U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 AM

9,781 posts, read 5,000,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Thanks again everyone. We have been to Montreal and Chicago and both are great. Agree about the humidity in SC and GA in the summer, but I'm hoping/thinking early June wouldn't be too bad. I used to live in North Carolina and remember how terrible August was.
June in Asheville usually isn't bad. It's cooler and less humid than the rest of the state. You can spend a day enjoying Biltmore, spend a day on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and a day strolling around downtown.

If you go to Biltmore though, I would get tickets early. It's going to be crowded with the Dale Chihuly exhibit opening in May. (Which, IMO, is reason enough to go!! I'm excited about this exhibit!)
Chihuly at Biltmore - Daytime
Chihuly Nights at Biltmore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 11:42 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
You can do both Charleston and Savannah if you rent a car and get a taste of both cities, but will be hot and humid in June
Quebec City, Halifax I would think June weather would be better than the above for walking and exploring

Old 09-19-2017, 02:21 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,299,023 times
I would vote QBC. One of the coolest, most unique places in North America.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
I'm turning 40 in June and my wife and I would like to spend 3 nights someplace fun and interesting that is reachable by air from NYC in under 3 hours or so. We're not interested in beach destinations and were thinking something either culturally interesting and/or beautiful - we like architecture and natural beauty, and prefer walkable cities that we can spend hours exploring by foot.

A few thoughts of places that we've never been are Quebec City, Halifax, Charleston, Savannah and Nashville. I'd love to hear any other suggestions or comments on those options. Thanks!
If you are willing to stretch your flight time a little, I would suggest Iceland. Even though you are spending more time in the air the time differences work out well so you don't really lose much time on the ground if you left Thursday evening and return on a Monday.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 PM

629 posts, read 492,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
If you are willing to stretch your flight time a little, I would suggest Iceland. Even though you are spending more time in the air the time differences work out well so you don't really lose much time on the ground if you left Thursday evening and return on a Monday.
Thanks. We absolutely LOVE Iceland but want to do a return visit when we're traveling with our daughter (age 4) who loves looking at pictures of our trip from before she was born. This is strictly a 3 night thing without her, and I really can't stretch the timing because 3 days and 3 nights of babysitting is already very taxing on my in laws. So really we want a situation where we can catch a morning flight and be at our destination just a couple of hours later.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You can do both Charleston and Savannah if you rent a car and get a taste of both cities, but will be hot and humid in June
Quebec City, Halifax I would think June weather would be better than the above for walking and exploring
Thanks. With only 3 nights and not wanting to move around too much, we'd probably pick 1 of the cities and save the other for a return trip. Canadian airfare seems to be a lot more expensive (perhaps because of int'l fees and taxes) so I have a feeling we're going to end up in one of Charleston/Savannah/Asheville/Nashville.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:08 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,758,877 times
Quote:
Thanks again everyone. We have been to Montreal and Chicago and both are great. Agree about the humidity in SC and GA in the summer, but I'm hoping/thinking early June wouldn't be too bad. I used to live in North Carolina and remember how terrible August was.
Depending on where you go in SC or GA in June, it can be absolutely miserable. If you stick to the coast, it's not as bad, but it's still wicked hot and flipping humid. Just avoid peak hurricane season!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,772,570 times
Why not go upstate and tour some area? It'd be cheaper and less stressful bc you don't have to worry about the flights going well.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 PM

3,294 posts, read 1,559,725 times
Newport, Rhode Island for the mansions tour. great location for 3 days of visits to the old playground of the rich.

or on to Massachusetts, and visit the 2 islands, for old town feel

or tour the sites of Washington DC

St. Augustine, Florida for a tour of the First Spanish city of the USA.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Why not go upstate and tour some area? It'd be cheaper and less stressful bc you don't have to worry about the flights going well.
My wife and I lived in upstate NY for college and have been back many times since for reunions, and we're kind of looking for someplace new this time around. Lots of great things to see and do upstate though for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or