U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,437,135 times

Advertisements

Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 12:05 PM

9,810 posts, read 5,486,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
OK, I visited Paris, Toronto, and Seoul. Now I claim I have visited Europe, the Americas and Asia.
Let's see, I've been as far north as England (overflight) or Japan (land). As far south as Ethiopia or Mindanao, both on land. As far east as Tehran or Bahrain and as far west as New Dehli.

Had I ended up in the Indian Ocean, then I suppose I might have been around the world in northern hemisphere, but alas, no.

Been in the Med (and a few associated seas and gulfs), the Atlantic, the Pacific, the Red Sea, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, and the Arabian Gulf.

Been to North America (US & Mexico), islands of the Caribbean, whatever parts of Central America when we were around Colombian waters (I suppose I could say I've been to South America.....but for some reason, I don't); Europe as in France, Sicily, Sardina, Germany, Italy, Greece, and Spain (1 way or another); Asia as in Turkey, Jordan, Iran, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, Phillipeans, and India; and Africa as in Egypt, Ethiopia, and what was then Ethiopia. As far as Libya, well, that is a matter of definition, to whether we weren't in their waters (US) or we were (Libya).

I haven't been everywhere, man.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:47 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
Quote:
OK, I visited Paris, Toronto, and Seoul. Now I claim I have visited Europe, the Americas and Asia.
Versus denying it?

That's accurate. Normal people who aren't weird would then say where in those continents if it were to come up like that.

"Has anyone been to Asia?"

"YES! Me!"

It's not a lie. And a normal person would then say "Yes! Me! I've been to Seoul Korea."

That's ASIA, right? Per you. LOL

Nobody in the entire world believes that visiting one city disqualifies you from saying you were in that country. Nobody in the entire world believes that you have to TOUR a country to say you've been there.

What's your criteria? How many cities/towns/villages?

But it's a non sequitur to the original poster's question.

Now you go to continents. Nobody is asking about or talking about continents.

Why didn't you answer my question? Instead of Reductio ad absurdum and jumping to continents.

If you visited Rome or NYC for two weeks do you deny having been to Italy or New York?

And if you ask someone where they're from and they say ITALY but never left their city of Rome, are they liars?

If they're not from Italy where are they from?

BTW there are about 2400 Greek islands so don't tell me you've been to Greece unless you've seen them all. AND the mainland regions. And if you haven't toured the Peleponnesos, you can't "claim" to have been to Greece because everybody knows it's the only REAL Greece. Not the FAKE one.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-23-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 12:54 PM

11,704 posts, read 6,293,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That pretty close to cheating, but then you have been there. You can add it to your list, but donít try to tell people how much you liked or disliked it with such a brief visit.
This. The only story I have like this is when I had an 18hr layover in Seoul when en route to Beijing for the 2008 summer games. While I was definitely in South Korea and have no problem telling people that, I'm always careful to include the caveat that I stayed in the airport; truth be told, I didn't realize that I could leave the airport without a visa or else I would have done so. And I definitely can't claim to like/dislike a city/country based off of an airport visit alone.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:20 PM

3,898 posts, read 1,655,140 times
Quote:
no, no, no, no.
Teddy Roosevelt dug a big ditch in Panama. So you've visited Europe, North America, and Asia.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:16 PM

5,466 posts, read 2,925,752 times
No, I do not.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,016,856 times
This discussion has me envisioning amusing conversations:

Them: Have you ever been to Asia?
Bot: No, I've only been to Seoul.
Them: Ummmmmmmmmm.......

Old 09-23-2017, 06:02 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,644,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I spent an afternoon at Hong Kong international airport, before taking the long flight back to my home country. I walked around the airport, and got a good look at the city's interesting scenery, through the airport windows. If I tell people that I've been to Hong Kong, is that lying or being disingenuous?

Disingenuous.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:03 PM

4,177 posts, read 1,901,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You saw Hong Kong from the current Hong Kong Airport?

no... layovers count only if you pass immigration, and leave the airport (in a general sense).

Technically, you have placed foot on the soil while in the airport. And some airports are quite a destination!
Son, when he was younger, was airport terminal enthusiast. We let him roam the terminal at ~6yo. He always found us again He's less enthusiastic now that he does some business travel.
He only counts airports not states or countries.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 PM

15,909 posts, read 6,264,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I spent an afternoon at Hong Kong international airport, before taking the long flight back to my home country. I walked around the airport, and got a good look at the city's interesting scenery, through the airport windows. If I tell people that I've been to Hong Kong, is that lying or being disingenuous?
I wouldn't call it lying but I would qualify it for what it was. But here's an interesting hybrid.

I'll first say that I'd been to Barbados in 1972 and 1992. In 1995 on our way back from St. Lucia our plane had a four hour layover in Barbados. We took a cab into town, did a bit of shopping and came back. Had I not been there before, would that have counted?

Or in 1991 on our honeymoon we took a sidetrip from the U.S. Virgin Islands to the British Virgin Islands, length of stay about two hours. Does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or