U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:55 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
until someone comes up with a definition or criteria that is used to "really experience" a place, the mere presence of occupying a physical place in an airport lounge, or in a taxi-hotel-taxi, or a car never straying 100 yds along I70 through the entire width of Kansas...will do just fine in satisfying been to a place.
I agree. I was recently in Las Vegas for approx 24 hours. I literally went Airport>Mandalay>Rio>Mandalay>Rio>Flamingo>Rio> Airport.

But by certain definitions I wasn't there, but did manage to play in a major poker tournament during that time (in addition to two others), but then again, perhaps I did not.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:03 AM

5,934 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Mod cut.

Since you were in a major poker tournament you qualify despite having never breathed outdoor air in the state of Nevada.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-01-2017 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 AM

1,528 posts, read 904,431 times
If someone mentions visiting a place and I've only stopped at the airport, I don't even feel a need to say "I've been to the airport". I simply say "oh, I've never been there". If they start talking about the airport and I have a view to share, then obviously it's appropriate but otherwise, it's just trying too hard to show you travel. I guess i've been to enough places where I don't feel inferior 'admitting' that I haven't been somewhere.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:22 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,047 times
No, but I do include states I've driven through as long as I stopped for lunch or gas. Perhaps I shouldn't.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:55 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,398,275 times
Yeah I dont think it counts unless you leave the airport. Bogota airport was nice, but it does not compare to actually visiting Colombia

Old 09-30-2017, 06:57 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,398,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
No, but I do include states I've driven through as long as I stopped for lunch or gas. Perhaps I shouldn't.
I think if you stopped for lunch that counts. Since youre tasting the local cuisine and ****

Old 10-01-2017, 05:11 PM

40,204 posts, read 15,179,596 times
I've been to the Zurich, Switzerland airport three times but I don't tell people I've been to Switzerland. If we're talking about airports, layovers, etc. I then will mention that I was in the Zurich airport a few times and purchased some chocolate during my last layover there.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:35 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times
If you never left the airport then I would say NO, you have never been there. If you actually leave the airport, then YES.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:55 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
For me, that would count. But I've ridden through parts of Colorado, Idaho, and a tiny sliver of Montana without stopping and setting foot out of the vehicle, which for me doesn't count. YMMV.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:41 PM

371 posts, read 284,214 times
If you did not leave the airport, than no, you did not visit that place/city/country.
I have a few countries that I stopped at but I do not include as a visit.
An exception would be Qatar. I had about a 9 hour layover there. I did purchase a visa, walked around Doha, dipped my feet in the Persian Gulf, had a tasty meal in a small neighborhood restaurant full of locals, and then caught my connecting flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or