U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2017, 07:58 PM
 
Location: world
1,532 posts, read 665,242 times
Reputation: 669

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
19 is a full grown woman. Hardly a "child".
Agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 PM
 
8,974 posts, read 8,093,468 times
Reputation: 19488
My wife and I use Visa Debit Cards. We have not had a Credit Card for 25 years as we don't need one. As an example I recently bought on the phone several thousands of dollars worth of Red Oak flooring from a distant state to get the quality and price I was looking for.

Ordered it using my cell phone, found the cost, called my bank on my wife's cell phone and got the limit raised to cover this amount for this one supplier, while on the line with the oak supplier on mine, and in minutes I had purchased and paid for the flooring.

I do it this way, as we do not need credit, and can use the debit card keeping a few hundred dollar limit, so if someone hits it they are not going to get much. If we are traveling, and need the limit raised, we have the limits raised for the period of time we will be traveling and atomically returns to normal limits end of that period.

I have never had any place refuse my debit card for lodging, or other normal expense. They run the card and if it clears putting the money in their account that is all they are interested in. There is always enough money in that account to cover every day expenses, and one phone call and I can buy anything I want to pay for if I want to raise the limit.

A lot different that when I had 2-$500,000 lines of credit I used to buy, and sell real estate with when in the business.

A lot of people I know, do not use credit cards as they are too easy to hit if stolen, or someone gets your card information. We use debit cards, with lower daily limits for safety, and can get our limits raised as needed for individual large purchases in a matter of 5 minutes or less. I choose to do it by phone call, not by doing it all electronic. The people I call at the bank know me personally, and know who they are making the changes for. Less chance of account theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
5,179 posts, read 2,078,868 times
Reputation: 6839
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Make sure she is ABLE to check in at 19.

Many hotels require the main guest to be 25+.

The hotels I managed in Myrtle Beach would not have allowed a 19 year old to check in.

All hotels ask for ID.
Motel 6. Anyone over 18 can check in at most locations, if they have an ID and cash. Plus most independent motels would probably be fine, if you call ahead and tell them the girl's age in advance.

Occupancy at Motel6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 07:24 AM
 
6,604 posts, read 3,736,021 times
Reputation: 13655
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My wife and I use Visa Debit Cards. We have not had a Credit Card for 25 years as we don't need one. As an example I recently bought on the phone several thousands of dollars worth of Red Oak flooring from a distant state to get the quality and price I was looking for.

Ordered it using my cell phone, found the cost, called my bank on my wife's cell phone and got the limit raised to cover this amount for this one supplier, while on the line with the oak supplier on mine, and in minutes I had purchased and paid for the flooring.

I do it this way, as we do not need credit, and can use the debit card keeping a few hundred dollar limit, so if someone hits it they are not going to get much. If we are traveling, and need the limit raised, we have the limits raised for the period of time we will be traveling and atomically returns to normal limits end of that period.

I have never had any place refuse my debit card for lodging, or other normal expense. They run the card and if it clears putting the money in their account that is all they are interested in. There is always enough money in that account to cover every day expenses, and one phone call and I can buy anything I want to pay for if I want to raise the limit.

A lot different that when I had 2-$500,000 lines of credit I used to buy, and sell real estate with when in the business.

A lot of people I know, do not use credit cards as they are too easy to hit if stolen, or someone gets your card information. We use debit cards, with lower daily limits for safety, and can get our limits raised as needed for individual large purchases in a matter of 5 minutes or less. I choose to do it by phone call, not by doing it all electronic. The people I call at the bank know me personally, and know who they are making the changes for. Less chance of account theft.
Interesting. I use one credit card for almost everything, incl utility bills if I can. (1) I get cash back rewards. (2) It offers some protection against a faulty charge amount or product defect. (3) It has fraud protection. (4) It's easy.

I occasionally use my debit card, but only the charge credit part of it, so I don't have to use a PIN. Using a PIN at merchants is very dangerous, security-wise. The card # and PIN go into that merchant's database system and may not be secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Reputation: 7694
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I wouldn't add her to your credit card. That makes YOU ultimately responsible for anything SHE charges. She could screw up your credit.

She's an adult. She needs a credit card of her own.
Though the rules have gotten tougher for under-21s or so in recent years because of what was seen as predatory actions by the credit card companies. (I remember having something like a $10K credit limit on my cards in the 90s on an annual income of less than $3K so I can rather see the point)

I would also be careful about budget hotels- there are some that are great, safe, clean, and everything, and others, even national chains, where there are problems with druggies and prostitution. Read reviews carefully of cheap hotels, throwing out the top 20% and bottom 20% to get a more accurate feel. As I woman ,I also really, really prefer interior corridor hotels to exterior corridor hotels from a safety standpoint- everyone has to go past the front desk or past a security camera at a back entrance to get access to room areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 08:21 AM
 
5,408 posts, read 2,330,862 times
Reputation: 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Though the rules have gotten tougher for under-21s or so in recent years because of what was seen as predatory actions by the credit card companies. (I remember having something like a $10K credit limit on my cards in the 90s on an annual income of less than $3K so I can rather see the point)

I would also be careful about budget hotels- there are some that are great, safe, clean, and everything, and others, even national chains, where there are problems with druggies and prostitution. Read reviews carefully of cheap hotels, throwing out the top 20% and bottom 20% to get a more accurate feel. As I woman ,I also really, really prefer interior corridor hotels to exterior corridor hotels from a safety standpoint- everyone has to go past the front desk or past a security camera at a back entrance to get access to room areas.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Reputation: 24136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Interesting. I use one credit card for almost everything, incl utility bills if I can. (1) I get cash back rewards. (2) It offers some protection against a faulty charge amount or product defect. (3) It has fraud protection. (4) It's easy.

I occasionally use my debit card, but only the charge credit part of it, so I don't have to use a PIN. Using a PIN at merchants is very dangerous, security-wise. The card # and PIN go into that merchant's database system and may not be secure.


Old Trader, you're basic advice may be a good plan for you, but let's be real: most people don't have "thousands of dollars" in their checking accounts like you do. They don't have resources to credit lines of $200k+ like you do. The bankers don't know them personally, let alone know their voice over the phone.

I am NOT advocating abusing credit cards. But I'd bet the majority of people would have to pay for "thousands of dollars of Red Oak flooring" by spreading the payments over several months - using cc, a line of credit on their house, or skipping those important 401k contributions.

Old Trader, you need to recognize the reality of the financial status of others in this country.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/29/here...-paycheck.html

Furthermore, if some bad guy gets his/her hands on a debit card, you are NOT as protected as you are with a credit card. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...er-061416.html I know that most banks have fraud protection IF YOU REPORT THE FRAUD WITHIN TWO DAYS. That's an important distinction.

And if a checking account gets cleaned out, it can take WEEKS or longer to get that money back into your account. You know what happens to everybody else who doesn't have the resources that you do? They miss rent payments and risk eviction. They miss mortgage payments and screw up their credit.

I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about this stuff. I have resources to cover my risks. But, dude, your advice is way off the mark for most people in reality land. It's unrealistic and flat out BAD ADVICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 AM
 
3,630 posts, read 7,238,048 times
Reputation: 4874
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
19 is a full grown woman. Hardly a "child".
But mom is treating her like one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM
 
3,932 posts, read 7,517,805 times
Reputation: 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
But mom is treating her like one.
Although 19 is "adult," hotels and car rental companies still have different rules for them. If this parent were treating the 19-year-old as a kid, the girl wouldn't be going on the trip to begin with. It is wise to think ahead on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 AM
 
609 posts, read 373,952 times
Reputation: 1478
Will she be able to get a credit card? When I was 19, credit card companies were handing out cards like they were candy. Now everything I hear, rules are much more strict. Well, lawmakers cracked down because the public was fed up about predatory banks hunting college students, and in turn the CC companies tightened up their rules about approvals. Legally a 19-y.o. could get a CC, but would have to demonstrate some sort of steady income (not just a part-time job) to get approved.

She should be able to pay for the room with her debit card though. Like with rental cars, they will probably put a hefty hold on her card until check-out.

Most hotels are actually franchises so there's no chain policy about age restrictions--that includes Motel 6. It's up to the local franchise owner. That includes all of Hilton Brands, Starwood, Wyndham, Marriott, and Millenium Brands. Choice Group is one of the few that has a national policy...21 is the minimum age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top