U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 PM

51,900 posts, read 41,774,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
How about add her name to your card? It would help building her credit. Just make sure to check the statement diligently and set the spending limit clearly.
Great advice, I did this with my kids circa age 16 (or earlier) and it works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 03:25 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,166,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We use our debit cards for everything without issue.
There is no reason to get a credit card, use cash only, stay out of debt.
Absolutely. I was in credit management a good portion of my adult life, and I saw way too many people ruin their lives because of the ease of using credit cards. I live off of my debit card and have traveled quite a bit with only it in my wallet. I also check my bank balance every morning to make sure no one has played any games with my account.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:49 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Absolutely. I was in credit management a good portion of my adult life, and I saw way too many people ruin their lives because of the ease of using credit cards. I live off of my debit card and have traveled quite a bit with only it in my wallet. I also check my bank balance every morning to make sure no one has played any games with my account.
Also easy enough to check your credit card balance every day to see if anything is amiss. It's not like it's 1983 or even 1993 when the credit card statement was something of a mystery that arrived in the mailbox in a fat white envelope every month. You can even check it on your cell phone- all the major issuers have their own app these days.

One of the reasons why I like American Express is that they give reward points based on everything you put onto the card, not just on what the balance is on statement closing day. I will literally pay with my AmEx, walk out of a store or hotel, go into the parking lot and use my phone to move money from my checking account to the card via my credit union's online bill pay before I leave the parking lot. On general bill-paying day, I also pay my utility bills (except for electric- that one charges a fee for that) by AmEx and then pay that AmEx charge from checking. Takes maybe an extra 30 seconds per bill.

I think the last time we carried a balance was maybe 2006 when we used a balance transfer offer to finance a big furniture purchase for something like 3% annual rate and we paid it off in, IIRC, three months. And we're the norm in America- statistic I found was that in 2014, only 34% of American households carried a balance on their credit card in a typical month.

You do not need a major credit card to travel the world, but there are ways they make it cheaper and easier. We save hundreds every year on car rentals with American Express' premium primary car rental insurance that's good everywhere in the world we'd want to go except Italy and Australia and runs $15 per rental (Florida resident rate) instead of $25-$40 per day for CDW/'Super Cover'.

I also finally gave i and got the AmEx Delta card this year, because they were offering a sign up bonus of a free round trip award ticket to Europe and all we had to do is run our grocery spending (pay the grocery bill off in the parking lot) and utilities (extra 30 seconds per bill on bill-paying day) for about three months to hit the spending requirement. Will probably keep the card next year when the annual fee kicks in because we will do 2 domestic round trips in a year and the annual fee is less than baggage charges for that. I actually like checking a bag instead of feeling like a turtle carrying my entire home on my back through another ATL connection.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:08 AM

15,396 posts, read 5,209,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree. She should get her own credit card, and start working on her own credit history. She is old enough to handle small purchases like hotel room.
I agree and if she abuse's it she will not harm your credit! All so go to a grocery store they sell re fillable cards Visa or MasterCard with up to $500 limit. It's a pre paid card that can be refilled.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:55 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,635,825 times
If you are disciplined enough for debit card, you are for credit card. You can pay it off at the end of the month and not to carry a balance.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 PM

2,887 posts, read 3,213,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We use our debit cards for everything without issue.
There is no reason to get a credit card, use cash only, stay out of debt.
Really depends. For people who charge more than they can afford to pay back, this is good advice. But I use my credit card for absolutely everything possible and just pay off the balance at the end of the month, primarily for the points. Haven't paid for flights in YEARS. And my credit score is fantastic. One of the reasons I encouraged my kids to get credit cards at the start of college is so they could begin to build their credit. They don't charge much on it (maybe $25-$50 a month?) but that's better than nothing. When they go to sign a lease for an apartment upon graduating (among other examples) I don't want them to be held back due to lack of credit history. Because that can definitely happen.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:51 AM

5,183 posts, read 2,083,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If you are disciplined enough for debit card, you are for credit card. You can pay it off at the end of the month and not to carry a balance.
If you have the money at the end of the month to pay the balance off. Credit and debit cards are not the same. They are apples and oranges. Especially if you have a limited income, a debit card could be your solution.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:29 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,518,281 times
How about you booking the hotel thru some website like Expedia online with your credit card and send your daughter printout and confirmation? Only thing Hotel will need is your daughter ID while checking in. She will not need any credit card and your card stays with you only.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:45 AM

9,786 posts, read 5,000,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
How about you booking the hotel thru some website like Expedia online with your credit card and send your daughter printout and confirmation? Only thing Hotel will need is your daughter ID while checking in. She will not need any credit card and your card stays with you only.
Even when you book through sites like Expedia, you still need to present some form of payment upon arrivals to cover incidentals.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:03 AM

1,356 posts, read 545,573 times
I always make hotel bookings on behalf of my daughters. Most websites allow you to place your credit card to secure the reservation for your daughter. But hotels usually would ask her to present credit card for incidental charge even if it has been prepaid. Many hotel websites and even booking websites tell you about the check-in age, ranging between 18-21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or