U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 PM

5,711 posts, read 8,618,291 times

Advertisements

Has anyone quit their job and traveled for an extended period (6 months+) OR are planning to do so in the near future? If so, are you planning to just save up and sustain your trip with savings, planning to earn money on the road or a combination of both? Where are you planning to go and for how long? What are your plans for returning to the workforce when you get back? Or are your plans that far out undetermined?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,676 posts, read 40,039,994 times
<$40k for 1 yr RTW. 100% was BORROWED funds (2.8% HELOC / Credit card). Worked out great, cuz I sold some properties while gone + my rental income props added $60K to my bank account while I was absent.

(most expense was for "Transportation"... rental cars / vans / air / train / fuel - food was HIGH but we usually ate local / grocery / fresh markets / co-ops)
Escaped USA from Oct 2015 until Oct 2016 (election yr = good time to be GONE), arrived home in time to vote, but there were still no viable candidates...

Departed on a One way ticket to OZ and winged it from there, following the long days and summer / spring westbound. Flowers / beach / WARMTH was great in Dec - March in NZ and Australia, headed to Indonesia, SE Asia, then Burma / took a ship from Dubai to Italy (all was unplanned and VERY cheap...) then did many countries in Europe via Discount carriers ~ 12 - 40 Euro / destination.

Used Hospitality Guest homes + volunteered at camps / retreat centers / vocational schools for free room and board (Only stayed in 8 hotels)

Rented camper vans (next time will BUY and resell)

Why on borrowed funds, and at that time?
1) It was an opportune time to leave (just had finished rebuilding some rental homes, had finished an international temp job)
2) Took a 1yr unpaid leave with understanding there might not be a job upon return (some risk involved)
3) PLANNED a 6 month leave, but boss said a yr was OK, so POOF - I was GONE!
4) While gone, 6 coworkers left employment in a 7 person staff (plenty of need to return)
5) Being GONE was great! coming home was great (but LOTS of 'catch-up / repairs' on farm and rural properties)
6) Not getting any younger, may croak any minute (Parents dropped out of life early)

• Keep a blog while gone (for family, friends, yourself, saved photos and comments)
  • Have accounts stable and multiple CC. (CC companies and banks disliked us logging on from a different country / location / Computer every few days) They froze us OUT a lot... wanting to txt us a code. We had left our US phones at home, cuz USA cell is worthless in most countries, and you can get SIM cards for CHEAP, and Asia phones (<$100) have 2-3 SIM cards at one time (multiple counties on same phone at same time)
  • use auto pay
  • Have someone stay in your home and feed the pets and plants and collect mail.
  • Have Power of Attorneys in place (medical and financial) (It was a challenge to close a property transaction from Portugal)
  • Be VERY flexible... terrorist activity in Brussels was tough on our 5 connections already booked.
  • What you MOST enjoy / is NOT what you plan...
  • Not rush to return home (enjoy the other cultures)
  • Live in one place for a few months (get to know local people and culture)
  • Don't go as a tourist. (We did very few tourist activies but LOTS of local events / volunteering / fun / work)
  • INCOME (jobs) is not ez in foreign countries (unless you are under age 31 in NZ or Australia) / work permit

Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,987,783 times
No I have not but I want to say...DO IT!!! If you're seriously thinking about it then it means you really want to, so please do it. I had ample opportunity and funds saved, but I just never felt like it was the right time. And now it is my number one regret. (And note I am well-traveled so it's not like I haven't been blessed to see a lot. Perhaps it is for this reason that I regret not taking the plunge and completely immersing myself in this world like a nomad)

I do plan to do this in the future but it's very different now with a family.

To answer your other questions:

We have a lot of passive income so should be able to manage as long as we're not extravagant about it. I'd also have to do some active work here and there, but having internet is all that I need to work on the road.

I would travel anywhere (almost), but priority would be Europe, Asia and cities throughout the US/Canada. Plan would be to let the kids decide where to go next...

Would plan to do a one-year trip and maybe more in the future.

No plans to return to the workforce...we run our own businesses. Wife perhaps would return to teach, which is what she's doing now.

I guess we are unique in our flexibility (financially) so my answers probably don't help you out much. But yes, please do it!!

Old 09-22-2017, 12:16 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,596,353 times
When I was young, 19yo, I just quit my job & bought a one way ticket & hit the road in Europe for 6 months, this was back in the Jurassic era before the internet, Lonely Planet guides, etc.... strictly the travelers' bush telegraph & pin-up boards at hostels & cafes then on the "hippy travelers' trail." Now at the other end of life's timeline I am looking at a similar idea, to move & live overseas for an extended time now that I'm retired, but pick one simpatico place to settle in.

If you are going to interrupt a career these days I would take care that you have more of a structured idea for continuing something on the road, look up "digital nomad" for starters.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:43 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,857,647 times
We will do that in the future. Our plan is to use a hub method. Pick a central location ie. Berlin Germany as central to Europe and make travel arrangements around that location coming back to Berlin to reset and research for the next location(s).

Old 09-23-2017, 08:41 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,909,823 times
Yeah man we quit our jobs to travel full time, has been over 26 months so far and still going.

It isn't travel like a few days here and there, we usually dig in for at least a month. So far on this trip we've been Asia -> Africa -> Europe and are currently in Central America, we'll be here in Guatemala for about three months before heading up to Mexico.

We sold the house and cars so we don't have anything to worry about back home.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:26 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,633,117 times
Traveling when you are young is something everyone should do... I find this nonsense about waiting until you retire and you have to hobble onto the plane with a cane a complete load of horse crap. Corporate America is all about control and enslaving people that's why they try and begrudge people that have a 6 month gap on their resume or something. Things like this are more accepted in Europe whereas in the U.S. it's viewed as someone slacking off or being lazy and not wanting to work or something.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:28 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,633,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yeah man we quit our jobs to travel full time, has been over 26 months so far and still going.

It isn't travel like a few days here and there, we usually dig in for at least a month. So far on this trip we've been Asia -> Africa -> Europe and are currently in Central America, we'll be here in Guatemala for about three months before heading up to Mexico.

We sold the house and cars so we don't have anything to worry about back home.
That's really awesome...don't suppose you've been blogging all of that or anything have you? Would be an interesting read.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:45 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,334,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Traveling when you are young is something everyone should do...
I think traveling throughout your life, young, middle-aged, retired, old, and everything in between is something everyone should do!

Old 09-23-2017, 11:05 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,857,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Traveling when you are young is something everyone should do... I find this nonsense about waiting until you retire and you have to hobble onto the plane with a cane a complete load of horse crap. Corporate America is all about control and enslaving people that's why they try and begrudge people that have a 6 month gap on their resume or something. Things like this are more accepted in Europe whereas in the U.S. it's viewed as someone slacking off or being lazy and not wanting to work or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think traveling throughout your life, young, middle-aged, retired, old, and everything in between is something everyone should do!
I also think that you should travel throughout life. But I am scratching my head at the comment that because I am retired I am hobbling about with a cane and having to squeeze into a plane with a walker. Hell I know a lot of retired people that still run marathons and do it in faster times than people half their age.

Just cause you feel that when you retire that you won't be able to travel doesn't mean you should lump everyone in that same motorized wheelchair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel