...And my friend and I had our little ones... 20 years later and we still talk about that night... It was one of those ...What mattered most moments...

Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,642,928 times
Quote:
They say for every one you see, there are a thousand hiding someplace. When we lived in California, roaches were a huge problem. They were everywhere. Several apartments had them, our church kitchen, hotels, we kept them mostly out of our house, but we woudl find them once in a while and fumigate. One time a year in Santa Ana for a few evenings at night, the streets would be crawling with thousands and thousands of them, The pavement was literally moving. (Shuddder). One time we were at a high end restaurant/bar in Newport beach and between bands a roach came out on the stage, stopped in the middle and kind of looked around for a while. I think he was waiting for applause. After a bit of silence, he just scampered off to find a more appreciative audience. We told the waitress and she just said "Yeah, they are around/"

We really did not fault a hotel or restaurant that had them. There was no way to keep them out.
Omg. Disgusting! Why is there so many roaches in Socal? Warm weather?

Old 09-20-2017, 05:22 AM

25,057 posts, read 23,942,176 times
Somewhere in VA, it might have been Warrenton, the toddler and I stayed in a motel. It was an unplanned stop, so I drove around and looked for a sign. I found a small chain place, and I recognized the name. It can't be too bad. I wasn't in the room 2 minutes when I noticed things moving on the carpeting. Upon closer inspection, I determined that the dozens of small, dark, maggoty looking things were probably slugs. I was too tired to do anything about it. I put my son's shoes on and told him to stay off of the floor. We ate our fast food take-out at the broken table. It fell over if it wasn't leaning against the wall. Murphy Brown rerun on TV.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:18 PM

16,468 posts, read 16,575,669 times
I am currently staying in a budget motel.

1st room I check in to, of course I did a check for bedbugs..........good thing, I found some snuggling-up to each other under the sheets. 2nd room, I wake-up after one night and my stomach is bloated, the non-smoking room stinks like cigarettes and I feel sick.......try to grit it out, but it is too much and I ask to be moved after the 2nd night. 3rd room is much better cigarette wise.....but I have someone right next door and it sounds and feels like they are doing aerobics for an hour or two at a time, a couple of times a day.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,440,098 times
Default Thanks for this

Quote:
A radio show this morning was asking people to call in with hotel/motel horror stories.

What are yours?

I have had a few. Not as bad as the guy who called in having once found his hotel room soaked in blood, but pretty disturbing:

In the 1980s we used to go from the Detroit area to NYC every year for New Years eve in Times Square. We never had any money, so we slept in the car, or in Grand Central Station, or just met people who let us stay with them. One year none of those options were workable, so we put our money together and rented a cheap room in a hotel in Newark NJ. I think it was $12 per night, but maybe that was the hourly rate, it was a while ago, I do not remember for certain. They did have an hourly rate, which should have warned us away, but we just needed a heated place to put our sleeping bags. The hotel was pretty gross. We found beer cans and balls of human hair under the bed. The comforter on the bed had brownish stains on it and smelled bad. The shower floor was covered with black goop that did not wash off. When we closed the door to the room, we discovered someone had written “Social Decay” on the back of the door with what appeared to be mustard (now brown, dry, and hard, but one of my friends smelled it and declared it to be mustard). There was not much room in the room. Not all of us could sleep on the floor in our sleeping bags, so we drew straws to see who had to sleep in the bed. Winner got to sleep on the floor with the beer cans and balls of human hair. Losers got the more disgusting bed. I got lucky and got to sleep on the floor. In the morning when are went to shower, we put the bed spread on the floor of the shower, so we did not have to stand in the black goop. Yes, the bedspread was disgusting, but not as likely to transmit plantar warts.

After spending the evening at times square, we arrived back at our room the following year, exhausted and a little drunk, to discover there was a rave party going on in the room next door. Actually I do not think rave parties were a thing yet. This was maybe where the idea got started. We tried to sleep, tried banging on the walls, tried to sleep, considered asking to join the party (but we were too tired, it was 3 - 4 a.m. give or take). A while later, we heard policemen call out and smash through the door. The music stopped, there was lots of thudding, screaming, swearing, and police hollering “don’t move” and other things. More flashing lights appeared through the curtains, so we looked out. There were two swat vehicles, three or four police cars and a big military looking truck with the back doors open that they were loading handcuffed people into. Swat guys with armor and big guns were everywhere. One of our guys went out to talk to the police (not sure why) and they turned their guns on him and told him get back into the room. Eventually they all left and we managed a few hours’ sleep. When we checked out, the door to the room next door was broken to pieces. We asked the guy at the desk about the event, and he just shrugged and gave no reply. To my knowledge, no one in our group ended up with fleas, lice or warts, so it was not a disaster. We did manage to get almost 6 hours of sleep more or less before we went back into the city. It got warmer that day, so we decided to sleep in our car.

More recently when we lived in California, a group of guys was on a pre-trip to Mexico to contact a local church where we would later lead a youth mission work group. The church had no phone, so we had to go down and visit to find out what their current needs were. We got a late start and did not want to arrive at 2 a.m. since they did not know we were coming, so we decided to stop at a hotel in Ensanada. We found a promising looking place on the beach that advertised rooms for $32 US. Since we had little money, that sounded great. We had 7 guys, so it might be tight, but it could not be worse than the social decay room in New Jersey could it?

One of the guys with us was of Mexican descent and spoke a little Spanish. He said, “you all stay in the car, I will negotiate, I have good negotiation skills and you always have to negotiate prices here. These are my people, they will give me a good deal if they do not see a bunch of gringos.” Twenty minutes later, he came back out and asked for more money. He had “negotiated” a room for $95, but they told him it was their best room. It was a suite with a kitchen, and after he told them we had 7 people (dummy), they said that was the only room we could be allowed in, otherwise we would need to rent three regular rooms and they did not have that many available.

We got the key and the room number (167). We found room 166 and room 168, but no 167. In between rooms 266 and 268 was a solid wood door, but there was no room number and no windows. Eventually, we tried our key and it unlocked the wood door which opened to reveal a janitors closet. After haranguing our friend about his great negotiations skills and discussing the fact there was not enough room in our “suite” for 7 guys, we went back to the front desk. Turned out our “suite” was a really nice, huge apartment like suite. Three bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room. It was on the first floor in a part of the hotel that jutted out onto the beach. There were no other rooms on either side or we had a wall of glass doors looking out onto the beach. We were only a few feet from the surf - awesome! We left the sliding glass doors open so we could go to sleep to the sound of crashing surf (and because the rooms smelled a bit funny).

I was sharing a room with the ‘negotiator.” Not wanting to share a bed, we discussed who would sleep on the sofa or floor. He said he had to have a night stand to put his contacts in their cleaning machine and still have them accessible in case he had to get up during the night. Remembering how gross the bed was in New Jersey years earlier, I gladly took the floor. Mr. Negotiator was bragging on about how awesome the suite was after we had given him such a hard time about his poor negotiation for a higher price to get a janitor closet. He was pointing out the nightstand next to the bed was perfect, it even had a drawer in it where he could put his wallet and keys to keep them safe . . . . “ergh!”. . . . . . . then he got very quiet. There was a used condom in the drawer.

That night, we discovered the part of the hotel that jutted out onto the beach was home to a popular night club – right above our room. In addition to the music and talking/laughter, the dancefloor was immediately above our bedroom and someone we determined to be a peglegged pirate was dancing up a storm “tap whack!; tap Whack! tap Whack” on the dance floor all night long. Peg leg had amazing stamina, he never seemed to stop dancing. Luckily the nightclub was not 24 hours and eventually closed, pegleg stopped dancing, the music and laughing faded away and we got to sleep. Sleep was fleeting however because at the first light of dawn, seagulls began greeting the sun. Thousands of them. The cacophony through our open sliding glass doors was deafening. Wearily we stumbled out to the beach and watched the sun rise. Finally the gulls quieted and we went back to bed. Then we discovered there was a three wheeled ATV rental place just outside our room. You know all those three wheeled ATVs that disappeared from the USA shortly after they were found to be very unsafe? They are all for rent on a beach in Ensenada – except the mufflers have fallen off most of them.

This was absolutely HILARIOUS!!!

Old 01-05-2018, 05:56 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,440,098 times
Default Thin walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I have a coworker who seems to be a sex addict. He has a Thai or ? facetime hooker on the phone at most times during the day. I had to go on a short trip and they put me right next to his room. The walls were thin and I could hear him talking to her "Are you sure you want to watch me do that?" AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
A few weeks ago while I was traveling during the holiday season, I had a 1- star hotel thanks to a discount website which falsely advertised it higher. It's been a very long time since I'd been in a hotel with paper thin walls. I'm a lite sleeper and about midnight I was awaken to a woman's voice with fake enthusiam "O. OH. OH" similiar to Santa's signature "Ho Ho Ho" over and over again and then their bedspring squeaked faster and faster. This seemed to go one for about 1-2 hours with no touchdown in sight. I wanted to bam on the wall and yell for two reasons: 1) to ask her to shut up and 2) to say to the man or whoever her partner was, surely you're not that stupid to be unable to tell this woman is making the fakest sound of pleasure EVER.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:13 PM

10,213 posts, read 4,079,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Yes and it was storming outside, so I am sure that both of the very large roaches snuck in from the outside. It was certainly not an infestation. Nonetheless, after an exhausting day of travel the last thing on earth you want when you're getting into bed (in an expensive hotel nonetheless) is to have one of those suckers run right across your bed. Really unsettling and when we saw the second one in our room overnight, it was terrible.
I grew up on the coast of Texas. Just two wood roaches in an evening would be considered a blessing. Quite civil.

There's a type of wood roach that flies - and they have this defense of flying right in your face if you're trying to stomp them. Very, very effective. You're getting ready to squash them and whoosh up they fly and hit you right in the face.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,038,595 times
We booked a room in a nice hotel in Kerrville, Texas last year. We spent the morning exploring the town, checked into the hotel and spent the rest of the day hiking. We returned to the hotel after dinner dog-tired and ready to turn in early. Around 1 am we were awakened by loud banging noises from the corridor. I got up, cracked the door, and looked up and down the hall but no one was out there. The noise stopped and we went back to sleep, only to be awakened again about a half hour later by loud shrieking and more banging and crashing noises. I called the front desk and they said they’d take care of it. Once again the noise stopped but soon resumed with even more screaming, yelling and pounding. Just as we were about to call downstairs again, it stopped. All was quiet the rest of the night, but we didn’t sleep well and finally got up around 6 am and decided to go get breakfast. As we left our room we saw a hotel employee, with her hands over her face, standing in the hall outside a room two doors down from ours. We walked over and looked into the room. Everything, and I mean every single thing, in that room was broken, defaced or damaged. Every lamp was broken, either pulled from the wall or bent. All the mirrors were broken. The window was cracked, the curtains were slashed. The TV was smashed. The mattress was sliced as were the sheets and coverlets. The chairs and sofa were slashed and broken as were the desk and table. The door was pulled off the mini fridge, the microwave was in pieces on the floor, the dresser drawers were broken and the bathroom mirror, sink and toilet seat were also broken. The shower curtain was shredded and the shower rod was pulled from the wall. The closet door was broken. Even the wastebaskets were broken! And every surface including the floor and the ceiling was covered with tons of paint blobs of every color. Once they were done with trashing the room they apparently had a paintball fight.

We spoke with management on our way out and were told that the room was rented by a couple of younger people who made the reservation on the internet and paid with a stolen credit card. They and a few other people were finally evicted by the night manager at about 3 am and just realized that their payment was fraudulent and they didn’t have a license plate or drivers licence.

They comped our stay, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel