U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:51 PM

4,387 posts, read 1,663,688 times

Advertisements

I can only think of one hotel in my life where I couldn't either tolerate or resolve issues. We stayed one night at a motel in Jackson TN, using one of those discount coupons in a book at the rest area, which basically offers a double room at a single rate, which means you don't have to lie and sneak in the second occupant. It was off-season and coldish, and we couldn't get any heat in the room, they tried to fix it and couldn't, so they moved us to another room, and there was no heat in there, either, so we went to sleep and got up in the morning and left grumbling.

Every other hotel I stayed at was reasonable for the price, but the one in Djibouti last year, just barely. Sometimes you have to adjust your expectations and entitlement to allow for a world in which some of your servants are imperfect., and its not worth the bother to have them caned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 09:13 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,642,459 times
Years ago we were in Detroit for my green card application/interview process, Detroit is 300+ miles away so we decided to stay overnight. Husband (now a very ex hub) announces that he used to live in Detroit so books us a hotel / motel and we end up at the Red Roof Inn in Hamtramck, what a lovely area the door to the room had no fewer than 5 locks on it, even the bathroom door had 2 (safe space anyone?) unfortunately the window did not and would not close. This wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't been carrying my life with me in folders (all the information for my green card application / interview). I ended up sleeping with my entire bag by my pillow. Couldn't wait to get out of there in the morning.
Turns out the ex had lived in Pontiac until he was about 5 years old before his family moved north as part of the 'white flight'

Old 01-07-2018, 08:41 AM

26,520 posts, read 62,937,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
When you "wing it" on less than a dime? That's when you meet the most interesting people alive. That's when you get a sense of perspective.
The luxury trips all blur together, nice, relaxing, but not particularly memorable. However I can remember every single "wing it" trip we ever did. So can the kids. Meeting the coolest people ever. One waitress invited us to a community barbeque and introduced us around as if we were old friends. It was funny because she said "You do not want to eat the crap we serve here. Just get a snack and come with me to the Town "Bake on the Lake" (It was a chain, Pizza hut maybe?). If you are clearly wealthy, the working people do not want to talk to you, but if you are on their level, they open up and you discover some of the best people in the world and get some amazing opportunities. Certainly there is some risk involved, but as with all things, without risk there is little reward. While you are sitting on a beach having someone bring you Mohitos and making certain not scurrilous persons come anywhere near you, I am screaming down a trail on a borrowed dirt bike to the secret local hang out where you can jump off a cliff into a clear river pool and sharing a case of beer with three new friends and whomever i am traveling with.

Admittedly that is much better suited for younger people. I cannot do a lot of the heavy active things I used to discover traveling on the cheap, but I still enjoy meeting people on a real level better than anything else. To me life is an adventure. If a trip does not generate great memories and stories to tell, it is not worthwhile.

One of our favorite things to do on a trip is to ride the subway in NYC for hours and just meet people. that guy playing the drums at the station stop - he has a story and he knows the city and can tell you the coolest things to do that you would otherwise never knew existed. Give him $5 and half an hour, and he will tell you everything. He might even tag along.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM

272 posts, read 115,429 times
I had to wing it in Salt Lake City and got a rando room at a trailer park motel, bad choice. I had a door that wouldn't close properly and a toilet not hooked up right. Bathroom shower didn't work nor did that door close properly. Bad experience, I'd rather pay top dollar at a 4 or 5 star place now

Old 01-07-2018, 03:06 PM

7,410 posts, read 12,943,331 times
Nothing like having a threesome going on in the next room and both "ladies" were very loud "moaners". I could handle screamers because they usually don't scream for long. Moaners moan just about the entire time "anything" is going on. Called the front desk but they never did anything.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:58 PM

56,026 posts, read 54,537,410 times
The NYC/Newark story is hilarious. Welcome to New Jersey, where the weak are killed and eaten. Newark is a special place all its own. You know its bad when there are billboards paid for by the city teachers' association that say "STOP THE KILLINGS IN NEWARK".

It's also pretty interesting that somebody went to Times Square on New Year's Eve more than once. I knew someone who went once and said never again, and even though I have lived in Northern NJ all my life and worked in NYC for 37 years, that is the only person I ever knew to go there because people from here just don't do that.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,583,756 times
While a college student & driving home for the holidays one year, I stopped to sleep in Ohio in the cheapest place I could find near the interstate, it was called "Budgetel". Spare room with just the basics, thin carpet, cinderblock walls painted gray.

A couple of hours in I noticed more noise coming from the adjoining room until it became obvious that it was filled with people who were having a drunken party, they were bikers. After a while the yelling got intense with loud music & bottles being thrown at the cinder block wall we shared.

No, I didn't go over & tell them to keep it down. I didn't get much sleep & left early.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:16 AM

17,258 posts, read 10,183,539 times
I had only one really bad experience years ago when I stayed at a Motel 6 in an East Bay California city. All night long a group of teenagers went on a rampage for hours all over the motel. I cowered in my room and left as soon as noise died down.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 AM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
A few weeks ago while I was traveling during the holiday season, I had a 1- star hotel thanks to a discount website which falsely advertised it higher. It's been a very long time since I'd been in a hotel with paper thin walls. I'm a lite sleeper and about midnight I was awaken to a woman's voice with fake enthusiam "O. OH. OH" similiar to Santa's signature "Ho Ho Ho" over and over again and then their bedspring squeaked faster and faster. This seemed to go one for about 1-2 hours with no touchdown in sight. I wanted to bam on the wall and yell for two reasons: 1) to ask her to shut up and 2) to say to the man or whoever her partner was, surely you're not that stupid to be unable to tell this woman is making the fakest sound of pleasure EVER.
You should have banged on the wall to ask what the guy had taken to keep it going 1-2 hours!

Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 AM

2,833 posts, read 2,749,136 times
A few years back I was traveling through the Yukon and after a long day of driving tried to stop at a town that usually has plenty of motel/hotel rooms for the night. Unfortunately for me every room in the town was booked as "Alcan 5000" motorcycle/car event was passing through. I was finally told about a place a few miles up the road that possibly had rooms. Off I went. This was the last possible boarding accommodations for this night for the next 200 miles at least.

I arrived at this small bar/motel with like 4 rooms a few minutes later right at the same time as two older gentlemen who were also looking for a room. An old German lady who owned the place came out and said she only had single king bed rooms and that there was no way she was renting one to two guys (presumably assuming me and the older gentleman were gay) in her thick German accent.

We explained we were unaffiliated and needed seperate rooms and she rented me the room. She then refused to rent a single king room to the remaining two older gentlemen on grounds that it was two guys and no way again. It was her last room. They explained they were brothers and not gay and she made an exception and reluctantly rented them the last room. They headed to the motel "bar" and we headed to the room to get some much needed sleep after a long days drive.

I go inside the room and there is NO lock. Nothing. Not a chain, or anything. Literally no way to lock the door. Ok cool, whatever, we are in the middle of the Yukon in a podunk motel there's no need for a lock anyways I'll just go to sleep. At this point I'll add I rented this desperate motel room with my wife and two kids all sleeping sideways with me on the one king bed. Finally, end of story, we get some shut eye after a long day of driving.......

As soon as a drifted off into sleep, wondering if Bigfoot or a Yukon savage man was going to murder me and my family due to the no lock policy this motel has I heard the door open. I was suddenly awoken by two older gentlemen (the same ones from earlier) walking into our room and making themselves at home. Since the door had no lock, they had mistakenly walked right in after the night at the motel bar and turned on the lights. They were as surprised as I was. They apologized profusely for walking into the wrong room and went one door over to their assigned room.

Anyways one of my more memorable hotel experiences. I have a couple other good ones, all involving the Alaska highway and Northern Canada roadside motels I'll possibly come back to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel