Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standingroom0nly View Post
These are great options depending on how flexible you are. ... There are REALLY good discounts for monthly stays and off season rates (we've gotten up to 70% off)..... I find I can find beautiful places in good locations on a budget when I plan ahead.
Yes, I use "Homeaway" for excellent LT stays in great locations. (Off season is usually a bargain).

I also like 'Farm-sitting', as few pursue that or are 'pre-trained' for the crisis that crop up. But Farmers like to take breaks too! (and the kids loved it!!! often 'free' horses / eggs / produce and fuel while you are staying, and no shortage of 'adventure' while tending a farm)

Hint: our kids really enjoyed / relaxed / appreciated a place to call 'their home' for awhile. But... Kids GREATLY increased relationships, opportunities to meet and interact with locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Yep airbnb can get some amazing deals for month stays. We stayed at one place for two weeks when we first got here and it was negotiated at 40% off, the one we're now is 50% and we're staying through end of November.

It's nice when you've been in town long enough to figure out where to get everything you need, I've got some chili cooking in a pot on the stove right now. Got the tomatoes/garlic/onions/poblanos/jalapenos/corn/garlic and chili powder at the outdoor market, the carne molida at the butcher, and cumin that I found at the expat gringo supermarket.

Also when you're somewhere long enough you feel better about buying a few things that you can't take with you. Couple of cheapo plastic stools, new shelf rack for the shower, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel